Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2022 11:57:50 AM EDT
I have an older TX22 with the real rough barrel.

Just picked up a newer TX22 competition last week.

The new TX22 barrel is nice, normal. My older one, rough, lots of chatter, etc.

Figured I'd try to get my old barrel replaced due to the manufacturing defect but Taurus said no. It's normal for the older barrels to be cut like shit.

I swear people got theirs replaced but they wouldn't budge from not replacing mine.

They said I could buy a new barrel if I'd like but they won't replace it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#1]
A friend had his replaced within the last year because his was keyholing at 10 yards. Did you say your gun had a problem or you didn’t like how the barrel looked internally? Also his was made in the first production run where they admittedly used poor quality steel in their barrels, did you give them a serial number?
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#2]
What series number range were these rough barrels
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:21:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Since 2019, Taurus has been telling me that they'll send me a replacement as soon as they have any good barrels...

I check in every 7-8 months or so and they tell me the same thing...

Still no barrel...

Which reminds me to call again tomorrow (to, most likely, be told the same thing to continue waiting for nothing)...

Pretty disappointing, to say the least...

Forrest
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I called Taurus again today and was told once again that barrels were not available to send me a replacement, and that as soon as they were available they'd send me one.

It's three YEARS now...

I assume that Taurus has been selling new pistols with non-defective barrels these past three years.  Perhaps my assumption is wrong...

Three phucking years...

Way to go, Taurus...

Forrest

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought my TX22 when they first came out, it had the rough barrel. I called and explained that after 50 rds the barrel was leaded up. They were moving to their new facility in Georgia?? They said it would be a while.They sent me a new barrel after three weeks. No charge.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:
A friend had his replaced within the last year because his was keyholing at 10 yards. Did you say your gun had a problem or you didn’t like how the barrel looked internally? Also his was made in the first production run where they admittedly used poor quality steel in their barrels, did you give them a serial number?
View Quote

They had all my info.

Guess I don't really care that they aren't replacing mine seeing as others are still waiting on theirs to get replaced.

No performance issues, just concerned about lead build up. I try to keep it clean.

It's a good little pistol but I won't be buying any more Taurus products.

For a company to have a known manufacture defect and not be willing to correct is a bit concerning to me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#7]
>>It's a good little pistol but I won't be buying any more Taurus products.<<

And I'm wishing I hadn't bought the one I did! Bought a TX-22 Competition on Thursday, put 100 on Friday, and just can't seem to get the lead out. I've thrown everything I have at it, and no dice. I've had skads of Rugers and Buckmarks and never had a leading issue, and if I can't resolve this readily I'll be trading it off and cutting my losses. It's too bad, as I really wanted to like this gun.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:55:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xring04] [#8]
I purchased two of them earlier this year, They both keyholed at 7 yards.  I contacted Taurus and they gave me a shipping label to send them in.  They replaced the barrels and had them back to me within 3 weeks. The new barrels have been fine.  Disappointing two brand new guns would have crap barrels this many years into production.

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Too late for me....gun is long gone! I looked at two other new TX-22s at my LGS and they both had crappy barrels, so that clinched the deal. Lakeline has eluded to making an aftermarket barrel for this gun and if they do, they'll sell a ton of them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I had mine sent in and the barrel swapped, It was returned by the next week. I haven't had the opportunity to take it to the range yet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By RUT:
Too late for me....gun is long gone! I looked at two other new TX-22s at my LGS and they both had crappy barrels, so that clinched the deal. Lakeline has eluded to making an aftermarket barrel for this gun and if they do, they'll sell a ton of them.
View Quote

Looked at a barrel at my LGS today and it was rough as hell with lots of chatter marks.  This was a standard TX22.  I have a competition model coming tomorrow and I hope it's ok.  I've heard the crappy barrels are starting to show up in the competition models too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By molar:

Looked at a barrel at my LGS today and it was rough as hell with lots of chatter marks.  This was a standard TX22.  I have a competition model coming tomorrow and I hope it's ok.  I've heard the crappy barrels are starting to show up in the competition models too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RUT:

Mine is an early TX22 so I wasn't by the chatter marks in mine after I heard about the issue.

I am a bit surprised to hear it's still happening.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By coltc:

Mine is an early TX22 so I wasn't by the chatter marks in mine after I heard about the issue.

I am a bit surprised to hear it's still happening.
View Quote

Picked my TX22 competition up today.  I was worried cause the barrel looks pretty rough, but it shot great and didn't lead to my surprise.  Very pleased with this gun.  I was getting 1" groups at 25 yards with standard velocity compared to 4-5" groups with my MK!V 22/45 Lite which is currently back at Ruger.

Untitled by Adam C, on Flickr" />

Link Posted: 8/30/2022 8:19:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I still say that somewhere in their line, they have on machine turning out bad barrels. The demand is so great they won't take the line down to find it.
I also find it amazing the aftermarket people haven't turned out a replacement barrel for it yet.
Is it the fact that it is threaded on the end or a copyright issue stopping them?
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I have been wanting the comp version, but was waiting for Taurus to release the comp version without the safety like they did with the standard. I got tired of waiting and saw a nice deal on one in the EE so I picked it up.

I took it to the range, put about 500 rounds through it and it performed fine and accuracy seemed to be very good for my level of shooting experience.

I didn't know anything about these barrel issues, so I will have to check my barrel.
What are you looking for to determine if your barrel is bad?
Are you just looking down the barrel from the muzzle end with a flashlight and looking for tooling marks or problems with the rifling?
From my range time with it, I think my barrel is probably fine (no keyholing or large groups, etc.), but still would like to check it out.

One other note. When I first got it from my FFL, I couldn't field strip the damn thing to save my life-despite reading manual, watching YT field strip videos, etc.
I finally stumbled onto this thread where the guy had the same problem.
I found his solution to work for me as well in that I have to give it a little persuasion with the back of my fist and the slide comes off.
Not sure if anyone else experiences this with theirs.

One final note. I did notice that when the firearm is all assembled, the barrel/red dot mount does have a decent amount of side to side play. Is this normal?
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Mav3rick:
I have been wanting the comp version, but was waiting for Taurus to release the comp version without the safety like they did with the standard. I got tired of waiting and saw a nice deal on one in the EE so I picked it up.

I took it to the range, put about 500 rounds through it and it performed fine and accuracy seemed to be very good for my level of shooting experience.

I didn't know anything about these barrel issues, so I will have to check my barrel.
Are you just looking down the barrel from the muzzle end with a flashlight and looking for tooling marks or problems with the rifling?
From my range time with it, I think my barrel is probably fine (no keyholing or large groups, etc.), but still would like to check it out.

One other note. When I first got it from my FFL, I couldn't field strip the damn thing to save my life-despite reading manual, watching YT field strip videos, etc.
I found his solution to work for me as well in that I have to give it a little persuasion with the back of my fist and the slide comes off.

One final note. I did notice that when the firearm is all assembled, the barrel/red dot mount does have a decent amount of side to side play. Is this normal?
View Quote

Your link in that post is the go-to for all things Taurus.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

If it's accurate and doesn't lead badly, you got a good barrel.  I was worried about mine cause it looks pretty rough with tooling marks, etc., but it's very accurate and had almost no leadin after a couple hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#18]

If it's accurate and doesn't lead badly, you got a good barrel.  I was worried about mine cause it looks pretty rough with tooling marks, etc., but it's very accurate and had almost no leadin after a couple hundred rounds.
View Quote

Great. Good to know. Thanks! My only remaining concern is the barrel wobble or play from side to side, not sure if I should be concerned about that since it functions fine and was accurate.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Great. Good to know. Thanks! My only remaining concern is the barrel wobble or play from side to side, not sure if I should be concerned about that since it functions fine and was accurate.
View Quote

Mine has wobble in it.  Still capable of 1-1.5" groups at 25
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 9:15:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Mine has wobble in it.  Still capable of 1-1.5" groups at 25
View Quote

Ok. Thank you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top