Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2020 10:28:40 PM EDT
I've got about 350 rounds downrange with the Masada as of today.

Basics:  

• 2 x 17 round magazines, with remarkably stiff springs.

• Comes with 3 backstraps (small, medium and large), and optic mounting kit with 4 RDS-specific spacer plates and appropriate screws.   The optic cut cover and all the mounting plates are plastic.

• The RDS plates included are for: Deltapoint, RMR, Venom, and Romeo 1.

• Trigger pull is 4 lbs, about 4.5mm worth of takeup and another 4mm of smooth, non-stacking creep.

• Ambi mag release and ambi slide release.

• Steel 3-dot sights.

Handling and shooting impressions:  

• Good hand feel for me, I left the medium backstrap installed.

• Trigger has a great pull, but trigger slap does occur on mine.   Out of the box, shooting a few mags of mildly hot 9mm earns you a stinging trigger finger.    After mounting a RDS, the trigger slap was softened and all but unnoticeable.  The Glock-type safety dingus isn't really a problem.  I'd put about 100 rounds through it before I installed the Vortex Venom RDS, and the trigger slap was unpleasant enough that I was considering getting rid of the gun.  After installing the RDS and putting 250 more rounds through it with considerably tamed trigger slap, I feel like it was built and intended for RDS use exclusively.

• Sights are very much a "combat hold" setup, where the POI is about where the white dot on the front sight is.   I was using a 6'oclock hold at about 10 yards and my group was about 1.5"-2" below the 1" dot that I was resting atop my front sight.

• Accuracy was about average for your typical $400 polymer combat pistol, about on par with my S&W M&P 1.0s, at least while shooting irons. The rear sight notch is a bit too wide for me, so that likely contributed.  With the RDS, accuracy seemed to tighten up to the point I had no complaints.

• Reloads were not as fast as I'd have liked.   The front of the magazine extends up into a "tab" that is prone to catch on the frontstrap side of the mag opening.  The mag opening has a pretty good bevel on the rear but not on the sides or front, which are thin; and the recessed area on both sides doesn't do you any favors, either.  The mag release button is a bit small and requires me to twist the gun just a bit to hit it reliably, but since this is an ambi mag button, I may just work on hitting it with my trigger finger instead.  At least the mags eject briskly.

• Slide release is large and easy to hit but not big enough to be in the way.

• The gun doesn't seem all that fat, but the only holster it would fit in is the one for my Steyr M9, which, along with the Beretta APX, has the fattest slide of any gun I own.  Fortunately, the Steyr, APX, and Masada all fit very nicely into the same holster, so that what I'll use.

• Reliability was 100% with my ammo, which are 115 gr coated lead reloads running about 1200 FPS.

Summary:
An exceptional value at a little over $400.   Trigger slap is something to watch out for, maybe it was just my gun, but installing a RDS made that a non-issue.  Due to its magwell, mag changes are a little slow.  Accuracy and reliability earn an "A" for me.  Sights adequate but not optimal.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for taking the time to do a write-up. The Masada is very much a "meh" pistol for me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:04:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Masada is very much a "meh" pistol for me.
View Quote
Same here for me.  I do think the Masada is a great option for someone wanting to try a red dot and not spend a ton of money.  The grip feels quite thin to me for a full sized pistol.  David
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Same here for me.  I do think the Masada is a great option for someone wanting to try a red dot and not spend a ton of money.  
View Quote
+3

For a good cheap red dot gun, I'd consider the Girsan MC28 which is essentially an overbuilt M&P with a nice grip and a Glock-style trigger.  I've seen them WITH a red dot for under $350 shipped
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+3

For a good cheap red dot gun, I'd consider the Girsan MC28 which is essentially an overbuilt M&P with a nice grip and a Glock-style trigger.  I've seen them WITH a red dot for under $350 shipped
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/62106-DEFAULT-l.jpg
View Quote
I've seen those MC28s.  I can't imagine the red dot is going to hold up very well or not eat batteries.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for posting OP.

Have been thinking about one of these.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+3

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/62106-DEFAULT-l.jpg
View Quote
I am intrigued. That grip looks similar to the Beretta APX grip.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks for posting this. I picked up a Masada a month ago, and have run 1500 rds through it so far. i like this gun far more than I thought I would. optics ready out of the box is a big deal. it’s not only pre-cut, the inclusion of mounting plates is a bonus in my eyes. I put a Vortex Venom on it, and the gun is meant for a RDS, I think. fit, finish is very good, trigger has variations gun to gun. I tried 6 before settling on mine, and it’s a better trigger than the Apex I put in my 19X.

low bore axis, comfortable grip, soft recoiling, accurate. it’s better than my Canik, Girsan, more comfortable shooting than my M&P. it completely holds it’s own with my 19X. extra mags are available and  priced below Glock mags here (Canada).

This is a great pistol for this price point. it’s a really nice shooting gun. i ordered a Dara Holster, just arrived and fits perfectly. it’s quickly become a favorite for the range. I like this gun, a lot
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Update:

Recently I installed a RMR06 3.25 MOA dot model and tweaked one of my IWB holsters to accommodate it.   Then I put another 900 rounds through it, so by my estimate I have about 2200 rounds through the Masada.

I'm happy to report that I've had zero malfunctions so far; almost all ammo has been my RN reloads.   The trigger slap is 100% gone at this point.   Reloads aren't quite as smooth as I'd like, due to the shape of the mag well, but that's the only thing I can complain about.  I've been carrying the gun for about a week now and so far, so good.   The ergos continue to impress me: all the controls are where they should be and are easy to use without any conscious thought or re-adjustment.  

Next thing on the list is to get a set of higher sights.   The RMR sight body pretty much covers the front sight so I can't use it for any kind of index.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Thankyou for the review, i've been considering this along with the CZp10c as a budget optics platform...
The Steyr m9 is one of my favourite, chubby poly guns to shoot, so curious on your opinion of how it compares to the Masada
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#10]
The Masada has a higher bore axis than the M9 (but what doesn't?)

The M9 has almost no useful texturing on the front and backstrap.   The Masada does, although it could go further up the sides of the grip than it already does (to be perfect).  Masada also has the removable backstraps with sides that extend forward about halfway along the sides; they're held on with a roll pin.  The M9's backstrap has a long beavertail overhang that can get uncomfortable with a high grip and extended shooting sessions; Masada is more comfortable in that spot, for me.

The M9's trigger reset is very soft, the Masada's more noticeable.  Reset distance is about the same.  The trigger weights are comparable on mine, but while the Steyr has a short bit of gritty creep, the Masada has a longer, smoother creep.

The M9 has a mag release button that I always felt was too subtle... found myself hunting around for it more than once.   Masada's, while a smaller button, is easier to find with your thumb (and it's ambi, so your trigger finger can hit it too).

M9's slide release is well-placed but relatively tiny compared to Masada's, which is large and easy to activate.  Masada has front slide serrations the M9 lacks.

M9 has a stiff recoil spring and prefers hot ammo... occasional stovepipes have occurred for me with 9mm loaded to minor power factor (125gr @ 1000 FPS).  The Masada has run everything I've put through it so far.

The tactical rail on both is about the same length but the M9 has only one cross slot to Masada's four (not sure if this has any practical advantage).

Both guns have an unflared mag opening not conducive to quick reloads.  Both have baseplates which can be grabbed by the sides to rip out a stuck mag.

Both guns take down the same way (lock slide back, swing lever down, unlock slide, pull trigger to release slide)... though the M9 has the added step of depressing the safety button.

M9 has a notch in the barrel hood to inspect for a loaded round.  Masada has a red-edged extractor that is supposed to act as LCI.

Masada mag springs are even more stiff than the Steyr mags.  

Accuracy: I think the Steyr edges it out with iron sights.   Speaking of sights, the Masada sights are serviceable but not the best.  The rear sight is rather narrow.  However, SIG sights are supposed to fit the dovetails, so you have a good variety of replacement options.  With a red dot mounted, the Masada is accurate enough but not remarkably so.  

The Steyr comes back on target quicker because of the bore axis.   The Masada, out of the box with iron sights, had a noticeable case of trigger slap -- not awful, but there.   That seems to have vanished when I installed a RDS, so I conclude the recoil system was designed to work primarily with a sight installed.

The Steyr feels tight and well machined while the Masada is a bit more loose feeling and the interior toolmarks a little more noticeable.  

Do take note that the Masada has an interior chassis system like the P320, so you could theoretically toss the whole grip.   I think this account for the relative bulk of the Masada.

Link Posted: 4/13/2020 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do take note that the Masada has an interior chassis system like the P320, so you could theoretically toss the whole grip.   I think this account for the relative bulk of the Masada.

View Quote

So does Steyr, that's why they sued Sig...
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The M9A1 still has the SN affixed to the polymer frame, so while it technically uses an internal chassis, it really isn't practical to swap grips.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Thankyou for the very comprehensive run down- I agree with almost all your observations on the M9, although mine has functioned flawlessly within the narrow range of ammo I've tried. The trigger on my example is very short tale up with some creep, but no grittiness. As a range gun, it's one of my favorites- all that is down to very non-hurried reloads and "pointability", coupled with very managable recoil. However I agree with your observations on grip texture, magwell and mag release.
The new A2 series looks like they incorporated many of your notes....

Link Posted: 6/8/2020 7:37:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Update:

I ordered tall iron sights for the Masada and installed them.  Not knowing exactly what to order, I picked a .330" tall front and a .325" high rear SIG P320 sight.

The sight picture in the window was good, but it was shooting a bit low.   I had to take .033" off the front sight before it was hitting POA at 20 yards.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Update:

I ordered tall iron sights for the Masada and installed them.  Not knowing exactly what to order, I picked a .330" tall front and a .325" high rear SIG P320 sight.

The sight picture in the window was good, but it was shooting a bit low.   I had to take .033" off the front sight before it was hitting POA at 20 yards.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9714/masada-4_jpg-1453313.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/9714/masada-sights_jpg-1453315.JPG
View Quote

I kept the rear and added a Dawson. Worked well, but I wish it weren't so thin.
1 × Dawson Precision Sig P320 Fiber Optic Front Sights
Sight Height and Width:
.195" Tall x  .100" Wide Patridge Serrated  $39.00
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top