Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2018 6:09:49 PM EDT
After a hiatus of 1911 shooting I’m back.

Picked up this feller today and have decided to turn it into a no frills GI inspired fighting gun.

What does that mean? Well it means I’m going to shoot plates with it but “plate gun sounds dumb”. Also might get random duty as a truck / woods gun.

To do list:
New recoil spring
Wilson 47D mags
Grips
Ammo

Need suggestion list:
Sights.

Who’s the best when it comes to sending off a slide to get sights put on? Would like a front tritium or gold bead and a black rear. Send it to Novak? Anyone else?

For grips I want to get a set of dark brown wood ones to match the lovely patina this has - suggestions ?

It’s good to be back.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Harrison Design
http://www.harrisoncustom.com/Home.aspx

Retro rear sight
Attachment Attached File

Gold bead front sight
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the Harrison style preferred over a Novak or 10-8 rear?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks familiar.

Glad to see the guy 'saw the light'...
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks familiar.

Glad to see the guy 'saw the light'...
View Quote
for a good price too
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is the Harrison style preferred over a Novak or 10-8 rear?
View Quote
I had a Harrison on my old Combat Elite, and it's an awesome sight. Too bad the gun was tuned to run on the target rear, and my elevation was so far off that I couldn't hit shit. I think my old Harrison is in the parts bin somewhere, but it's pretty beat-up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know if John is taking small work, but that's who I'd recommend regardless of what sight option you decide to go with.

I just returned to 1911s myself.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#8]
There's some nice herrett grips on eBay right now.

Pachymer grips would looks nice too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#9]
A matter of preference. The rear sight also needs no frame cutting. Fits right into the factory cut slot.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A matter of preference. The rear sight also needs no frame cutting. Fits right into the factory cut slot.
View Quote
10-4

What would my front options be?
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:51:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

10-4

What would my front options be?
View Quote
Open, as the existing sight is staked on and a dovetail will need to be cut.  I tend to prefer the STI/Heinie front dovetail for reasons.  First there are a lot of different styles and heights made to cater to competitive shooters.  Second the dovetail isn't as wide or deep as Novak, so you always have the option of recutting later, or fixing a botched STI dovetail by cutting over it with the Novak.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:26:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Go with the Harrison retro U notch. He can stake or dovetail you a front sight in short order.

You could also build a MEUSOC clone!
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Done!
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Done!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done!
You get a set of those herrets? They look nice
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done!
si, the double diamonds.

also - a set of usgi NOS ones from the 70's (plastic), a set of full checkered old random ones, and a recoil spring.

too much weller = buying spree
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
si, the double diamonds.

also - a set of usgi NOS ones from the 70's (plastic), a set of full checkered old random ones, and a recoil spring.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done!
si, the double diamonds.

Lol, I think I bought a shockwave last night
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I have found the 1991 series sights more than adequate actually. Shoot it a while and you might find the current sights suit you just fine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I've never had one of those staked on fronts make it through two cases of hardball.

I would go with a Harrison Retro rear and whatever front you want as long as it's a Novak dovetail.

Hogue Pao Ferro grips look good on those matte blued guns.  Bright figured wood looks really out of place.  I think the stock plastic grips look the most correct.

Those 1991A1 pistols were built by Colt to be an upgraded continuance of the government guns they quit building in the 40s.  They even continued the serial numbers where they left off.

Some of them had plastic triggers that could swell up and drag in the track. A new Series 80 or Harrison black, solid trigger looks good on 'em, but make sure you understand the Series 80 stuff and trigger bows.   They have the original Series 80 levers and I always replaced the upper lever with a Gold Cup 'N' lever as they always work and will cure any instance of the plunger not getting lifted enough and battering the firing pin.

Those ORM '91s are some of my favorite 1911s.  They're not worth building into a full custom, but they can't be beat for a real-man's utilitarian 45.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Slide is going to John next week.

Retro rear / Novak cut - tritium front.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sweet!
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sweet!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet!
Change of plans. Going to Novak instead, they have the .145 big dot front tritium available and I can use the 10-8 rear I have in the parts box.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Change of plans. Going to Novak instead, they have the .145 big dot front tritium available and I can use the 10-8 rear I have in the parts box.
View Quote
Still cool.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Great setup

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#25]
What’s a new gun without it’s own holster. While I’ve got 1911 holsters I’m having our own goodmedicine make a taco IWB kydex for this one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice.  I'm jealous.

Colt does a nice job on the front strap.  You might need to knock down the edges on the tang of the grip safety.  You probably already know that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#27]
The crew at Novak is FAST.

In meusoc shoes

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Exactly what I have on my LW Commander. I highly recommend the sights and Mr. Harrison's work.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Man that looks good!
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Man that looks good!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Man that looks good!
Thanks! Very pleased. I’ve had nicer 1911’s before but the appeal of a simple no frills 1911 makes this one of my favorites.

Not going to do anything else but shoot the piss out of it.

Quoted:
Nice
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Do you plan to fit a bushing for the pistol?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Do you plan to fit a bushing for the pistol?
View Quote
Don’t see the need at the moment. Everything is pretty tight and the accuracy is there if I do my part.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#34]
It has a solid bushing and if it's loose at the back I'd leave it loose at the front.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I love the ORM Colt 1991 pistols. I have two; a government and a compact. Both are very accurate but both had the same issues out of the box with fitting. Plunger tubes were not staked very well, hammer hooks rough and tall, and sear engagement surfaces uneven. These pistols were economy guns in the 90’s made to compete with lower cost options. On the plus side the frames, slides, and barrels are typical Colt awesomeness.

I carry the government off duty. I’m running all Wilson bullet proof parts except the thumb safety is Ed Brown. My preferred magazine for concealed carry is a Wilson 47 tube with the low profile steel base and a Tripp Super 7. I carry two 8 round Tripp Cobra magazines as spares.

I love the look of the spur hammer and GI grip safety however my hands are too meaty and tend to get cut by the grip safety.

Link Posted: 2/9/2018 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Nothing better in the gun world then a 1911 with honest wear.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Finslayer I have a 1991 that I purchased around 06 and it is stock I have wanted new sights fo a while. How much did Novak hit you up for that and what was their turnaround time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Finslayer I have a 1991 that I purchased around 06 and it is stock I have wanted new sights fo a while. How much did Novak hit you up for that and what was their turnaround time.
View Quote
$240 shipped. - $125 for labor $20 for insured shipping the rest on sights.

Door to door 7 days.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Didn't want to shoot in the monsoon that's over Nashville today so out comes the camera!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#40]
You are killing me. I've got the slide for one 1911 with John Harrison getting some work done and another gun being built by Dan Wesson. I've got nothing to fondle. I had to go out and buy a Glock 41 today just to hold me over.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Call me when you are going to shoot it, on a day that doesn't require SCUBA gear.

Holy crap, it's coming down here in Bellevue.

EDIT: Maybe nip the end of the hammer, but other than that, it needs nothing.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Hit a break in the rain this morning and got a quick 100 rounds in.

The new Wolff #16 spring and new sights made for a solid quick trip.

Attachment Attached File

7y

Attachment Attached File

25y

Attachment Attached File

It’s been a while since I’ve shot 1911’s so need to break my Glock habits and practice more!

The racks were fun too

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Nice shooting.

Glocks have there place but I feel pretty good about carrying a 1911 every day.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Great pistol and nice shooting

I really want a 1911 again too. I got out of almost everything when 545 took over my mind but lately I have been branching out again. The GI model is definitely my fav. Yours is perfect
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Great pistol and nice shooting

I really want a 1911 again too. I got out of almost everything when 545 took over my mind but lately I have been branching out again. The GI model is definitely my fav. Yours is perfect
View Quote
Do it! I won't part with this one and don't see the need to run out and get a nicer semi-custom gun. It fits the need for a 1911 in the safe and is fun to shoot.

This is refreshing as after the SCAR projects and my long range build (and shooting matches) I kind of hit a wall as to what I find interesting and kinda got bored with it all. Good thing 95% of the safe is now NFA so I can't go out and sell things . This is also good as its cyclical in nature and I'll hit the range more once the weather gets nicer, hell I've got a world class 1250y range 20 min from the house, there's no reason I shouldn't be there more often (besides having a toddler..).
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#46]
NICE shooting.

When I put the pachmyrs on both the 1911's I had and I really found them to work well.  However, I really don't like how they don't cover the plunger tube.  Why don't they just bump that up a little?  Seems silly.

Great gun though.  Did the grip safety cut you though?  It almost looked like it was smoothed out in some of the pics.  I don't have big meaty hands but the times I shot my Milspec to any degree it would draw blood there.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
NICE shooting.

When I put the pachmyrs on both the 1911's I had and I really found them to work well.  However, I really don't like how they don't cover the plunger tube.  Why don't they just bump that up a little?  Seems silly.

Great gun though.  Did the grip safety cut you though?  It almost looked like it was smoothed out in some of the pics.  I don't have big meaty hands but the times I shot my Milspec to any degree it would draw blood there.
View Quote
ive not messed with the grip safety nor the hammer - not sure if the original owner did.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 6:02:20 AM EDT
[#48]
...Those ORM '91s are some of my favorite 1911s.  They're not worth building into a full custom, but they can't be beat for a real-man's utilitarian 45.
View Quote
I don't know, I don't think my ORM looks too bad.

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 6:28:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Do it! I won't part with this one and don't see the need to run out and get a nicer semi-custom gun. It fits the need for a 1911 in the safe and is fun to shoot.

This is refreshing as after the SCAR projects and my long range build (and shooting matches) I kind of hit a wall as to what I find interesting and kinda got bored with it all. Good thing 95% of the safe is now NFA so I can't go out and sell things . This is also good as its cyclical in nature and I'll hit the range more once the weather gets nicer, hell I've got a world class 1250y range 20 min from the house, there's no reason I shouldn't be there more often (besides having a toddler..).
View Quote
Jealous as hell!

In Houston we don't have anything inside the massive boundary of the city like that, and the private ranges that do aren't taking new members. We basically get about 300 yards on a good day at Impact Zone but the mud is so treacherous to get to 300 that it swallows vehicles whole (including mine, twice, haha)

Any sources for the 1911 you have Fin?

I think I may pick one up for me and maybe one as a gift for my son who loves the 1911
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 6:56:18 AM EDT
[#50]
@tx-zen I’d say keep an eye out on gunbroker or any of the local boards for one. It’s just a basic Colt 1991 ORM (old roll mark). Now you can get a new production no frills colt from just about anywhere.

If this were 3 years ago I’d recommend a Springfield GI or Milspec but due to their politics I’m not going to give them business.

@samuse - any tips on where a fellow Texan can find an older 1991orm?

As to the range - it’s a great private one and membership is capped until the owner decides that it’s time for more money.

Some of the steel at 500y
Attachment Attached File

1,000y
Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top