Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 8/4/2020 10:30:57 PM EDT
Just kidding but...

So I inherited a Python from him via my dad. Now my grandfather was a farmer and not much to do in the winter in Iowa if you’re a farmer so he became an FFL as well. He was the kind of guy if he found a deal on something he would buy 2 or 3 of them. Many of them were never shot and stored for years but he was not a box saver.

So I collect Colts but mostly ARs, Woodsmen and 1911s as the snake guns just bring too much money. I did inherit the Python but I never shot it and never paid much attention to it.

So fast forward and I pull it out and notice it’s marked Python Target and it’s an 8” in shiny nickel. So I do some research and it turns out it’s one of only 251 Colt ever made! It still has the hang tag on the trigger but of course no box. It looks like this.

NOTE: NOT MY AUCTION, I found that pic when I was researching it.

Attachment Attached File

Seems to be a $3000 pistol but would have been worth $5000 with the box. I’m still happy to have it and thanks grandpa and dad but man I wish he kept that box!

TL:DR inherited a rare never fired gun that grandfather threw out the $2000 value box and manual for
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#1]
He should have left it someone else.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 1:02:27 AM EDT
[#2]
It was sarcasm

Like I said, I am happy to own it and don’t think I will ever sell it. I was just pointing out the value of boxes and I have been guilty of throwing some away myself that my kids or grandkids may later curse me for.

That’s not my auction but rather one I found when researching it and I used it’s picture.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He should have left it someone else.
View Quote

Why?  He’s joking tongue in cheek about the box and manual being worth $2000.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I would never call my grandfathers an A-hole.  You can’t please some people
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 12:42:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, you guys have no sense of humor.

Obviously I don’t think my grandfather was an a-hole. It’s more the point of who knew a box would be worth that much? I’m sure he didn’t when he decided to throw it out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 3:15:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the approach of trying to be humorous by calling your gdad a profane name caught some off guard including me.

I wish I had the hindsight of buying a Colt Python years ago and holding on to the box and paper work. Also wished I got a classic Martin guitar and Fender Stratocaster. I had a early model Dodge Challenger but let that go years ago cause I needed the cash. Oh well, such is life.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 4:21:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I get the joke I guess, and he's your grandpa, so I suppose I can't be more offended on his behalf than you can.

It is a funny thing about boxes. I can't think of the last time I got a firearm in a box that was anything special. Nowadays there are just cheap plastic clam shell cases and plain brown cardboard outer cartons. I can only recall old guns being in any nicer packaging than that.

As for value today, I don't quite understand how the original box proves much--it's a reasonable assumption the gun was shot less, but it's still just an assumption. So yeah, adding $2k to the price tag is pretty crazy to me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 4:37:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I get the joke I guess, and he's your grandpa, so I suppose I can't be more offended on his behalf than you can.

It is a funny thing about boxes. I can't think of the last time I got a firearm in a box that was anything special. Nowadays there are just cheap plastic clam shell cases and plain brown cardboard outer cartons. I can only recall old guns being in any nicer packaging than that.

As for value today, I don't quite understand how the original box proves much--it's a reasonable assumption the gun was shot less, but it's still just an assumption. So yeah, adding $2k to the price tag is pretty crazy to me.
View Quote

Colt still does some quite nice outer and inner boxes for their special run 1911s and such. My WW1 reissues had nice packaging.

There is almost always a decent premium for firearm models that are collected that have all the packaging and paperwork and any bits and pieces.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quote OP:
I realized my grandfather was an A-hole

I don't get the Joke either.
But Owell..Wonder why Colt didn't put nicer grips on their guns?

and

Since the value of the gun/box are very similar maybe you could just trade the gun for a empty box?..
Find a guy whos Grandpa was a Real A-hole and left him a empty box and no gun and trade him..everyone happy that way.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Rough crowd in here. That’s still cool you have the gun. You planning on selling it then?
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 5:13:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Best Moment: Rolex Oyster Cosmograph & Documentation, ca. 1971 | ANTIQUES ROADSHOW | PBS

Boxes and paperwork can add a lot of value.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 5:26:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I sold a Silver Snake for 10k a couple of years ago. I did not have the blue Colt labeled pistol zippered carrying pouch, the only piece missing. That reduced the price by $1,500.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Rough crowd in here. That’s still cool you have the gun. You planning on selling it then?
View Quote

No, I am not planning on selling it I don’t think. I collect Colts though my collecting is more 1911s, ARs and Woodsmen. It’s not that I don’t appreciate the snake guns it’s just the price has always kept me away.

I’m one of those people that tends to shoot things I collect though in this case I won’t fire it. So then it becomes kind of a case of having it to have it.

I have too many things already I don’t shoot. Not because I won’t but rather due to time.

It’s a beautiful gun and I’m happy to own it. I only know what it’s worth because I was researching the model and the auction was one of the first things that came up in my search.

My grandfather was a farmer and when you’re a farmer there’s not much to do in the winter so he became an FFL. He was the kind of guy when he found something he liked or a deal on it he would buy 2 or 3.

Most the time they never got shot but oiled up and stored away for years. I”ve added some really nice stuff to my collection thanks to him and I appreciate all of it, even the NIB Haskel which was the predecessor to the Hi Point.

I was just amazed how much the box added to the value. He had things stored everywhere and even if he had saved the box it probably wouldn’t have made it.

Oh, and while he was a good grandfather to me there are probably many people who would have agreed with my joking statement about him. But there are probably a lot who would say the same about me
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Beautiful revolver. Too long of a barrel and too pricey to for me, but always glad to see pics of cool revolvers.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 1:35:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why?  He’s joking tongue in cheek about the box and manual being worth $2000.
View Quote

It's amazing what boxes bring to the dealing counter!
This is why I now keep all of my boxes, lol.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:49:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

When grading a firearm, the Blue Book does say that the original accessories are part of the overall grading process, and the box and manual are part of the original accessories.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top