Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2022 5:21:39 PM EDT
64-5 and 64-8

Let’s look on the inside.  

64-5

64-8

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m going to clean these up. Learn how to do a trigger job.  And polish them up too.  

I got one more.  They were a gift from my dad for my kids.

Any recommendations for stones to buy?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Wait, you mean I'm not supposed to squirt WD40 into the frame every time I clean it?

Just kidding, those should clean up fine.  I've found the "Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner and Dry Lube" works miracles on old gummed up revolvers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]
After you clean up the -4 just a spot of moly on the sliding parts and stay away with the stones.    If you have to have it less reliable, drop in an set of apex springs.    

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]

-4 cleaned up nice in the ultrasonic cleaner.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#5]
My grandpa’s OHP service revolver had an issue, I fixed it by putting it in a box and sending it to Karl Sokol. Worked like a champ.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After you clean up the -4 just a spot of moly on the sliding parts and stay away with the stones.    If you have to have it less reliable, drop in an set of apex springs.    

View Quote

Stoning the sides of the hammer, trigger, and rebound slide will effect reliability how?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Good deal OP.

I've got 2 m64s set aside for my kids too. I've also got 2 ammo cans full of ammo, speed loaders, and a couple pouches set aside for when they move out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice job op. Did you fully disassemble it or just remove the side plate and go from there?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Smiths are relatively easy to take apart.   I’ve never stoned any of mine.  Good clean, a spot of moly here and there and they’re good to go.   I generally don’t bother with spring kits.   Done it a time or but but had light strikes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't play with stones! Without proper jigs, and proper know-how, you are guaranteed to dork it up.
I have never seen a before and after from using an ultra-sound. Nice to see it works well. That said,
learning how to completely remove the innards is not a bad idea, just make sure you watch some competent
YouTubers on how to do so. Then, as the above poster said, nice moly grease on the contact surfaces
before reassembly.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't play with stones! Without proper jigs, and proper know-how, you are guaranteed to dork it up.
I have never seen a before and after from using an ultra-sound. Nice to see it works well. That said,
learning how to completely remove the innards is not a bad idea, just make sure you watch some competent
YouTubers on how to do so. Then, as the above poster said, nice moly grease on the contact surfaces
before reassembly.
View Quote
I want to try just polishing some surfaces, while steering completely clear of the stones and see what that does. Kind of like the old "$0.25 Glock trigger job."
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Here’s after of the ultrasound of the nasty one.  I went ahead and fully disassembled the guts to clean it up further.  In the process, I launched the rebound spring into parts unknown.  I ordered a Wilson combat spring kit and got it working again with the heaviest rebound spring.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Here’s the three sisters together.  I’m going to stay away from stoning them.  I will play around with some springs to see what I can do that I can reverse if needed.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#15]

I’m working on polishing them all up.  It’s time consuming but fun.  

I’m waiting on a set of the nylon hogue grips for the square butt.

Quality wood grips will wait till each girl can pick their own when they’re old enough to get the gun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#16]
What an awesome gift for your dad to give your kids!
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:04:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not just for them.  I’m having a tremendous amount of fun working on them.  

I took the girls across the creek today to clear out around the deer stand and paint steel targets

18 rounds 15 yards Winchester white box 130 grain.  Double action.  I had to pull the grips and tighten main spring screw after the first cylinder due to light primer strikes.  Now it’s 100%.  I can tighten these groups up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#18]
The girls stuck to their Glock 44s and Savage Rascals today.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I generally don’t bother with spring kits.   Done it a time or but but had light strikes.
View Quote

This!

When stoning the sides of moving parts, make sure you also slightly radius the edges, and also do the slots in the frame where they slide.
I use fine synthetic 'Ruby' stones.
They last forever, all of mine were bought back in the late '70s.
If you go to MSC, they are extremely expensive, but from eBay, they are quite cheap (from china).
Second choice are 'India' stones (aluminum oxide), and available from McMaster-Carr.
India stones
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
before reassembly.
View Quote

That's dumb

Don't stone the sear. Stone the sides of the hammer, trigger, and rebound slide.

Make it like butter
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Both my kids have m64s and 2 cases of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's dumb

Don't stone the sear. Stone the sides of the hammer, trigger, and rebound slide.

Make it like butter
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
before reassembly.

That's dumb

Make it like butter

This. Rebound slide, polish, use a good moly lube (Brownells action lube) and an apex spring kit. Be careful to properly re-instal the hand/pawl spring, there a little bend on the base that clips into the tiny hole at the base, tensions the pawl so it presses forward into the slot in the recoil shield and engages the cylinder.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Brownells sells a rebound spring tool . Works great .
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Get you the slowest wadcutters you can find, OP.  Or some .38 Colt loads.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I had to pull the grips and tighten main spring screw after the first cylinder due to light primer strikes.  Now it’s 100%.  I can tighten these groups up.
View Quote

The strain screw should always be cranked down...
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:05:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Are there any trade in Smiths still available?
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Call GT distributors.  They have a Dallas and Austin location.  These came from the Dallas location sometime last year.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Call GT distributors.  They have a Dallas and Austin location.  These came from the Dallas location sometime last year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found a model 65 at guns.com right after posting that. It's on it's way to my dealer now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#31]
The hammer on your 64-4 is definitely hard chrome plated from the factory,  the 64-8 may also be hard chrome plated. Don't bother to stone the sides of the hammer, the chrome is almost as hard as your ruby stones and has the proper finish to hold a little oil to properly lubricate the the hammer. You shouldn't have any burrs on the hammer edges as they were polished before hard chrome plating was put on.
S&W started using the hard chrome plating of carbon steel hammers and triggers after they found that an all stainless steel revolver had terrible trigger pulls due to the sear surfaces galling on each other.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The hammer on your 64-4 is definitely hard chrome plated from the factory,  the 64-8 may also be hard chrome plated. Don't bother to stone the sides of the hammer, the chrome is almost as hard as your ruby stones and has the proper finish to hold a little oil to properly lubricate the the hammer. You shouldn't have any burrs on the hammer edges as they were polished before hard chrome plating was put on.
S&W started using the hard chrome plating of carbon steel hammers and triggers after they found that an all stainless steel revolver had terrible trigger pulls due to the sear surfaces galling on each other.
View Quote

Good info. Thank you
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 5:58:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Copper Custom (I know, I know) has 64-3 64-5 and 64-6 in stock currently.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Copper Custom (I know, I know) has 64-3 64-5 and 64-6 in stock currently.
View Quote

What's wrong with CC?  I like the look of that 64-6.  

You enablers....
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What's wrong with CC?  I like the look of that 64-6.  

You enablers....
View Quote

Here you go:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-MAC-Military-Arms-Channel-Hungarian-SVD-cluster--/5-2435064/?page=1
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:13:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Had a Police trade 64 and sold it,’wish I had it back.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Clean them up and try them before getting "stoned."  You will likely find them to be slick as snot on a door knob.
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#38]

Yeah I sent him a message asking what condition they are in and if I could pay extra for hand-select.  Crickets.

I know its not a high-dollar purchase, but i tend to go back to places that have good customer service; I think a lot of retailers have forgotten about that shit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 7:33:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Had a Police trade 64 a few years back and sold it. Wish I would have kept it, solid guns for the money and they appear to have jumped in price from when I bought mine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 8:17:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's dumb

Make it like butter
View Quote

This, and keep the factory springs. With everything slicked up the trigger pull will feel noticeably “lighter”…
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I found an NHSP marked 66 no dash last year at a shop here.  You bet I snatched it up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is spot on. It’s incredibly hard to do a good trigger job on a S&W revolver and incredibly easy to screw one up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I found an NHSP marked 66 no dash last year at a shop here.  You bet I snatched it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a bunch on GB.

I got tired of looking locally, putting out feelers, etc. and broke down and bought two from GB.

I found the exact models I wanted and reached out to a seller who had several listings.

He gave me a price for two shipped and I jumped on it.  A week later they were at my FFL.

I was planning to drive straight from there to a local gunsmith for a cleaning and bead-blast, or some other refinish, but they were in much better condition than I was expecting.

They'll get the internals cleaned at some point and some nice grips, but otherwise I'm happy with them as received.

I can send the guy's info to anyone interested; I was fully satisfied with our transaction, the guns, and highly recommend him.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#45]
I have been shooting S&W revolvers for 40+ years, and none have ever needed any internal work to function just fine. I am admittedly not a trigger snob, and always found them at least adequate ( which I can live with just fine) to superb. It may also be since with only a couple exceptions bought older used guns that they had smoothed up over time before I got them. I don’t even mind a stock glock trigger.

Keep in mind heavy or gritty but reliable is better than light smooth and unreliable
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I found a very good specimen a month or so ago.  

I did a detail strip take down and deep cleaning.  A little fresh moly grease.  It is still a touch rough.  Gun looks like it was barely ever shot from the lack of wear in on the inside.  A few light light scuffs from carry.  I suppose I could buff it up with a little Flitz polish.

I will say I like the lighter barrels a touch better for balance.  I also prefer the model 15 adjustable sights mostly because they sit a touch higher and are a bit squarer.   Don’t have a M15.  To me they are the perfect .38 special in a 4” gun.   The fixed sight m64 is a gun to endure though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Back when Centerfire Systems was selling the former Michigan State Police S&W 640 backup guns for dirt cheap I bought two. Stripped them both down to clean and lube them. One was bone dry and very clean inside. I expect it was only fired at qualy with no real practice rounds.

The other was bone dry and filthy. Whoever had this one shot it a fair bit.

After cleaning.

I picked up a surplus M64-3 from AIM a while back. Shoots great but I still have not stripped it down to clean. Need to do that someday soon. Got all three of these for $349/ea.

Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What grips are those, both the target and round butt?
View Quote

The K-frame grips are Herrett smooth target in cocobolo.

The two J frames are wearing Sile RB target grips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top