Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2021 2:42:11 PM EDT
Ended up buying the frames. Now buying the parts to finish these up.  Should be a fun ride.

Original post below

I've been wanting a double stack 1911 of my own for a very long time.  I'm hovering over the buy button for a P14/18 frame at a smoking deal of a price.  Only downside is it's got a Clark cut and it's not a railed frame (which I'd prefer but for $100 I almost DGAF).  Any reason I shouldn't do this?  IIRC the trigger and mag release are the only "proprietary" parts.  This isn't a LDA frame.

I used to build 1911s as a gun plumber, and have tweaked a few 2011s in the past but never got a chance to work on any Para's.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been wanting a double stack 1911 of my own for a very long time.  I'm hovering over the buy button for a P14/18 frame at a smoking deal of a price.  Only downside is it's got a Clark cut and it's not a railed frame (which I'd prefer but for $100 I almost DGAF).  Any reason I shouldn't do this?  IIRC the trigger and mag release are the only "proprietary" parts.  This isn't a LDA frame.

I used to build 1911s as a gun plumber, and have tweaked a few 2011s in the past but never got a chance to work on any Para's.
View Quote

Try finding a P14 trigger.

And if you do, please PM me where you found it.

I’m in the middle of a para build I started years ago ... before Sarco bought up and sold out of almost all of the Para parts they had.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a few in .45 and 40.  Never built one, but I own one that was built on a para frame.  Still banging along after 25 years.  

They have a bad reputation, but I’ve had good luck.   Like any high cap 45, mags are the weak spot.  Mine let me know when the mag springs need replacement.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’m in the middle of a para build I started years ago ... before Sarco bought up and sold out of almost all of the Para parts they had.
View Quote

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1552390

Says in stock trigger.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm in the middle of a para build I started years ago ... before Sarco bought up and sold out of almost all of the Para parts they had.
View Quote
@JamesTheScot hooper gun works has double stack triggers.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Also if anyone has sources for P18 mags let me know.  I'm hunting for them now
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm also starting a P18/9 build.  Don't know how much of it will actually be Para parts, but the end result will be similar
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm also starting a P18/9 build.  Don't know how much of it will actually be Para parts, but the end result will be similar
View Quote

the less para parts you can use the better.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Frame, grip screws, and mag catch will be the only "Para" specific things on mine.  I'm building off an an Armscor frame so it's

Link Posted: 5/7/2021 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine is also an Armscor frame.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#10]
These are excellent pistols.  I have the P14 Limited, the P16 Pro Custom, and the P18 Pro Custom.
I switch my P14 between .45 Super and .45 ACP and my P18 between 9 mm and .38 Super and 9x23.
I have not had an issue with either of these pistols.
I have previously had a P14 alloy frame and a P13, I sold both, I wish I had kept the P13.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]
As someone who has built both I will build another Essex before I touch another para, but in regards to both, leave that sh*t where it belongs, in The toilet.

It’s a lot easier to have good results in the end when you start with decent raw materials or n this case in spec parts.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Got some VZ grips in. Looks like I'm gonna be busting out the Dremel to fit them to these frames. P14 grips and Armscor's are not same same.  Oh well, for $35 a set IDGAF.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Got some VZ grips in. Looks like I'm gonna be busting out the Dremel to fit them to these frames. P14 grips and Armscor's are not same same.  Oh well, for $35 a set IDGAF.
View Quote

I found out same as you that they don't quite fit. But I only paid $4.95 from CDNN investments so I really DGAF.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 7:49:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Where did you find the frame? I found this Para single stack frame at Sarco. It was nicely machined with a good finish. Assembled this pistol for $600.
Can you post photos of your build?

" />
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where did you find the frame? I found this Para single stack frame at Sarco. It was nicely machined with a good finish. Assembled this pistol for $600.
Can you post photos of your build?

<a href="<a href="https://i.servimg.com/u/f45/17/78/70/41/dsc02610.jpg" >[url]https://i.servimg.com/u/f45/17/78/70/41/dsc02610.jpg">https://i.servimg.com/u/f45/17/78/70/41/dsc02610.jpg">[url=https://servimg.com/view/17787041/1302]https://i.servimg.com/u/f45/17/78/70/41/dsc02610.jpg
View Quote
When I get to anything photo worthy I will. Found the frames locally.

Not a bad build you got there for $600.  5 years ago I was able to build out some extras frames I had using RIA kits from Sarco for about $300....granted I had a bunch of GI parts on hand so I just needed the top half + spring & pin kit. These I have to order almost everything so they're gonna cost more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top