Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2021 8:59:26 PM EDT
I have an old Don Hume No 36 holster for a Glock. My problem is that the gun fits so damn tight that you can barely pry the damn thing back out! How do I get it  loosened up? I thought about soaking it in warm water oiling up the Glock and let it dry with the gun in it.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Put your gun in a ziplock bag, then put into the holster for a while. You might need a gallon bag depending on the size of the gun. Can also use trash bags or layers of plastic wrap
Basically you are adding a very small amount of OD to the gun to stretch the leather. Start small though, leather doesn't like to shrink from my experience

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put your gun in a ziplock bag, then put into the holster for a while. You might need a gallon bag depending on the size of the gun. Can also use trash bags or layers of plastic wrap
Basically you are adding a very small amount of OD to the gun to stretch the leather. Start small though, leather doesn't like to shrink from my experience

View Quote

I have used wax paper on a couple which worked well.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
In a bag in the holster right now. Read up on this and it said 2 days, so we will see. The inside is also kinda grainy leather feeling too, might sand it a bit too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Soak the holster in warm water, wrap the gun in a plastic bag and insert. Let dry with gun inside.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't sand it. It will wear with time. If anything use some leather conditioner to soften it up
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Every new holster I've bought has included instructions to wrap the pistol in wax paper or a plastic bag and letting it sit from 15 minutes to overnight depending on how much stretch is needed.

They have all advised against wetting the holster or applying any kind of leather conditioner.  Almost every quality leather holster maker has the fitting and leather care instructions listed on their website.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
What is funny is that this holster is like 10 years old and it used to not be tight. Have no idea how it shrunk?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you have any ball glove conditioning oil? Treat the inside with it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do you have any ball glove conditioning oil? Treat the inside with it.
View Quote

I'm going to disagree with this suggestion, baseball glove conditioners are designed to make and keep leather soft and supple, which isn't what you necessarily want with a holster.  Holsters are generally formed to the shape of the gun, things like Glovolium or other lanolin-based products will oversoften it and cause it to lose it's shaping - there needs to be some rigidity to the holster.  If you carry and wear the holster long enough, it will get to this state and it's time to replace the holster.  No need to accelerate that process.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm going to disagree with this suggestion, baseball glove conditioners are designed to make and keep leather soft and supple, which isn't what you necessarily want with a holster.  Holsters are generally formed to the shape of the gun, things like Glovolium or other lanolin-based products will oversoften it and cause it to lose it's shaping - there needs to be some rigidity to the holster.  If you carry and wear the holster long enough, it will get to this state and it's time to replace the holster.  No need to accelerate that process.
View Quote

Good post, and spot on.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Got this reply from Don Hume, basically what other said.
Here is our suggestions to Breaking in the Holster

Place the unloaded firearm in a plastic freezer bag, or cover it in 2-3 layers of plastic kitchen wrap. Do not cover the grip.
Insert the bagged/wrapped firearm slowly into the holster, gently twisting it side-to-side to minimize tearing of the bag/wrap.
Once the firearm is completely seated in the holster, twist it about 1/16" in both directions 6-12 times.
Allow the bagged/wrapped firearm to sit in the holster for about 15 minutes.
Remove the firearm from the holster and remove the bag/wrap from the firearm.
Insert the unloaded firearm into the holster, which should now be snug but not loose. If it is still too tight, repeat the above steps until the holster is broken in.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top