Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2020 9:32:36 PM EDT
Just found out on my next assignment I will have to carry a Beretta 92 / M9 concealed in a very antigun country and sensitive settings (legally, but prefer to avoid drama).  I have no option to switch pistols unfortunately (M11 not an option, M18 not fielded yet at this location).  Attire will be business casual with suit jacket.

When I CCW at home 95% of the time its OWB because I don't really care about printing in most contexts (or its in a duty holster open carry), or a single stack 9 in a pocket holster if I have to go really low key.  I haven't CCW'd a full size pistol IWB in years -- last holster I had for that style was a Crossbreed Supertuck.  I don't think OWB is going to cut it for this gig.  I was going to go with a lighter weight jacket to avoid dying of heat stroke so shoulder holster probably not a great choice either.

What's the best in breed these days for IWB?  Still one of the hybrid leather/kydex rigs?  Alien Gear looks promising for a reasonable price point.  I use Safariland and Comp-Tac 99% of the time for other uses, but none of their stuff is really jumping out at me for IWB.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#1]
When I carried the 92 concealed it used it be in the old Bianchi leather snap holster with the adjustable belt loop for what angle you wanted to carry it at.

If I was going to do it now, I'd look at CrossBreed or Alien Gear.  

I was like this but had a set screw and an adjustment wheel.

Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
How much lead time you have? And money?

Not much money or time? Muddy River Tactical

Have money and some time? NSR Tactical

Broke as shit and need it now? Concealment express

Make sure to get soft loops too and the best holster I’ve ever carried is the NSR, distant 2nd Muddy River, distant 3rd Concealment express.

I have heard good things of other brands, but I’ll only mention what I have experience with

ETA: I have had terrible luck with Alien Gear, shitty screws and soaks up sweat like a sponge
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 5:00:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I've good use over the decades with Bruce Nelson original Summer Special.  Several companies make it today.  Have a copy also from Milt Sparks in the Summer Special III.  Think Bianchi calls it the Askins Avenger.  Just remember a good belt and pants on size larger.

CD
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Kramer horse hide IWB. If you're going to sweat, horse hide is better.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the point outs!  Appreciate it.  Been awhile since I went the IWB route with a full frame pistol.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought an Alien Hear for my M9A1 and it was extremely comfy.

On par with my Crossbreed Supertuck horshide for my 1911's. I would give it a very solid recommendation.

Good luck and stay safe.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd say go with Kydex. If you have to draw for whatever reason for whatever job you do, you'll want it fast. Kydex is extremely durable, it's easy to use, it has adjustable retention, and is far more comfy than it looks. Leather can give you problems, especially if it's cheap. Leather/kydex combos always give me problems — they can begin to separate, or maybe not lock up as tight. I do a decent amount of shooting from IWB (maybe 1,000 rounds a month re-holstering every few shots), carry everywhere I legally can, and have been carrying ever since I had the ability to. Not to knock other peoples' choices, or to downtalk them, or make anyone feel bad about their choice, but these are just my experiences, and my opinions, in my situation. I'm no expert, but at this point, I do feel comfortable in making suggestions to people that might actually have to use it in a life-or-death situation.

I love JM Custom Kydex holsters. They dont have as many options as far as attachments go as some other places, but they are excellent, especially for a stock M9. If you have the time to wait, get this. It's still my favorite way to carry my M9. Their Type 3 is what i use IIRC.

If you're using the G-SD model, or a Wilson M92BT, or another railed model Beretta with a light on it, check out Red Hill Tactical. I use them for IWB carry of my wilson with an X300V. Lockup isnt as tight, but it's tight enough, and the loose-feeling is probably because of my light (it's made to fit an X300U but the V kinda fits, so i use it)

Other options I can think of are Safariland, T-Rex Arms, and Tier 1 Concealed. I haven't used, or personally heard good things from people I trust, any other company besides these. I'm not sure these all offer IWB for an M9, but if they do they're GTG. JM being my personal favorite, but they have quite a lead time.

Those quick-clips are nice if you need to take your holster off frequently, but i'd recommend getting a metal one if possible - they're way more secure. Most of these clips are standardized, so JM's quick-clips fit right on my RHT holster, and vice versa. I carry my Wilson M92BT at 1 O'Clock with an X300V on it (it's the thick-slide full-sized M9 with a white/IR flashlight) in the RHT holster, and that doesn't print at all (albeit in the slightly baggy) clothes I wear. YMMV. I also carry an HK45C in a JM Custom, and that's almost as comfortable as my fullsized M92FS that I carry in my other JM Custom. Make sure to get a neutral color kydex, because if it does print, then maybe the holster will blend with your skin and help, rather than be a bright red that pops. Spend money on a quality holster, because that extra 30$ on it could save you a whole lot of trouble. Spend extra for those wedges, extra attachment methods, all that, because if you actually need this thing and truly have to conceal it, these will be that little extra help you might just need. Practice your draw a ton, practice wearing it, try different attachment methods, try to sit and stand and jump and crouch and lie down and lift things with it on, to see how tight you need the retention to be.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#8]
My favorite IWB holsters are the hybrid types, like the CrossBreed SuperTuck and the Alien Gear. I have a SuperTuck that I used to use for my various 9mm and .40 Glocks (and sometimes currently use for my full sized 9mm M&P; amazingly enough, it fits well into the Glock holster and locks in securely) and an Alien Gear that I currently use for my 9mm Shield. The larger footprint of the hybrid type holsters spreads the weight out more, making it more comfortable, IMO. A possible downside is that it also takes up a lot of real estate on the belt, if that matters to you. I used my CrossBreed full time for 3 or 4 years before switching to the Alien Gear. I have been using the Alien Gear religiously for 4 or 5 years now and no issues at all. It is still in good shape. I have gotten down on the ground many times and wrestled around with my kids, no issues with retention on either. I have also jumped on the trampoline with both (when we had one, anyway), again no issues with retention with either. The gun slides in and "clicks" in well. Not quite the same as ground fighting, but the best I can do in the "suburban wasteland".

I can''t remember the actual web address, but if you search for CrossBreed Seconds, you should end up at the website for "seconds" from CrossBreed. Most are holsters that were returned, were made but didn't ship or may have minor cosmetic blemishes that won't effect anything. The holsters are in stock and should ship the next business day after being ordered (notice I said "should", kinda hard to tell with all the WuFlu panic going on and if CrossBreed is even working right now). They are also discounted, which always helps. You have to really look. They may not have anything at any one time for a given gun, but their descriptions are good and you will be able to tell.

Whatever kind of holster you go with, since you say you will be in a hot location, horse hide may be a good idea. Horse hide is a lot more moisture resistant than cow hide. I have never sweated through any of my cow hide holsters, but I also try to go from AC to AC during the summer, and NE Ohio isn't as hot as some of the locations where I think you may be headed. Not a requirement, more of a "nice to have" if you can arrange it in the time frame you need.

Having said that, the M9 or 92FS is a large, heavy, bulky gun. No matter what kind of holster you use, it will be noticeable to you when carrying. One saving grace of the 92 platform is that while kinda bulky, the butt is relatively short (top to bottom) when compared to some other full sized guns, which should help with concealment. Just be aware that, whatever kind of holster that you end up with, it won't be as concealable as a smaller gun. I'm sure that you already know that, but it never hurts to point it out. In my experience, they are good guns, however, and the Beretta should do anything that you need it to do. In fact, I am of the opinion that the 92FS (when cared for and maintained, anyway, unlike the way the military services seem to do things) is one of the best DA/SA guns out there, especially since you can get them with 17rd magazines now. From all of the DA/SA guns I have shot, I like the Beretta the best. if I were restricted to a DA/SA auto and weren't able to carry my M&P at my PD job, the Beretta would be a top contender for the job. Stay safe, wherever you are headed to.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Crossbreed Supertuck
View Quote

When I did carry the M9 IWB it was in this.  Do your own combat cut around the gun though so it works for you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:40:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd go hybrid IWB. While I'm normally against such things...they do make a big block of a gun like that more comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 6:07:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#12]
OP, you answered your own question in the first post....crossbreed supertuck.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 10:20:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Ive carried full size guns (poly guns, so different because of weight) in full kydex holsters (Raven when they first came out, KT Mech has been good, they are the same style) and CompTac CTAC, which was one of my first holsters and took a little bit of time to get used to it, as the screws on the leather wings dug into my fat handles.

Ive had some other holsters, and usually end up with these again depending on the gun. My next holster will be a JMCK AIWB, but I dont think thats what youre looking for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top