Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2020 1:26:34 AM EDT
I live in Wyoming. Currently, caliber regs for most big game (excepting Bison and Grizzly) are:
Any center-fire firearm of at least .24 caliber and firing a cartridge of at least
two (2) inches in overall length and using an expanding point bullet, or any other cartridge of at
least .35 caliber and at least one and one-half inches (1.5) in overall length and using an expanding
point bullet
View Quote

I think it's bizarre that my snubnose 357 magnum airlite is legal for hunting say Elk and my HK45 is not (despite the 45 having more energy thanks to a longer barrel), but the law is what it is.
I have a 4" S&W 629 in .44 Magnum that meets the criteria without a problem, and also meets handgun hunting regs for every contiguous state - but I'm curious what semi-auto options exist.
Options I know of:
Desert Eagle in 357/44 magnum or 50 AE
Wildey in .45 WinMag/475 Wildey Magnum
LAR Grizzly/Automags which are out of production but available on the used market
Anything else? Not looking for AR pistol type setup in 308 or similar, looking for a rather standard-ish handgun that would meet that criteria. 45 Win Mag is particularly interesting as I already reload for 45 ACP, and have a few hundred bullets available that would fit it for practice purposes. If there's some new guns chambered in that, I would love to know.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:14:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The 10mm? and most 45 1911 can be converted to .460

https://clarkcustomguns.com/product/460-rowland-conversion-kit-for-1911/

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a 357 magnum 1911 type gun, the coonan.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:28:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a DE 44 Mag once.  Beautiful shooting handgun.  Had to invest in a set of skis to mount to it and a tow harness to drag it around though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Pretty sure the 10mm isn't long enough.  Only pistol cartridges that arelonger than 1.5 are the wheel gun cartridges.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen 460 is under the 1.5" OAL - I'm seeing 1.25".

I had a DE 44 Mag once.  Beautiful shooting handgun.  Had to invest in a set of skis to mount to it and a tow harness to drag it around though.
View Quote

Nice, I don't hear all that many reviews of the DE. The weight does concern me, as most any of the guns I mentioned are the weight of my 629 and HK45C combined. They seem to be well in the category of horse pistols that you'd carry in a saddlebag.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen 460 is under the 1.5" OAL - I'm seeing 1.25".

Nice, I don't hear all that many reviews of the DE. The weight does concern me, as most any of the guns I mentioned are the weight of my 629 and HK45C combined. They seem to be well in the category of horse pistols that you'd carry in a saddlebag.
View Quote

On it's own mule!
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:52:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I find a chest rig seems to distribute weight well, while keeping the pistol accessible, whether standing or sitting. That's true for most any handgun.

While I currently own three Desert Eagles, I don’t think one would be my first choice for hunting except when hunting from a stand. No matter how you carry it, it’s going to be slow to deploy. And I really wouldn’t choose one for dangerous game territory where I might have to deploy it quickly. Consider that you might need one hand free to ward off attack while drawing.

If you carry chamber-empty, you need two hands to rack the slide. If you carry hammer down or cocked & locked, you need double-jointed gorilla thumbs to make the gun ready to fire.

Having said that, you can pack it in with a holster and then set up over a game trail. But if you expect to draw and fire quickly, there are better options.
View Quote

That's what's holding me back. While it's not super likely I'd need to shoot a bear or moose in self defense, it can and does happen to some folks, so it doesn't hurt to have the capability. The Desert Eagle seems to depend on proper form and grip to function properly, while the 44 mag revolver I have doesn't care. Still, might be a fun gun to get if another Trump check comes around.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#9]
The Auto Mag and the Automag are two COMPLETELY different guns.

Tony

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#10]
So you can hunt elk with a 125gr. Hollow point .357mag but not a 200gr. Hardcast 10mm???

Makes sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top