Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2020 7:01:41 PM EDT

Talk me out of it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like mine

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm with ya... I want some sort or 627. I just can't decide on barrel length / model.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:22:35 AM EDT
[#3]
One of the best current production S&Ws. Totally forgivable to get an internal lock gun since the no-lock ones are very hard to find for a decent price.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I love the look of the 4" slab side barrel.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ve been looking to buy one for the last year or so but I’ll only buy it if I can examine it first .  Yes I can easily order one from Grab A Gun but then it’s luck of the draw .
Smiths QC is hit or miss these days . LGS got in a PC627 and a PC629 . The 627 had a bad crown and a canted barrel and the 629 had a cylinder gap of .014 .
But the same shop also got in a new 27 and 29 Classic Series and they were just beautiful and perfectly assembled.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I own a 627 and it's easily one of the best firearms I have*

*= That's a bit of a loaded story.

First off, I don't like the 5" barrel on the Performance Center, I wanted a 4" and landed up with the 627 "Pro"

Right out of the box, the thing had a boogered barrel crown and good up rear sight. Back to S&W it went. They fixed the barrel crown and said the rear sight was "within spec".

The DA trigger was solid, but had a noticeable hang up at the end of the pull. I took it to a local smith who is a wiz with S&W revolver triggers and sure enough, the hand was slightly out of timing and was fighting the cylinder at the end of the trigger pull (the best way to test this is to do a trigger pull with the CYL open, if it is smooth the entire length, the timing is slightly off). Long story shot, I had him re-work the trigger. I now only run 38 special reloads through it. I also popped on a Burris FF III red dot. The revolver is a serious steel ringing machine now. SA trigger is so light, it's useless so I only shoot it DA.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 5-inch one and its my USPSA Revolver.

The only caveat I would put is that if you're interested in USPSA with a revolver give a S&W 929 a serious look and maybe the new Super GP100 in 357 Mag or 9mm.  The Super GP100 is a Super Redhawk with the frame extension over the barrel removed.  They are both 8-shooters too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 327.

I maybe like the K frame 7 shot frame better, sits about 1/4" lower in the hand, but the X27 is nice.  

The 5" barrel seems perfect to me, for a gun you are not gonna conceal carry anyway.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 327.

I maybe like the K frame 7 shot frame better, sits about 1/4" lower in the hand, but the X27 is nice.  

The 5" barrel seems perfect to me, for a gun you are not gonna conceal carry anyway.

View Quote
The 7-shooter is the L-frame 686+  K-frame can only support 6 rounds of 38/357.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok.... I just ordered (won) a 627 Pro 4" for $780. I guess I made up my mind!
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Neon_Horse:
Ok.... I just ordered (won) a 627 Pro 4" for $780. I guess I made up my mind!
View Quote

Congrats . We’ll be waiting for pics and a range report.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By typetwelve:
I own a 627 and it's easily one of the best firearms I have*

*= That's a bit of a loaded story.

First off, I don't like the 5" barrel on the Performance Center, I wanted a 4" and landed up with the 627 "Pro"

Right out of the box, the thing had a boogered barrel crown and good up rear sight. Back to S&W it went. They fixed the barrel crown and said the rear sight was "within spec". 

The DA trigger was solid, but had a noticeable hang up at the end of the pull. I took it to a local smith who is a wiz with S&W revolver triggers and sure enough, the hand was slightly out of timing and was fighting the cylinder at the end of the trigger pull (the best way to test this is to do a trigger pull with the CYL open, if it is smooth the entire length, the timing is slightly off). Long story shot, I had him re-work the trigger. I now only run 38 special reloads through it. I also popped on a Burris FF III red dot. The revolver is a serious steel ringing machine now. SA trigger is so light, it's useless so I only shoot it DA.

https://i.imgur.com/UFSfo88h.jpg
View Quote

What red dot mount is that?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Why would I talk you out of it?
That's stupid.
I say buy TWO, get a dual shoulder holster, and dominate your world.

Or buy three, carry two, keep a spare. At 3 o'clock in a holster. With reloads.
3 is one, one is negative 2  

Seriously, just buy it and wear it and shoot it and love it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Nope. Is good...though I've come to prefer my N's in big bores.

For a shootable 357 I like the 66-8. Easier to carry around.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Rick_A:
Nope. Is good...though I've come to prefer my N's in big bores.

For a shootable 357 I like the 66-8. Easier to carry around.
View Quote

I've just come to a place where I realize I should have them all...

And I agree, the 66-8 is awesome. But so are all the other frame sizes... And N frames should also be had in big bores like 44 mag, 45 colt, 10mm (I know- pushing it), etc.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By mcb:
The 7-shooter is the L-frame 686+  K-frame can only support 6 rounds of 38/357.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcb:
Originally Posted By CTomas:
I have a 327.

I maybe like the K frame 7 shot frame better, sits about 1/4" lower in the hand, but the X27 is nice.  

The 5" barrel seems perfect to me, for a gun you are not gonna conceal carry anyway. 

The 7-shooter is the L-frame 686+  K-frame can only support 6 rounds of 38/357.

That's right, I misspoke.  thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By chewbacca:

What red dot mount is that? 
View Quote

Allchin:

https://allchingunparts.com/products/smith-wesson-mini-sts-scope-mount.html

It's a really nice mount, fits great and looks good too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Congrats on the 4".
I love my 5" for Steel and USPSA. It is a pussycat with mild 38 S&W or 38 short colt.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top