Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2018 12:25:40 AM EDT
I was given this gun by a friend and am curious what I have. My friend said he has owned this for 40 years or so.

The serial number puts it at 1918 production according to Colt's information.

Stamped under the serial number is N.R.A. The serial is 269911.

Anyone here know anything about this?

Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It would have been one of the very, very, VERY few pistols released by the US Army DCM thru the NRA for Camp Perry National Match shooters.

NRA Museum story
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Thanks but I am not a member there. Don't really want to pay another subscription if I don't have to. Was hoping someone here had the knowledge. I also am a member at M1911,org but their website was messed up yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/7/2018 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. That's beautiful. If you look inside the magwell, is it heart shaped at the top and bottom? Any markings on the barrel?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations! You have been appointed caretaker of an Historic American Artifact. You will have to get a 100 year old pistol belt and ammo pouch to go with it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:12:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Classic Colt 1911. Piece of glorious history right there.

That said, those pics tell me you need to lube it up and pound a 1K-rd case of Mil-Spec USGI ball ammo through it, pronto.

Before someone else does.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks but I am not a member there. Don't really want to pay another subscription if I don't have to. Was hoping someone here had the knowledge. I also am a member at M1911,org but their website was messed up yesterday.
View Quote
It’s a free site, like this one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh Yeah...If your going to shoot it and why wouldn't ya? You should put a set of fresh springs in there and maybe a shok-buf...some people don't like the shok-buf. Put all the old springs in the bag the new springs came in and save for historical preservational purposes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#9]
These were a limited post World War One release of 1911’s prior to WWII pretty rare. While shooting with care is a personal decision ( I agree with a fresh recoil spring - the rest of the springs should be fine) keep in mind theses pistols did not have heat treated slides and are prone to damage as a result. I would not be surprised if an NRA marked 1911 in this condition is valued at about 4grand
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:25:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Please do your due diligence - these guns are well documented and very easy to fake to someone who isn't well versed in them...
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Did they hand stamp them NRA ? I've only seen in person and pics ones nicely roll marked NRA.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
These were a limited post World War One release of 1911’s prior to WWII pretty rare. While shooting with care is a personal decision ( I agree with a fresh recoil spring - the rest of the springs should be fine) keep in mind theses pistols did not have heat treated slides and are prone to damage as a result. I would not be surprised if an NRA marked 1911 in this condition is valued at about 4grand
View Quote
I am going with this version...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top