Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2021 7:44:37 PM EDT
And I discovered one of the stocks is cracked. I took it to the range today and everything stayed intact. Springfield is mailing a replacement.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Are those still around 500? My LGS had one about 6 months ago for 550, i didn't like the new roll mark so i passed it up. I am now regretting it. I hear they work really well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are those still around 500? My LGS had one about 6 months ago for 550, i didn't like the new roll mark so i passed it up. I am now regretting it. I hear they work really well.
View Quote
I've seen them online for $550, but I hesitated and missed out. I paid $599 shipped. I've got to say that the build quality is very good and mine is surprisingly accurate. I haven't been a fan of the new rollamrks either, but I don't really notice them now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#3]
How does the throat look?  They have a history of only feeding hardball consistently.  I know of two examples with this "feature".
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How does the throat look?  They have a history of only feeding hardball consistently.  I know of two examples with this "feature".
View Quote
I'll see if I can get it cleaned up and get a picture tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine from 2000 fed everything. I was 16. Never learned about the unreliable 1911s. All my springfields would and will feed thousands of rounds of ball, hp, swc, etc without a problem.

Except using a few mags from the cmp that caused issues
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 10:14:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a Springfield GI from approximately 2001 that never had an issue, and I bought another in 2010 that was my carry gun for 5yrs that also had a steady diet of fmj, HP's, and SWC's (I started reloading at the same time I bought it).
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:41:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Mine from 2000 fed everything. I was 16. Never learned about the unreliable 1911s. All my springfields would and will feed thousands of rounds of ball, hp, swc, etc without a problem.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first Mil-Spec from 06' fed everything, even that Federal ammo that was recalled for having the wrong powder and being stupid hot... Bought a "Loaded" in 08' that wouldn't even chamber the first round of ball ammo to even fire because of that ill cut chamber feed throat. Springfield replaced it with a new one that runs like a raped ape... Converted her to a dedicated Wood's Gun to run Buffalo Bore's 255gr Hard Cast .45Supers that push 1,100fps, she's never choked yet.  Got a LW 4" barreled Champion Operator in 15' or 16'... runs everything even those Underwood Hard Cast 255 grain wide meplate .45acp+P's rated at 940fps. Bought a Mil-Spec before Christmas, same story, chambers and shoots it all. My experience with owning just 5 Springer 1911's is: They either run hard right out of the box or choke right away leaving little room for wonder about their workings...
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#8]
So, I've got 800 rounds on the gun so far. The only stoppage I had was a round that hung up while feeding. When I ejected the round I noticed that the bullet was set way back. I put the round back in the mag, chambered it, and fired it. This was early on and there's been nothing amiss since.

One thing I've noticed is that it feeds the first round of a mag very smoothly without the typical 45 ACP ka-chunk.

It's also worth noting that I have made the following changes. Before going to the range for the first time, I swapped the arched mainspring housing for a flat one and I put in a Wolff 16 recoil spring and a Wolff 23 lb mainspring. After the first range session, I installed a Harrison retro ignition set, a Colt sear spring, a Wilson BP extractor and steel firing pin, a Dan Wesson thumb safety, Challis bushings, and VZ grips. All of these things are just personal preference and not what I would call necessary. I will also be installing a Harrison small radius firing pin stop.

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top