Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2023 1:36:12 PM EDT
I'm brand new to the pistol comp game. I think I'm settled on an Agency Arms 417. Should I go with a OEM threaded barrel, or an aftermarket one? I know they advertise that it works fine with all OEM parts, but should I get a different spring weight guiderod?

Any other advice?
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Over the last couple years I’ve played around with a bunch of comp/port variations. The best I’ve found have been the PMM Ultra JTTC (dual port) comp and the Monsoon Tactical Lucky 7 ports. I’ve also run the PMM JTTC (single port), the Radian Afterbuner/Ramjet and the Southwest Precision single port comp. They all have one thing in common - to get the most benefit out of them you need to change different springs. All of them ran with stock springs (with the exception of the comp I had on a Glock 26).

I’d say start by switching out the recoil spring for a 15lb to start with.

I ran a Silencerco barrel on G26 and an AIM barrel with the SWP comp. The Ultra and the Radian take proprietary barrels. I’d start with an AIM barrel. Hard to beat the price. I’ve got several.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried the Arc Division SPARC-M V2 Compensator on my G19.4 clone and it wouldn’t run with training ammo and the stock springs so I ended up getting rid of it.

I’ve since had Monsoon’s Lucky 7’s porting done to my SA Prodigy and am considering them for my G34.5.

Also, it seems porting works slightly better than compensating:

Ported Barrel vs Thread-On Compensator - Which Shoots Flatter or Softer?
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless you're shooting +P ammo, a comp is completely worthless with standard velocity ammo.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll need an aftermarket barrel threaded for 1/2x28tpi.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought the "super single" by Mac Defense looks interesting.  I have not done it.

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you're shooting +P ammo, a comp is completely worthless with standard velocity ammo.
View Quote

That is not true at all and where do you even get your supporting data to draw that conclusion when all the data shows the complete opposite.  The whole premise of a comp is to direct blast/energy in the direction of muzzle rise to counter the force making your muzzle rise.  So unless the laws of physics have changed your statement is flat wrong.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought the "super single" by Mac Defense looks interesting.  I have not done it.

https://d2j6dbq0eux0bg.cloudfront.net/images/13821273/1783613611.jpg
View Quote

Have it on a 43x. 124 nato was smoother to shoot. Haven’t shot that gun much though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 7:59:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why didn’t OP ask this question while PMM was having 10% off?
View Quote

Just wait for the next big holiday.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That is not true at all and where do you even get your supporting data to draw that conclusion when all the data shows the complete opposite.  The whole premise of a comp is to direct blast/energy in the direction of muzzle rise to counter the force making your muzzle rise.  So unless the laws of physics have changed your statement is flat wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More gas often means more effective dampening of muzzle rise.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, but ports/comps might make the +P round feel like a non-ported/comped standard velocity round. While the port/comp will make the standard velocity feel even softer.

I just did this test with two 5” SA Prodigy’s. One was stock and one with Monsoon Tactical’s Lucky 7 ports. I will say that the difference is more appreciable when comparing the guns with hotter ammo. But the 5” Prodigy is a heavy gun with minimal recoil in the first place.

The lighter the gun, the more obvious it is ports/comps help. But you really need to shoot a direct comparison between a stock and ported/comped version of the same make/model gun with the same ammo to make any observations on a particular combo of gun, port/comp, and ammo.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, let me see if I have this right. A compensator WILL NOT work for a round that has 35,000 PSI of pressure (standard 9mm), but it WILL work for a round that has 21,000 PSI of pressure (.45 ACP). [sarcasm] Yeah, I can see how this would happen. [end/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have no quantifiable data to show the difference but if you are increasing gas you are also increasing the recoil so the more gas just means you are countering the already higher recoil.  So is it a wash?
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 12:08:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have no quantifiable data to show the difference but if you are increasing gas you are also increasing the recoil so the more gas just means you are countering the already higher recoil.  So is it a wash?
View Quote

Maybe, but it will feel like that when comparing softer shooting ammo out of the same ported/comped gun.

When you compare between a ported/comped gun and stock of the same make/model the assistance of the port/comp is more obvious with higher pressure loads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top