Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 1/13/2021 1:00:42 AM EDT
Today I stumbled upon a bunch of colt revolvers, mainly Detective Specials, in a chain-type store that sells used guns.

I didn’t handle any of them, but I could they were all well used (they looked like some sort of department/agency trade-ins?).Some had ejector shrouds and some did not.

They were all priced in the $400-500 range.  I have an old python and I know their prices are astronomical, but I know very little about the Detective Specials.  Are these priced accordingly or should I look into them further?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 2:02:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Today I stumbled upon a bunch of colt revolvers, mainly Detective Specials, in a chain-type store that sells used guns.

I didn’t handle any of them, but I could they were all well used (they looked like some sort of department/agency trade-ins?).Some had ejector shrouds and some did not.

They were all priced in the $400-500 range.  I have an d python and I know their prices are astronomical, but I know very little about the Detective Specials.  Are these priced accordingly or should I look into them further?

View Quote

They're probably worth $500-600 if they're decent trade-ins.

The non-shrouded ones are 1st/2nd generation and are from the late 60s/early 70s at the latest.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:21:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Condition is everything. But Detective Specials, Agents and Police Positives aren't as nice or as collectible as the Snake Guns.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 3:36:47 AM EDT
[#3]
On the up side the cylinder turns the correct direction. The cylinder stop cut does not lay directly over the chamber which is a stronger design than the J frame S&W and they hold 6 rounds.  I haven't had one since the 80s but they are great pistols I would pick the newer one with the shroud over the ejector just make sure it cycles the timeing correctly which means the cylinder should lock in place with the cylinder stop pin at the bottom before the hammer drops.    Good find.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Depending on condition could be a good deal.  Possibly great deal.  I doubt they last long.  Dec Specials almost never turn up on the trade in market.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depending on condition could be a good deal.  Possibly great deal.  I doubt they last long.  Dec Specials almost never turn up on the trade in market.
View Quote

This.

They seem fairly priced IMO.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They were all priced in the $400-500 range.  I have an d python and I know their prices are astronomical, but I know very little about the Detective Specials.  Are these priced accordingly or should I look into them further?
View Quote
I know some came back as some type of licensed import recently from foreign law enforcement.  They were a lightweight version of the Detective special that had some other name, probably the Agent.  Some were in pretty good shape, and there were other brands and models too.   Price was low and I should have bought one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They're probably worth $500-600 if they're decent trade-ins.

The non-shrouded ones are 1st/2nd generation and are from the late 60s/early 70s at the latest.
View Quote

The 1st gens were introduced in the 20s. I have a 2nd gen from 1959 and I paid about 5-something for it around 6-7 years ago. Maybe even longer ago. If they look decent and lock up tight, hell, I'd buy all they had for that price!
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Be very curious to see which agency hung on to Dec Specials this long.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The 1st gens were introduced in the 20s. I have a 2nd gen from 1959 and I paid about 5-something for it around 6-7 years ago. Maybe even longer ago. If they look decent and lock up tight, hell, I'd buy all they had for that price!
View Quote

I've got two.  A 1944 lettered to the OSS and a 1966.  The 1944 I bought five or six years ago, just as a used gun.  I suspected at the time it was at least mil issue and the letter confirmed.  The 1966 is almost new, bought it from a friend needing money.  I think I paid 550 or so for it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Be very curious to see which agency hung on to Dec Specials this long.
View Quote

I would be interested to know that, too.  Given the number of them and the shape they were in, they almost have to be department trade-ins.

They had a variety of “odd” revolvers.  Two old SW 29s, both 4”, one nickel plated, that were very used and very neglected looking.  I’m talking bottom of the evidence locker or under the seat of a pickup for 20 years looking.   A J-frame with a 3” barrel and adjustable sights, a snub nose adj sight SW19, a nickel colt Police Positive, etc.  All in similar condition.  

Thanks for the responses everyone.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've got two.  A 1944 lettered to the OSS and a 1966.  The 1944 I bought five or six years ago, just as a used gun.  I suspected at the time it was at least mil issue and the letter confirmed.  The 1966 is almost new, bought it from a friend needing money.  I think I paid 550 or so for it.
View Quote

That's really cool about the OSS one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:48:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I was able to find them listed online, so apparently they DO have a bunch of them.  

I’m pretty confident that some of the Detective Specials I saw where in the $449-489 range, so in store price might be a little different.

Detective Specials

Detective Specials (Nickel)

Police Positives

Army Specials

Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's really cool about the OSS one.
View Quote

It was a fluke.  I was pretty sure is was USGI when I bought it but it took a few years, a very good book, and a letter to Colt to confirm it.  The OSS guns have a unique stamp, not a stamp really but simply a pin punch  on the upper left frame.  For some reason OSS used a lot of revolvers.

It was a gun show find.  I go to a lot of shows, the circuit is still very good in Iowa, and I live to find stuff like this.  Only happens about once a year, but often enough to make it worth my while.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was able to find them listed online, so apparently they DO have a bunch of them.  

I’m pretty confident that some of the Detective Specials I saw where in the $449-489 range, so in store price might be a little different.

Detective Specials

Detective Specials (Nickel)

Police Positives

Army Specials

View Quote

Those are good and used.

Still a fair price if the timing is good.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It was a fluke.  I was pretty sure is was USGI when I bought it but it took a few years, a very good book, and a letter to Colt to confirm it.  The OSS guns have a unique stamp, not a stamp really but simply a pin punch  on the upper left frame.  For some reason OSS used a lot of revolvers.

It was a gun show find.  I go to a lot of shows, the circuit is still very good in Iowa, and I live to find stuff like this.  Only happens about once a year, but often enough to make it worth my while.
View Quote

Wow, that is going to rekindle my interest in gunshows now. I mostly hit pawn shops because i like looking for older guns and stuff and been pretty lucky finding older 3rd gen S&W autos and older revolvers. Colt's aren't really around here. It's pretty rare to find one in good condition and price. My little DS looks about 95% so I jumped on it. Did you see the Army Specials in the link above? i don't think I've ever seen a Colt with a bbl/sight shroud like that. Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wow, that is going to rekindle my interest in gunshows now. I mostly hit pawn shops because i like looking for older guns and stuff and been pretty lucky finding older 3rd gen S&W autos and older revolvers. Colt's aren't really around here. It's pretty rare to find one in good condition and price. My little DS looks about 95% so I jumped on it. Did you see the Army Specials in the link above? i don't think I've ever seen a Colt with a bbl/sight shroud like that. Interesting.
View Quote

The Army Special is definitely odd.  Those never came in two inch, the grips should be hard rubber and not wood (tho later Official Police grips fit), and the barrel shroud/sight thing is a new one on me.

The Police Positive has been buffed and reblued at some point in it's (likely very) hard life.  

Strange bunch.  Looks like they spent time in the tropics or at least the southern US.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:11:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
On the up side the cylinder turns the correct direction. The cylinder stop cut does not lay directly over the chamber which is a stronger design than the J frame S&W and they hold 6 rounds.  I haven't had one since the 80s but they are great pistols I would pick the newer one with the shroud over the ejector just make sure it cycles the timeing correctly which means the cylinder should lock in place with the cylinder stop pin at the bottom before the hammer drops.    Good find.
View Quote

No 5 shot J frame has a cylinder stop notch over a charge hole, they're lined up with the flute. And all the .38s and .357s are 5 shot.

All things equal, a S&W J frame .38 is stronger than a Colt DS. More steel in the cylinder for sure. I like DSes, that extra round for just a tiny bit more size is great, but let's not spread incorrect info.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top