Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2022 10:32:08 PM EDT
I am wanting too much a 9mm snubbie and was thinking about a model 60 and then send the cylinder for a 9mm conversion. Is that crazy? Was thinking using TKCustoms for the work. Are there other reasonable options? I want it to be in SS and nice looking. I do like model 60s a lot.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Pinnacle does nice work also. I would buy a second cylinder and have it re-chambered and timed so you can still shoot 38 or 357 whatever the original is chambered for.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pinnacle does nice work also. I would buy a second cylinder and have it re-chambered and timed so you can still shoot 38 or 357 whatever the original is chambered for.
View Quote

And $100 cheaper than TKCustoms, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#3]
My buddy has a taurus model 692, 3 in bbl, ported, SS.  9mm and 357 cylinders.  Pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 11:56:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I run cheap steel in my SP 101, but had to get Hogues to make it shootable for range time.  Lots of fun to shoot it from the pocket.

I'd like to get a brace of Smiths, one 49, one Centennial, w/ short Titanium cylinders & 3" bbls.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Rock Island Armory Project Alfa in 9mm.  Made in Czech Republic.  Uses moon clips.  I have one, not a bad piece.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Went that route I sent my smith and Wesson J frame to TK customs for the conversion. It’s very expensive the moon clips are very hard to load and unload unless you buy their over priced tool which is $69 if I remember correctly and I wasn’t really happy with it. They did a nice job doing the conversion but for the cost of it it was ridiculous even the shipping was ridiculous. I sold it which by the way nobody wanted to buy took a real bath on it. I bought a Ruger LCR in 9 mm it’s built like a tank the moon clips are cheap and easy to load and unload and you don’t have to use the moon clips the empties fall right out of the cylinder never happier.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I think a Ruger LCR would be the easy button.

I kinda want my 2" m10 cut for 9mm moon clips too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Agree that the LCR is the easy button. I’m not worried about a working gun as much as a range toy so I am looking forward to see how Uberti’s new Single Action Army clones in 9mm turn out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Went that route I sent my smith and Wesson J frame to TK customs for the conversion. It’s very expensive the moon clips are very hard to load and unload unless you buy their over priced tool which is $69 if I remember correctly and I wasn’t really happy with it. They did a nice job doing the conversion but for the cost of it it was ridiculous even the shipping was ridiculous. I sold it which by the way nobody wanted to buy took a real bath on it. I bought a Ruger LCR in 9 mm it’s built like a tank the moon clips are cheap and easy to load and unload and you don’t have to use the moon clips the empties fall right out of the cylinder never happier.
View Quote

Thanks. That's very good first hand feedback.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had several 9mm revolvers.  Currently still have an old model blackhawk with a 9m cylinder, and have owned several other blackhawks over the years as well as S&W 940s in 2" and 3", as well as an SP101 Ruger or two.  One thing you need to remember is that the 9mm round it tapered.  Very slightly, but still tapered.  This allows the casing to set back very slightly in higher pressure loads, sometimes enough to start to drag the breechface and make cylinder rotation a drag (pardon the pun).  The ACP revolvers i've had over the years do not seem to have this type of issue even when i fired very hot 460 Rolland level rounds out of blackhawks.  Elmer Keith wrote several times over the years about tapered cartridges causing problems in his early experiments as he was hot-rodding revolvers in what became the 357 and 44 magnums.  The 22 Jet round that S&W made was probably the worst.  It would only work when the chambers were clean and dry, with just a little bit of grime or oil in the chambers casing setback would lock the gun up, and that is why it didnt make it.  Think it was model 53 or something like that, basically a 38/357 necked down to 22.  the other problem when converting you will be sending .355 bullets down a .357 bore.  I've always liked the small 9mm revolvers i had, but would prefer a standard action instead of DAO like the 940 action is.  I agree with Backbencher though, a 649 type revolver in 3" and 9mm would be a great little pocket gun, even in 2 1/2" would be a great carry piece for pocket carry.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been contemplating converting a 357 3" LCRx to 9mm

if I happen upon a 9mm cylinder I think I'll go for it
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Here’s a 3” 9mm S&W K frame model 547 - on the left.

No moon clips, a sped loader or quick strips for reloads. It shoots great. Recoil is relatively mild. Extraction is excellent since the full length extractor rod pushes the short (compared to 38 or 357) 9mm cases clear of the cylinder.

Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:53:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@robertmegar

When you talk to Mark at Pinnacle make sure to let him know you want your cylinder machined to fit the original stamped 940 moon clips.  They are a little bit larger OD than some fo the rest.  That will let you use any 9mm J frame moon clip you want.

If you want the stamped 940s those come from Ranch Products for like a buck a piece.

Also.  Far as tools for mooning and demooning those 9mm J frames.  The easiest thing is get a .3125 stainless round bar from Ace, its in the K&S metals display in the nuts and bolts area.

Cut off a 4" section deburr the ends and you are good to go.  Or you can order a 4" .3125 hardened steel or stainless dowel from McMaster Carr if you dont want to mess with cutting the round bar at home.

The principle for using it is simple.  All you really need is an anvil in the center to support the moon clip while you push the round into the clip. And something to get inside the spent brass to give you a "grip" to remove the spent brass.

Lay the dowel in your hand about last knuckle before palm, slide moon clip on end let it land between first and second finger, roll clip with thumb to advance to each opening, push round into clip. You kinda supoort the rod with your palm which makes the moon clip "float" with the center web of it being supoorted so you can push against it.

To take em off its just as easy.  Make circle with thumb and fore finger, moon clip goes in there, case mouth toward ground, rod inside, rod hand thumb beside case base you are taking off, little pull and twist, pops right off.

Takes a little practice but its slick and you dont have to carry a buch of crap

I used to make a tool for moon clips, till one of the materials became unobtanium, which is why I know all this, nowadays when someone calls for the tool I used to make I just tell them the above to help folks out
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#14]
The rounds just pop in & out of the Ruger 101 clips, no tool needed.  I only carry the one, so I can eject the 1st 5 rounds all at once, the next five will be loaded from a Glock mag, and I accept I'll be unable to eject those second 5 properly in a timely manner.  My 101 is my opening gambit and a BUG.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The rounds just pop in & out of the Ruger 101 clips, no tool needed.  I only carry the one, so I can eject the 1st 5 rounds all at once, the next five will be loaded from a Glock mag, and I accept I'll be unable to eject those second 5 properly in a timely manner.  My 101 is my opening gambit and a BUG.
View Quote

I’ve heard that method from quite a few folks. Your 101 sounds like it was one of the factory chambered ones that was properly chambered for 9mm.

(Side note for general 9mm moon clip info. the 929 smith is not chambered for 9x19 it’s chambered for 9x21 which makes no moon clip not even an option in those. The old factory 940 j snub is probably properly chambered for 9x19 but I’ve never verified that)

The rechambered to 9mm smiths I’ve seen have to have moon clips to run since the cyl is just a partial ream in the chamber so the 9mm case neck doesn’t have a proper chamber shoulder to index against. The case indexes at the rebate around the base and moonclip face.

Not a big deal though, many folks do kinda the same as you do. First cyl 9mm in clip to speed up ejection and get full ejection from the short rod on snubbys. But they’ll carry a speed strip with 38 or 357 for the reloads

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I’ve heard that method from quite a few folks. Your 101 sounds like it was one of the factory chambered ones that was properly chambered for 9mm.

(Side note for general 9mm moon clip info. the 929 smith is not chambered for 9x19 it’s chambered for 9x21 which makes no moon clip not even an option in those. The old factory 940 j snub is probably properly chambered for 9x19 but I’ve never verified that)

The rechambered to 9mm smiths I’ve seen have to have moon clips to run since the cyl is just a partial ream in the chamber so the 9mm case neck doesn’t have a proper chamber shoulder to index against. The case indexes at the rebate around the base and moonclip face.

Not a big deal though, many folks do kinda the same as you do. First cyl 9mm in clip to speed up ejection and get full ejection from the short rod on snubbys. But they’ll carry a speed strip with 38 or 357 for the reloads
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  The rounds just pop in & out of the Ruger 101 clips, no tool needed.  I only carry the one, so I can eject the 1st 5 rounds all at once, the next five will be loaded from a Glock mag, and I accept I'll be unable to eject those second 5 properly in a timely manner.  My 101 is my opening gambit and a BUG.

The 101 is a companion piece to the 26, hence 9x19mm.  I'd like a brace of 9x19mm J frames w/ short titanium cylinders for dual pocket carry in our 3 months of winter, but $2k+ for a pair of guns I'd carry 3 months a year is pretty impractical.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I was thinking of doing the conversion as well. Then I came across a Ruger LCRX, the snubby, at a good price. The 9mm Ruger is 2-3 ounces heavier than a typical J frame Airweight since it’s made on the 357 frame. I was very surprised how snappy this little bugger was shooting standard 115 grain loads. I think that’s why I was able to get it at a good price. I’ve read the Smith conversions are very sporty with recoil. After shooting the Ruger I really lost my interest in the Smith conversion.  Granted it would be cool, but I get tired of spending money on cool with little, to me, return.
The good about the Ruger is the trigger is better from the factory, the sights are better, you can shoot without moon clips.
The bad is the lack of options for aftermarket grips to make it better personally for a carry gun, the increased weight.  
Now, a J frame will still have crappy sights, needs at least a spring swap for a better trigger, but be lighter and have more options for grips to mitigate the recoil or slim it down for pocket carry.

I liken it to folks getting the PD ultralight 357 version of the J frames then having to run 38 special in them because they can’t make a decent follow up shot. It may be worth it to some but only you can decide.
That’s a lotta words to say I recommend you consider what you really want and want to do to alter a gun when for just a little more you can get a factory version.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Occasionally Midway-USA has factory made 9mm replacement cylinder assemblies for J frame S&W line.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My buddy has a taurus model 692, 3 in bbl, ported, SS.  9mm and 357 cylinders.  Pretty sweet.
View Quote
This would be my suggestion, as then you have a useful gun when you decide not to shoot 9mm through a revolver. Even though I bought a convertible blackhawk to do just that

Alternately, Charter Arms makes a 9mm moon-clip-less design.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#20]
If you're not married to M60 type, there's always the Model 929
Easy to resale if you don't love it.

M986 if the 929 is too big.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#21]
FN Barracuda for the win!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No moon clips, a sped loader or quick strips for reloads. It shoots great. Recoil is relatively mild. Extraction is excellent since the full length extractor rod pushes the short (compared to 38 or 357) 9mm cases clear of the cylinder.

View Quote

I would love one of those 547's.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Back in the day S&W supposedly designed the 547 for a Law Enforcement Agency in Europe.  Rumors were for the French Police.   I always thought these S&W 547 would be sold off as surplus.   I wanted a 547 when they were released but my FFL never found one for sale from his suppliers.   I have seen a couple over the years at gun shows but the price was so high I never bought one.   Same situation for the J Frame 940 and now the prices are through the roof.

Honestly I was better served with a defensive pistol by my 3913 NL and currently my Glock 43.   I like revolvers and I load more 9 mm than 38 Special and if Ruger released a new SP101 or Speed Six in 9 mm I’d be tempted.   Same for S&W if they released a new K frame in 9 mm I’d be interested but most likely it would be $800-$1000 and I’d be to cheap to buy one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Back in the day S&W supposedly designed the 547 for a Law Enforcement Agency in Europe.  Rumors were for the French Police.   I always thought these S&W 547 would be sold off as surplus.   I wanted a 547 when they were released but my FFL never found one for sale from his suppliers.   I have seen a couple over the years at gun shows but the price was so high I never bought one.   Same situation for the J Frame 940 and now the prices are through the roof.

Honestly I was better served with a defensive pistol by my 3913 NL and currently my Glock 43.   I like revolvers and I load more 9 mm than 38 Special and if Ruger released a new SP101 or Speed Six in 9 mm I’d be tempted.   Same for S&W if they released a new K frame in 9 mm I’d be interested but most likely it would be $800-$1000 and I’d be to cheap to buy one.
View Quote

I had heard the 547 was for an Israeli police contract, and after the Israelis got the 1st batch, they cancelled the contract & copied it, leaving S&W w/ a bunch of 547s.

Ruger's been making the 101 in 9x19mm, I have one in my go bag right now:

https://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5783.html
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/428630/9AB46DA7-0D43-43C1-9163-10B5B37E15F6-2442135.jpg
View Quote

I have always wanted a 547.  Hard to find and expensive.  Hopefully will get one someday
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have always wanted a 547.  Hard to find and expensive.  Hopefully will get one someday
View Quote

A word of caution on the 547. Smith & Wesson had an open house at one of the gun shops I visit and they brought one of them with them as a demo and sold it to me.  Right place right time:) I think I paid $700 for it this was a few years back. But after doing more research on the gun cylinder part that ejects the empty shells is very fragile and apparently breaks very easy and there is no more parts available for that model gun. I didn’t even shoot it I flipped it on Gunbroker for $2200 bought  a Ruger LCR 9 mm for $500 and never looked back great little gun.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ve seen where Ruger has made 9 mm revolvers in Speed Six, SP101 and LCR.   I’ve actually never seen any of them in person.   I just can’t see spending $700-$1000 for a 9 mm revolver.   I have a S&W model 15 4” and a model 36 3” if I want to shoot revolvers.   The only time I remember carrying either was when I was in Wyoming shooting prairie dogs.  I carried the model 15 in a belt holster with three shot shells and three 158 grain LHP SW plus a couple speed loaders on my belt.

I carried a Department issued revolver in the 70’s & 80’s but always preferred semi autos.  I enjoy shooting revolvers and a 9 mm intrigues me but I never came across one at the right time or price.   I’ve even looked at the Charter Arms and Taurus but I decided to stick with my 38 Specials.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:  I’ve seen where Ruger has made 9 mm revolvers in Speed Six, SP101 and LCR.   I’ve actually never seen any of them in person.   I just can’t see spending $700-$1000 for a 9 mm revolver.   I have a S&W model 15 4” and a model 36 3” if I want to shoot revolvers.   The only time I remember carrying either was when I was in Wyoming shooting prairie dogs.  I carried the model 15 in a belt holster with three shot shells and three 158 grain LHP SW plus a couple speed loaders on my belt.

I carried a Department issued revolver in the 70’s & 80’s but always preferred semi autos.  I enjoy shooting revolvers and a 9 mm intrigues me but I never came across one at the right time or price.   I’ve even looked at the Charter Arms and Taurus but I decided to stick with my 38 Specials.
View Quote

Might Czech out the new RIAs coming in from Czechia, they look pretty decent.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I need to tell my buddy who has a LGS (and a large collection), buy one of those RIA 9 mm revolvers so I can shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 1:18:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:  I need to tell my buddy who has a LGS (and a large collection), buy one of those RIA 9 mm revolvers so I can shoot it.
View Quote

I plan to get one down the road & sell em if they're worthwhile, cheaper than the Ruger I carry.  I need to try the Charter Arms one as well.  Why don't you buy it, sell it on consignment if you don't like it?
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Maybe in a few months, much to busy right now helping with Grandsons until at least school starts in the fall.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I have 2 9MM revolvers. Both are bigger and heavier than the S&W model 60.I like both, recoil is manageable accuracy is good.
ALFA 9MM uses moon clips. The clips are thin and I have not loaded/unload enough times to see how durable the moon clips are.

Korth Mongoose 357 with 9MM cylinder. The Korth uses a extractor mounted in each cylinder charge hole.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Isn't the Alfa what RIA is importing now?
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A word of caution on the 547. Smith & Wesson had an open house at one of the gun shops I visit and they brought one of them with them as a demo and sold it to me.  Right place right time:) I think I paid $700 for it this was a few years back. But after doing more research on the gun cylinder part that ejects the empty shells is very fragile and apparently breaks very easy and there is no more parts available for that model gun. I didn’t even shoot it I flipped it on Gunbroker for $2200 bought  a Ruger LCR 9 mm for $500 and never looked back great little gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First hand experience, it isn’t fragile. But does like to be kept reasonably clean.

Furthermore, anything made by man can be replaced if ever required.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top