Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2021 9:42:40 PM EDT
I have one of the color cased hardened DE's heading my way.  The case hardening has a reputation in other items for being delicate and fragile and the colors fading away even from looking at it wrong.
I'm wondering about this finish on the desert eagle.  Is it real case hardening or some sort of hydro-dip or other voodoo?  How much do I have to baby it to keep it looking like this?  And will having it cerakoted with clear over top help keep it looking like new?

Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:22:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rincoln] [#1]
I debated getting one a while back.  I went back and forth with the factory several times, with them wanting more than reasonable for the item to have all 3 Mk XIX barrels.  In the end I opted for a 3 barrel kit in the standard black finish for less than half what they wanted for the case hardened version.  I actually use it, didn't need a reason not to.

Anyway, the color case-hardening is a true case hardening.  It is then coated in a clear protective coat.  I don't remember if I got a clear answer on the material of the clear coat.  I hope that answers your question, since it already has the protection on the pistol.

More information here:  Kahr Firearms Group - Color Case Hardened Desert Eagle 50AE
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got off the phone with magnum research.  They dude said it was a lacquer clear coat.  And to avoid harsh solvents and such.  So that pretty much rules out stripping the lacquer and cerakoting.  The process of cleaning the gun for cerakote would probably nuke all the colors you were hoping to preserve.

He also mentioned that he has a customer who runs 100-200 rounds through his a week and takes it home and cleans it.  4 months in, most of the pretty color is gone.  

So thats pretty much it.  Its pretty for a few months to get your instagram photos in, and then its gone.  Guess if it looks too junky, I'll be sending it off for some sort of refinishing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top