Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2018 6:55:55 PM EDT
I have done a few guns.  A xdm with a Burris fast fire and I have a tti Glock 35 that I love.  Thinking of getting one of my 1911’s done.  Just wondering how many have done one and what your thoughts are.  Thanks.   Oh and always pics would be great!!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Had one in 9mm, miss it, going to get a Kimber KHX and drop an RM06 on it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Everything is finished.  Just waiting on the rmr to get back from refurb by trijicon.  
Started as a Remington R1.  Used lots of ed brown and Wilson parts.   There is t much left of the original gun.   It had been a very fun journey.   I have fitted everything my self and I can wait to shoot it.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
On another note.  I am thinking of selling my Original R1 slide.  It will be a complete slide.   What is something like that worth??   Might as well recoupe some of the money I put into this gun :-).

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Who did the milling on the slide for the RMR?

I would love to have a 1911 with a RMR.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought it from brownells.    It is an Ed Brown slide that comes pre-machined for the trijicon mount.   Didn’t need to much fitting.   Everything went together pretty easy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Got the rmr back from trijicon and on the pistol.  Looks good.  Now I just need some range time.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Neat. What is your approximate total out of pocket on that?
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]
looks like it turned out for you.
I hate to say it but i'm always skeptical when people go swapping a bunch of parts on their 1911s like it's a Glock. As you say, fitting was required.  Working in a gun store for a while I just saw too many 1911s go out the door only to show back up as non-functioning paperweights when someone got ahold of a Brownells catalog and started ordering parts.

Please keep us posted on range time, not only for a function test, but I am also curious what you think about the RMR on a 1911. I've had RMRs on Glocks and like it a bit, but it sounds interesting on a 1911.

As for the resale value of your Remington R1 slide: not sure on that.  I think they're fairly specific to Remington frames if you're going to retain the use of the firing pin block.  Maybe a couple hundred bucks to someone looking for something to play with? With the vertical serrations and odd dovetail sights i'm not sure what role it would fit in for someone.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neat. What is your approximate total out of pocket on that?
View Quote
Kinda hard to say.   This has been my learners tool on 1911’s.  Just to get the slide ready for an rmr it was around 500 bucks.   But I bought the ed brown slide.  You can probably have a slide milled for about half what the new slide costs.  I have a lot into this R1.  But that’s why I bought it.  I like to learn and tinker with things.   Someday I may just spend the 2-3 thou on a nice 1911, but for now I am happy with my tinkertoy versions :-).
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 7:23:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
looks like it turned out for you.
I hate to say it but i'm always skeptical when people go swapping a bunch of parts on their 1911s like it's a Glock. As you say, fitting was required.  Working in a gun store for a while I just saw too many 1911s go out the door only to show back up as non-functioning paperweights when someone got ahold of a Brownells catalog and started ordering parts.

Please keep us posted on range time, not only for a function test, but I am also curious what you think about the RMR on a 1911. I've had RMRs on Glocks and like it a bit, but it sounds interesting on a 1911.

As for the resale value of your Remington R1 slide: not sure on that.  I think they're fairly specific to Remington frames if you're going to retain the use of the firing pin block.  Maybe a couple hundred bucks to someone looking for something to play with? With the vertical serrations and odd dovetail sights i'm not sure what role it would fit in for someone.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.  I understand what you mean when people don’t know what they are doing.  I bought this gun cause it was dirt cheap and allowed me to learn a great deal about 1911’s.  I am by far not an expert, but now feel fairly confident that I can do what I want with most any firearm that I have or will buy.   That is important to me.  I am sure I won’t have any major issues with this one.

I too have a rmr’d Glock.  A G35 done up by TTI.  It is an awesome gun.  It will be interested to in comparing the rmr’d 1911 to it.  Will post an update after I can get to the range.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I like it. But gotta ask, why is the RMR mount so high? I would have liked it if it was about half that.

Got a can for it? We need range video
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:49:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like it. But gotta ask, why is the RMR mount so high? I would have liked it if it was about half that.

Got a can for it? We need range video
View Quote
The picture makes it look a little higher than it really is.   The sights are lower 1/3 cowitness.  I don’t know if you have it milled if it will sit lower or not.  The slide is to narrow to have the rmr just sit on the slide like a Glock.  There has to be a mounting plate?

I do have a SiCo Osprey 45.   I will get some pics and vids out when I get to the range.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Seen any IWB/appendix holsters for 1911s with optics?

Thanks,

Not Dave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top