Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2019 4:53:38 PM EDT
Not really sure why, but I've always loved them.

I'm not a huge 44 mag guy, but I do own 3 or 4 Ruger single actions. I inherited them from my pop when he passed a few years ago. He loved them.

I have literally 4 ammo cans full of reloads he loaded. But I'm sure they're all really hot, as that's what he liked and why he owned Rugers.

Anyway, I am not sure what the 329 pd is capable of handling, so maybe the reloads wouldn't be usable in the Smith.

I still want one. I know Smith has gone through several iterations on these guns. Is there any reason (other than the lock) I should avoid new and buy an older one?
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Until it was magnaported, mine had a muzzle flip that was unacceptable.  Now it's great to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Until it was magnaported, mine had a muzzle flip that was unacceptable.  Now it's great to shoot.
View Quote
Pics?

I've never fired one but with the light weight I can see that being a problem.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Our Smith rep told us that the 329PD is by far their hardest recoiling hand gun they produce. That including their 460’s, 500’s, and the lightweight snubby 357’s.

I bought one 15 or so years ago when they first came out. I was working as a guide in Western Montana. I realized the gun was not capable of multiple quick shots on target due to recoil so I traded it off.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd be getting a ruger for heavy loads.

I have a 629 and it kicks bad enough.  I'd like a 329 for carry, but it has a reputation of being one of the wickedest recoiling revolvers made due to it's light weight.

If you do get one, put the S&W 500 rubber grips on it.  They help.  I wouldn't do it though.  I'd be getting a ruger for the use you claim.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I need to send mine to Magnaport.  I put the S&W Houge 500 grip on mine and it still hurts to shoot the dang thing.  44 Special loads are fine but Mag loads hurt.  It definitely a carry a lot shoot a little gun.

Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Pics?

I've never fired one but with the light weight I can see that being a problem.
View Quote
If you have never fired one I really suggest you do so before buying one.
Quoted:
Our Smith rep told us that the 329PD is by far their hardest recoiling hand gun they produce. That including their 460’s, 500’s, and the lightweight snubby 357’s.

I bought one 15 or so years ago when they first came out. I was working as a guide in Western Montana. I realized the gun was not capable of multiple quick shots on target due to recoil so I traded it off.
View Quote
It's the worst one I have shot. Even back when I liked abusing myself it was too much for anything other than a range toy to hurt other people with My 3" 629 is about as light as I want one of those things.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd be getting a ruger for heavy loads.

I have a 629 and it kicks bad enough.  I'd like a 329 for carry, but it has a reputation of being one of the wickedest recoiling revolvers made due to it's light weight.

If you do get one, put the S&W 500 rubber grips on it.  They help.  I wouldn't do it though.  I'd be getting a ruger for the use you claim.
View Quote
Not getting it for heavy loads. I have half a dozen Rugers. All single action though.

I just love the looks and am wanting to add something different to the collection.

Honestly debating between this or a nice Hi Power.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you have never fired one I really suggest you do so before buying one.

It's the worst one I have shot. Even back when I liked abusing myself it was too much for anything other than a range toy to hurt other people with My 3" 629 is about as light as I want one of those things.
View Quote
Airweight J frame 357 probably stoutest recoiling handgun I have.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 7:12:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve got one.

It is a cool looking revolver that is painful to shoot (generally speaking).

I hand load 44 Special ammo for mine.

Logically speaking/thinking, shooting 44 Special loads from it place you into the 40 Smith and Wesson/10 MM ball park.  And shooting run of the mill 44 ammo out of it is painful.

All that said, I enjoy carrying and shooting mine.

I carry mine in a diamond d guides choice or a milt sparks #200 AW hip holster.

Enjoy your blaster ;)
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Some people love them other people hate them.
Some people ask how to reduce the "recoil impulse" on a 7 LB 5.56, other people shoot 458 Lott for fun.
I think the only way to tell is to shoot one.
Mine has been on me or with me 24 hr/day since I got it. That's an easy thing given the light weight.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not getting it for heavy loads. I have half a dozen Rugers. All single action though.

I just love the looks and am wanting to add something different to the collection.

Honestly debating between this or a nice Hi Power.
View Quote
It's a unique gun, to be sure.  I still recommend the S&W500 grips for it though.  I've researched the thing, and the one thing they all say is to get the 500's grips.

Like I said, I want one.  But not bad enough to actually buy it, yet.  Sort of waiting for a lightly used one for a really good price.  Personally, I'd be all over the 329 vs a hi-power, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I like recoil.  Love 44 mags. I've even got a 45/70 MR BFR.
I'm not a fan of shooting the 329pd
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Do it I have Rugers I have S&W from 357-500 magnum. If I go out in the woods I take that or the AK backpacker could take both they are light. I swapped to the steel cylinder to match my backpacker and it seemed to help a lot with crimp jump adding just a bit more weight. I do swap to the 460-500 magnum grips though when take it out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do it I have Rugers I have S&W from 357-500 magnum. If I go out in the woods I take that or the AK backpacker could take both they are light. I swapped to the steel cylinder to match my backpacker and it seemed to help a lot with crimp jump adding just a bit more weight. I do swap to the 460-500 magnum grips though when take it out.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326861/613AD321-B0E5-45C3-ACCC-8745E4A2B52C_jpeg-1215128.JPG
View Quote
Nifty. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone swap a steel cylinder in but it makes sense. I always thought the 386XL Hunter (I think that’s right) was a cool setup. Scandium frame with an alloy barrel sleeve but steel cylinder. Balance was hood and it had decent sights I bet it was a good shooter.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#15]
It's an extremely light weight .44 magnum.  That fills a need or a want for some people.
It's going to recoil harder & faster than a steel gun. There is a wide variety of steel .44 RM's (and up) out there for people who don't like 329's.

The light weight lets you carry the gun in ways that would be problematic with a steel N-frame and that's a plus. Like: well higher on the belt (IWB and OWB), without flopping or wanting to roll over to the side, shoulder holster without sagging the harness to the gun side or wanting to flop as much during activity and pocket carry (granted it takes a big pocket but I have coats, jackets and vests that it can be done in).

If someone buys one and doesn't like it, resale value is pretty good. Or they can shoot lower power reloads or factory .44 Special thru it. Taffin called it the ultimate .44 Spc.

But there really isn't anything else available with a better Power to Weight ratio.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I practice with 44 Special in mine. It thumps smartly with full power 44 mags but it's not brutal. I put larger Hgue grips on mine which was a big improvement over the grips it came with.

I got it since I live in the mountains with griz around, and the 329PD is super-lightweight to carry in a chest holster.

Definitely a niche gun for those in steep country with large bears around.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 10:27:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I've toyed with the thought of buying one, but after shooting one will factory .44 mag loads, I doubted I could place more than one shot on target due to recoil.

I have several other .44s for hiking and appreciate the added weight.  I would go either a Model 69 4.25" if weight is an issue, or Ruger Alaskan if you want a tank that is lighter weight than longer barrel counterparts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#18]
1.  I want one.  I have the 1.875" S&W 360 .357 that weighs in at a whopping 14.3 oz and this would complement that one nicely.

2.  If it makes more sense to shoot .44 special in the damn thing anyhow, there's this gun and it's over 3 ounces lighter. It can also be had for under 400 dollars which I know since I have on on order.

Charter Arms Target Bulldog in .44 Special

https://charterfirearms.com/products/74442-44-target-bulldog-with-4-2-barrel
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I had one, liked it but sold it. I got a Smith M69 and actually like it much better.  I usually carry a 44 with hand load 44 spcl running dogs and woods bopping. That anticipation of what was going to happen when I touched off that 329 is what kept me from shooting it well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I had one for about five years and recently traded it for a 625.  It was my favorite woods gun because of the power to weight ratio it offered. Like others have said, full house 240 gr. loads were far from pleasant to shoot, however with Specials it was a favorite of min on the range. I only parted with it after acquiring a 2.75" Model 69 which I find easier to conceal and carry on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 3:16:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I have the Nightguard which is basically the same thing with fixed sights and a 3" barrel.  You have to put the S&W 500 grips on it if you want to shoot anything resembling full power unless you have fists of steel...

So equipped, I can shoot full power 44 Mag 240 grain loads, at least Winchester white box which I know is fairly powerful because it will cycle my Desert Eagle.  I have not tried the speciality full power loads in 240 grain.  However, I have tried them in 300 grain and they are brutal.

I also own a .454 Ruger and 500 S&W, the Nightguard with the grips and 240 grain loads is more manageable.  I don't what it is about 454 Ruger, but it seems to have recoil worse than you would expect given the level of power.  The 500 S&W with full power Buffalo Bore loads is the worst of the bunch although the 300 grain loads in the Nightguard come close.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have the Nightguard which is basically the same thing with fixed sights and a 3" barrel.  You have to put the S&W 500 grips on it if you want to shoot anything resembling full power unless you have fists of steel...

So equipped, I can shoot full power 44 Mag 240 grain loads, at least Winchester white box which I know is fairly powerful because it will cycle my Desert Eagle.  I have not tried the speciality full power loads in 240 grain.  However, I have tried them in 300 grain and they are brutal.

I also own a .454 Ruger and 500 S&W, the Nightguard with the grips and 240 grain loads is more manageable.  I don't what it is about 454 Ruger, but it seems to have recoil worse than you would expect given the level of power.  The 500 S&W with full power Buffalo Bore loads is the worst of the bunch although the 300 grain loads in the Nightguard come close.
View Quote
Your Night Guard has a steel cylinder so it’s a bit heavier.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Your Night Guard has a steel cylinder so it’s a bit heavier.
View Quote
Did not realize, the internets say the NG is 2.3oz heavier...  I'm sure the S&W 500 grips will still make a huge difference on the PD.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#24]
329PD was a joy to carry and miserable to shoot.

I sold mine and got a 10mm.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 1:38:20 AM EDT
[#25]
When I got an old Model 29, I tried a number of different factory loads.  Most were very similar.  Easily the softest shooting was Blazer Brass.  Easily the most powerful was Privi Partizan.

Privi Partizan was the first ammo I shot out of it, and I thought, "Lord, what on earth have I got myself into?!" (it was the first time I shot 44 Magnum).
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#26]
So OP did you get one ?
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I did not.

OCG had them on sale on December for 899. I missed that.

Then decided I didn't want one with the lock. So still kinda looking.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#28]
There’s a used one on the S&W forum for $750.00 .
Not mine and I don’t know the seller .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top