Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually do 300-ish to verify function, POI, etc.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:26:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m in the 500 round fmj and at least 100 SD ammo camp.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ll shoot a couple hundred target rounds and a few mags of HP ammo to be sure. My new Glock 21 I bought last year fired 230 grain ball ammo with no problems at all. I couldn’t get through a mag of HP ammo without problems. It hangs up on the 11th round in every mag no matter which magazine.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m in the 500 round fmj and at least 100 SD ammo camp.
View Quote
Verifying reliability is both a valid reason and an excellent "excuse".  Practice is good and shooting is fun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:05:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
With a new gun I usually run at least 200 rounds of FMJ and then a few mags of my carry ammo ~50rds. At that point if I haven't had any malfunctions with either that's good enough for me to trust.
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]
My carry guns have always been SIGs and Glocks (G17, G19, G22, G23, P226, P228, P229, P239, P220).  I have probably fired fifty thousand rounds or better (high quality government issue).  The only malfunctions I ever had were when we had to shoot special green ammo at the Fort Meade range, which resulted in whole days of malfunction clearing and training for every gun we had.  My life experience tells me that about the only way high quality guns malfunction, is from bad ammo, bad magazines, or bad luck.

I've never carried a SIG or Glock I haven't shot, but I wouldn't feel scared to do it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I tend to lean towards the 200 +- ball then 50 carry. I will usually give it a light clean and lube first and again after I’m done.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#8]
With glocks, I'll put like 150rds of quality fmj in different weights (AE124 / AE115 / AE147) as I get used to the gun. Then I'll put like 5 mags of my carry ammo (124 HST) WITH one in the chamber through it. I'm doing this with 4 SHIELD mags now (but I'm also only loading it to 14+1 b/c 15rds just seems too greedy!). I was waiting for my new MAC Defense optic cut slide to arrive, so I'm vetting two of the mags tomorrow, and two next range trip.

I'm sure a LOT of people would say you need more than 5 mags of HD ammo, but I don't have the money for that.
--
The worst part is when you have issues with a gun--if it chokes on the first 100, before you change something, then you want to put 200 rounds through it; I bought THREE Kahr CW380s, which SAY you need to shoot 200-500 (depending on who you ask) to break them in.  I kept trying to find one that would run, tweaking things, and then retrying it.  After about 1500 rounds, I finally learned my lesson with small Kahrs.  
--
Also, the P365 had so many early issues and rolling changes, that I sold my first one and waited a little over year before getting another. Even then, there was a striker-tip change after about 1.5 years. Mine has never had an issue, and now it doesn't even have any primer drag.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#9]
About 1 magazine .

Why waste ammo?

Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#10]
500. You'll be really, really confident.  It's not just about the function check if it it's a new platform/model, it's also weapon familiarity exercise.  100-200 including a few of your carry rounds if you are just checking reliability after replacing or upgrading critical parts.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:16:31 AM EDT
[#11]
depends on gun

For my Kahr CM9 (been my favorite CCW)

small gun with super tight springs and stiff recoil spring

Clean off shipping / storing lubricant
Clean
Oil with my stock
Rack slide 200 times
Leave slide racked back for 48 hours

Gun at this point will be shot and not cleaned until after initial testing

Gun and 3 mags

4 types of ball ammo (1 preferred and 3 cheap inventory stuff)

all mags full capacity preferred fmj

all mags full capacity preferred JHP (if high capacity gun mark one mag and get at least a full load of your jhp through it and carry this mag in the gun)

all mags full capacity with cheap JHP with big mouth and sharp edges (sig ammo, silvertip, remington ultimate hd or hornady with that plastic tip) we all usually have boxes of various stuff we used in the past this has become test fodder

all mags with ghetto mix and match fmj, all mags with mix and match JHP

by 50 rounds of ball and 25 rounds of JHP you should be gaining confidence or seeing problems.

Once  a mag has passed the ghetto load with fmj and jhp mark the bottom and use the next mag. You don't want to drive home thinking you have a bad gun when you actually have a bad magazine

at 200 rounds I will carry the gun but this is a combination of rounds through gun and shooting to comfortable distances and shooting confidence at targets

at 500 rounds I will clean the gun

If  a gun survives the ghetto mags jhp and fmj alone it's most likely good to go

bigger duty size guns (50 rounds ball and 50 rounds jhp and your probably good) are more forgiving than small compact looking for a mechanical problem by design guns
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
With a new gun I usually run at least 200 rounds of FMJ and then a few mags of my carry ammo ~50rds. At that point if I haven't had any malfunctions with either that's good enough for me to trust.
View Quote
This. I also shoot up all my loaded carry mags once a year, to use up the ammo and to make sure I'm still comfortable with them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
About 1 magazine .

Why waste ammo?

View Quote
How is training waste?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
About 1 magazine .

Why waste ammo?

View Quote
Is your life going to depend on it working?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top