Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2017 8:21:45 PM EDT
OK, first off not looking to sell it here as I am a FFL. But I have a guy that I ordered a brand new S&W M 17 Classic for 2 weeks ago. Four days after he gets it calls me and wants to trade it in on another gun that I have to order and pay for. I looked at closed auctions on GB with out much success. The only one I saw closed had 0 bids. I really don't want this gun, so I guess I will have to stick him good fearing that I may not even get $600 for the damn thing. I bet if it didn't have that stupid lock it would sell better.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Why don't you just tell him that you think it will be too hard to sell, and suggest he sell it privately or on consignment?    

Honestly, there are lots of user 22 masterpieces out there FAR lower than $600 without the stupid lock, and with vastly superior workmanship.....   (I'm sure you know this)

If it were my decision I would simply tell him that I could not insult him with a trade offer and would need funds up front for the new gun.   
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I might have to, I took in a Ruger Single 6 convertible that I still have to unload. Once again, gun was only a few weeks old. I got it cheap, but nothing I want to keep. I need to get my camera out and start listing on GB.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I will never buy one with "the Hole", but there are plenty people out there who have no problem with it. I expect it will sell on GB without much issue.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I will never buy one with "the Hole", but there are plenty people out there who have no problem with it. I expect it will sell on GB without much issue.
View Quote
From what I have seen, it might sell. But it will be for about half of what it wholesales for.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 7:03:51 AM EDT
[#5]
while it looks terrible, i wont not buy one just because of it. I have a 629-6 on its way to me currently.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#6]
As you probably know l would consider the 17 classic with lock to be one of S&W's stupidest marketing decisions ever. While not as common in the past it is very easy to find the older traditional lock work smith 17's in great shape for the same or less ( in some cases significantly less) than the new classic. Smith further handicapped the gun by keeping it a six shot. I hate stainless but like the concept of the gen shot revolver, if smith made the ten shot in blue I would accept the lock and MIM. I agree you probably can't offer much for it. Most anyone who wants a blued 6 shot 22 revolver is going to look for the older no lock models
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was the same exact way. However, I really wanted a model 25 with a 3" or 4" barrel... I searched for the better part of (2) years locally and on another local trader site. They were either close to 2K with a barrel too long for my needs or non existent. So I took a chance on a 625. I bought a frame plug and an oversized Power Customs cylinder stop. It's now my favorite revolver even more than my minty 70's "J" frames. Would I rather have one without the lock, hell yeah. But I've taken that bastardization out forever and the frame plug matches nicely and looks good. And I have a woods revolver that can shoot .45acp, .45Auto-Rim, and .45Super. I'm quite impressed with the accuracy... and the fit and finish is way better than I expected from all the stuff I read online about new Smiths. I'm glad I took a chance on a new Smith.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Fact is, the ONLY record of the lock being an issue was on a 44mag

The recoil from ultra-calibers can make it go screwy

I've had 0 problems on my 38 special airweight
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I love Smith Revolvers.  I have a 642 with a hole.  None of the others do.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:40:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Not starting a new thread yet. Only Hijacking for the moment.

I'm interested in a new Classic M27

Owned a 80's M29.....& Colt Python.... youth made me sale both

My question is, currentl Smiths worth it (new production) ?

Again,357 for range & plinking?

For 44mag I'm going back to Ruger SBH

Thoughts
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#11]
33%
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I refuse to buy one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#13]
If it is configured the way I want it the lock does not bother me one bit.  I bought a S&W 627 PC when USPSA Revolver division rules changed and despite the lock I have been embarrassing the bottom feeders with it fairly regularly.  Came in 12 of 54 at today's match.  I certainly wish S&W would stop with the Internal Lock but it is not a show stopper for me.  A new S&W revolver is equal to or better than any other new double action on the market.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:38:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Cheapest I found them new on Gundeals was $728. MSRP is $989.

So maybe figure a max of half of street price average at about $800 since you're a dealer and have to sell it as used even if it's NIB. So probably $350-400 max depending on your feelings about him as a customer. I assume you'd price it at $550-600 and hope to get it sold but probably have to settle for less because
you are into prelock K22 territory at that price point.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I refuse to buy one.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#16]
10-15% less than a new one assuming its like new condition.  I finally gave up on avoiding the lock guns.  Some of the new Performance Center guns are pretty nice, often better built than the pre lock PC guns.  However, I can't say that is always the case on the non PC guns.

The lock will be with us forever I fear...
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I hit him at $275 difference. Bottom line is I know unless I sell it cheap I will be stuck with that turd for a long time. I have a old M17 already, so really didn't want another. Have not heard back from him since I posted, so I may have pissed him off with the low price. But even if he shops it around I don't think anyone else will give him much more. It's not like they are hard to get.
Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:53:28 PM EDT
[#18]
617s are tough to buy used in a private sale for much under $600 so I think you could sell it for $600.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I could care less whether it has a lock or not. I have one S&W pistol with a lock. It is the 386PD Scandium/Titanium revolver. The lock key is in the original box and has never been taken out or ever used. So what? I also have a S&W model 657 stainless steel .41 magnum with 4" barrel. It doesn't have the lock because it was made before the locks. I prefer the pre-lock S&W pistols like the model 657 because they don't make this model in 4" barrel length anymore and nothing to do with the lock or lack thereof. It's a moot point. If S&W starting making their model 657 with a 4" barrel, I'd buy one, regardless of whether or not it had the lock because the lock is only cosmetic to me. If Colt started making a brand new Colt Python with 4" barrel, Royal Blue or mirror polished stainless finish, with that special factory tuned action, I'd find the money and immediately buy one, regardless of whether or not they put a lock on it.

Whining about a lock is like buying a Ferrari 308 GTSi and complaining that you don't like the windshield washers. Don't buy it, buy something else if that minute detail is so offensive.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:17:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I own only one, a 329 Scandium framed gun, and it was a revolver I took in on a trade deal otherwise I would never bother.

I own literally dozens of Smiths. I do not even bother to look at a Smith with a lock on it. There are far too many nice older guns that I can buy instead.

The majority of the guys I know (who are in the right age and financial status to buy a lot of guns) feel the same way. Nobody bothers with the lock versions.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I dont buy them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:11:36 AM EDT
[#22]
No locks for me either. Don't want anything to do with them. A stupid and ugly solution to a non problem.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 6:35:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't buy them. I have older Smiths and a 442 Pro (sans lock). I would like to buy a new 4.25" 66 and 69, but I'm not taking them too seriously because of the locks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:41:15 AM EDT
[#24]
i buy them and will continue to buy them. i tend to not be as anal about it crying on everyones post that has one. Bunch of debbie downers all over a hole. If something bothers you so much about a little hole seek counceling.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#25]
100% 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fact is, the ONLY record of the lock being an issue was on a 44mag

The recoil from ultra-calibers can make it go screwy

I've had 0 problems on my 38 special airtight
View Quote
Wrong.

Some of the scandium framed 357s also had issues.  It's a snappy recoil issue, not a caliber specific issue.  Snappy recoil = higher % risk of the lock being activated.

It is possible to remove the lock, and you can find plugs for the hole.  It doesn't fix the cosmetic issue, but for a defensive gun it would remove the lock problem.  And for a carry gun, who cares if it's cosmetically blemished, it's going to get plenty of wear on it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wrong.

Some of the scandium framed 357s also had issues.  It's a snappy recoil issue, not a caliber specific issue.  Snappy recoil = higher % risk of the lock being activated.

It is possible to remove the lock, and you can find plugs for the hole.  It doesn't fix the cosmetic issue, but for a defensive gun it would remove the lock problem.  And for a carry gun, who cares if it's cosmetically blemished, it's going to get plenty of wear on it.
View Quote
A lot of the supposed failures, when you dig deeper, are on guns that have had "trigger jobs" done to them.  There are only a few well documented cases of stock guns having the failure.

I have also never seen someone really be able to repeat the failure. No one has been able to create a test where they can repeatedly and reliably recreate a condition that will cause the internal lock failure to happen on command.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A lot of the supposed failures, when you dig deeper, are on guns that have had "trigger jobs" done to them.  There are only a few well documented cases of stock guns having the failure.

I have also never seen someone really be able to repeat the failure. No one has been able to create a test where they can repeatedly and reliably recreate a condition that will cause the internal lock failure to happen on command.
View Quote
That should scare you more.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That should scare you more.
View Quote
To a degree, but it also make me doubt many of the stories.  It's a mechanical system, if it has a failure mode then someone should be able to repeat it in a lab setting.  I have not seen anyone that has been able to.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't buy a Smith revolver with the lock. I have seen one lock revolver have a problem and refuse to fire. It was a 642 that was being carried daily.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Only IL guns that interest me are the PDs, NGs, and the very hard to find 627 JM.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I won't own one.  No value to me.  It is comical to see some asshole trying to dump one off on a sale forum and they only post photos from the other side.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OK, first off not looking to sell it here as I am a FFL. But I have a guy that I ordered a brand new S&W M 17 Classic for 2 weeks ago. Four days after he gets it calls me and wants to trade it in on another gun that I have to order and pay for. I looked at closed auctions on GB with out much success. The only one I saw closed had 0 bids. I really don't want this gun, so I guess I will have to stick him good fearing that I may not even get $600 for the damn thing. I bet if it didn't have that stupid lock it would sell better.

Thoughts?
View Quote

I had one of those in my shop for a while. It was a tough sell. All the true S&W guys turned their noses up at it. Finally sold it to a guy who didn't know the difference.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#34]
It might be worth it to buy the plug and install before trying to sell.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:44:31 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a nice collection of classic Smiths, and just need to track a few down for the whole "set".

I bought a 627 PC about 8 years ago or so. It was about a 1000 bucks with the aluminum case. It has the pecker hole on the side. I shot that mechanical asshole once and am now ashamed I spent good money on it. I keep it as a reminder of what kind of shit S&W makes today. I will buy pistols new, but won't waste another cent on a gun with a lock.

I just thank the white baby Jesus I have a nice classic 27 to shoot, among several K and L frames that get love as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:59:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't own them....

Simple as that. 
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#37]
It's a minor cosmetic defect. So about as much as if it had a scratch or finish wear the same size.

I wouldn't even know it was there if people didn't bitch about it so much online.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's a minor cosmetic defect. So about as much as if it had a scratch or finish wear the same size.

I wouldn't even know it was there if people didn't bitch about it so much online.
View Quote
Different lock work inside. 

The S&W revolvers of today have closer connections to Taurus than S&W. 

Internal Hammer, Two Piece Barrels, Different Lockwork, Lawyer Locks.... 

There is a reason why original used S&W wheel guns sell for more than new Classic Line Guns. I can flip my Model 29, 27, 19, 14, 629, 686, 66, 625, etc for more than what new production runs of them go for. 
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#39]
If you were to give me one,  I still would not want it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If you were to give me one,  I still would not want it.
View Quote
Meh, The Internal Lock and the MIM parts on my S&W 627 PC have never stopped my round gun from embarrassing a fair number of the bottom feeders at the local USPSA matches.

Slightly over half of the competitors at this year's USPSA Revolver National match was shooting a 9mm revolver.  So roughly half of the countries best competitive revolver shooters were shooting Internal Lock guns with MIM parts.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#41]
I also have no use for one and would never buy a S&W with an internal lock.  Its got to be a pre-lock Smith and the older the better for me.  

I've sold off almost all of my older guns I've accumulated for the last several decades.  However, none of my Smith revolvers are going anywhere until its dirt nap time for me.  I've even bought a few more Smith revolvers in recent years. Again, they have to to be the older pre-lock ones or they have no value to me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I refuse to buy one.
View Quote
x2
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
x2
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I refuse to buy one.
x2
Good it will keep the price down on the new ones...
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:06:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I refuse to buy one.
x2
Doesn't seem to have; they just don't sell enough  revolvers anymore.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I refuse to buy one.
x2
Depends on the model, I can get some new S&W revolvers cheaper than the same model ones without the lock is some cases.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Different lock work inside. 

The S&W revolvers of today have closer connections to Taurus than S&W. 

Internal Hammer, Two Piece Barrels, Different Lockwork, Lawyer Locks.... 

There is a reason why original used S&W wheel guns sell for more than new Classic Line Guns. I can flip my Model 29, 27, 19, 14, 629, 686, 66, 625, etc for more than what new production runs of them go for. 
View Quote
At least the 442 / 642 have a 1 piece barrel.  And you can still get them without the lock.  I don't know how much different the rest of the internals are.  And those are still reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#47]
I always strongly encourage people to buy new and improved hole model S&W's. Far superior to the old junk made with inferior machining.

I need less competition buying the older S&W's.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I refuse to buy one.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I refuse to buy one.
View Quote
Amen.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I have bought 6 S&W revolvers with locks and MIM and never have had a problem. I know several people who have had the same experience as me with multiple purchases. I nor any of my aquantices have never met anyone who has had an actual experience with the lock. Our only experience with lock failure has been in reading about it on the internet. I like the frame mounted firing pin and MIM hammer as it seems much faster with the lock time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top