Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2018 10:33:49 PM EDT
I want to get my kids use to shooting a full size mil spec or plain jane 1911. What are your suggestions without breaking the bank?
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know most of the alloy frame 1911 pattern .22’s are all made by gsg regardless of who put a name on them (sig for example)
Much more costly is the kimber 22 which I feel is definitely a step up, and then there is the 3/4 size browning.
If you already have 1911 pistol the easy answer is a good quality conversion kit such as a marvel
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:18:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Colt .22 conversion I picked up at a gun show.
Advantage Arms and Tactical Solutions make conversions.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The kimber upper works well for me.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:23:07 PM EDT
[#4]
A 1911 with a .22 conversion.  Recoil is *ridiculously* tiny.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use a Colt .22 conversion I picked up at a gun show.
Advantage Arms and Tactical Solutions make conversions.
I ended up with a Colt too: It most closely parallels my full bore 1911s, especially since it is using my Combat Elite's frame and excellent trigger

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe I've read your post incorrectly?

So then.......a genuine Colt ACE with floating chamber is probably what you're seeking.  Because, it feels like a "somewhat real" .45 ACP recoil wise.  But then, IMHO, it's not really suitable for kids.  YES, it's that close in feel (recoil wise).  Though shooting cheap 22LR.

But, perhaps the kids need to grow a bit?  Thinking about hand size and grip size matching. Ooops.....you never even mentioned how old your kids were or previous experience with firearms.

So then......if you're looking for a target like 22LR with the grip size/angle etc.  
of a M1911 (w/o the recoil feeling).  Then YES, a conversion kit.  It can be fun, economical and a good trainer for kids (as another step up).

Of course, it's only my opinion.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe I've read your post incorrectly?

So then.......a genuine Colt ACE with floating chamber is probably what you're seeking.  Because, it feels like a "somewhat real" .45 ACP recoil wise.  But then, IMHO, it's not really suitable for kids.  YES, it's that close in feel (recoil wise).  Though shooting cheap 22LR.

But, perhaps the kids need to grow a bit?  Ooops.....you never even mentioned how old your kids were.

So then......if you're looking for a target like 22LR with the grip size/angle etc.  
of a M1911 (w/o the recoil feeling).  Then YES, a conversion kit.  It can be fun, economical and a good trainer for kids (as a first).

Of course, it's only my opinion.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote
My Colt Conversion Unit is also a floating chamber.

Using it on a series 80 frame required my removing the series 80 firing pin block lever, and putting this shim in its place https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/frame-hardware/fillers/tj-s-1911-series-80-to-series-70-conversion-shims--prod13121.aspx
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]
WOW!   An ACE conversion is expensive now a days.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/780532490  

And while searching, I also saw a Colt ACE conversion (ACE II) made for their Series 80 frame.    But, the pictures didn't show if it had the "floating chamber."

Aloha, Mark

PS.....the Colt ACE conversion and/or genuine ACE pistol, aren't all that accurate.  I've owned them both and sold them.  In favor of my S&W M41.  LOL.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
WOW!   An ACE conversion is expensive now a days.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/780532490  

And while searching, I also saw a Colt ACE conversion (ACE II) made for their Series 80 frame.    But, the pictures didn't show if it had the "floating chamber."

Aloha, Mark

PS.....the Colt ACE conversion and/or genuine ACE pistol, aren't all that accurate.  I've owned them both and sold them.  In favor of my S&W M41.  LOL.
View Quote
Once you've got a 1911 where you want it with regards to trigger pull and weight, fitting, etc., spending another  $475 for a quality subcaliber conversion isn't unreasonable.

Not my sale, but a fine example of what I have : https://www.gunbroker.com/item/780532490
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 6:01:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Marvel conversions are the other option. Made by Bob Marvel and very accurate
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#11]
How about .22 magnum?
I just traded for a NIB Rock Island 22XT magnum today.
Will post a range report soon but so far the only negative reports were concerning early mags being slightly out of spec.
I know magnum isn't as cheap or plentiful as lr but it's a fun caliber.

RIA makes several models in the .22 cal range, including a .22/45 caliber converting model and their proprietary 22 (TCM?) that's a 9mm necked down to .22.
I liked the fixed barrel on the 22XT and there's supposed to be an adjustment for the delay in the delayed blowback.
Looks like the front part of the chamber is reamed out of the barrel and the rear part of the chamber is some type of floating collar that's supposed to control the lockup/delay and aid in extraction.

I've owned a few full size RIAs in .45 & 9mm, this XT has the look & feel of a real .45. I like my 'space toy' PMR-30 but wanted a steel .22wmr pistol.

For those looking for .22 conversions, I heard there's a bunch of Colt conversions popping up on ebay.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I may be biased as a Colt collector, but I'd be looking specifically at Colts
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a NIB ATI conversion (GSG manufactured).
Should I put it in the EE for you?
Does NOT compete in accuracy with Marvel, Ceiner, Kart, but it doesn't compete in price either.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I like my Kimber upper on my Norinco frame, also have 6 ceinter 15 round mags.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Sig 1911-22 and as long as you shoot High Velocity ammo it is pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#16]
My most favorite .22 I ever had was a complete Kimber 1911 lower with a Kimber 22 conversion upper. Superbly accurate, incredibly reliable and just a blast to shoot. I regret selling that thing.

I've had a CZ shadow kit with kadet conversion, a dedicated Ruger SR22 pistol and a 1911 with a high-end Marvel kit on it. All of them have their own drawbacks. Probably my least favorite for reliability was the marvel because it had to be spotlessly clean in order to function so 300 rounds in the thing became as finicky as Paris Hilton in a Morrocan outdoor air food market. No thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Still shooting my GSG 1911, I want to install a Dawson Precision fiber optic rear sight. I already have a red fiber optic front sight. Shot it today with Remington Golden Bullet and it likes that round.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Im a hard core glock guy but its really hard to beat the GSG 22...
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Is there any benefit to getting a new upper conversion for an existing .22 over just buying a gsg? I realize it won't have the nice trigger and all the upgrades from my existing frame, but do they matter as much when shooting .22? It seems strange to spend twice as much to have to switch out the slide on my regular gun when I could just get a whole new gun
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I have Friend’s who own the GSG and Sig but I bought an Advantage Arms standard 1911 kit prior to the release of the GSG.   I bought a RIA 1911 frame and built it to match my RIA 1911 pistol.   I prefer my AA kit with dedicated frame better than the GSG/Sig.   Really depends on what you want and willing to spend.   My AA kit uses an aluminum slide with adjustable sights and locks the slide back on the last round.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/XaFw1W]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Another owner of a Colt Conversion kit.  Got mine back in 91' and trained my kids on it.  The floating chamber used was designed by David M. Williams, same guy who designed the M1 Carbines short gas piston.  My wife likes shooting the conversion as David was her great uncle on her mothers side.

CD
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The kimber upper works well for me.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Tactical solutions conversion.
You can use plastic "Kimber" style mags if you don't care about the slide locking back on empty.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is there any benefit to getting a new upper conversion for an existing .22 over just buying a gsg? I realize it won't have the nice trigger and all the upgrades from my existing frame, but do they matter as much when shooting .22? It seems strange to spend twice as much to have to switch out the slide on my regular gun when I could just get a whole new gun
View Quote
For me the .22 upper was the way to go. It gave me the weight with the forged Steel Norinco lower, the same grip, trigger and safety as the gun I shoot in matches. What’s not to like?
The 15 round mags were an added bonus. Great training aid
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top