Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 4/30/2022 10:13:38 PM EDT
I keep seeing that people think the Colt revolver internals are not as robust as S&Ws are, specifically going out of time easily.
Is this true of the new production guns, or is it just internet innuendo?

The 3" King Cobra is mighty attractive to me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The old Colt lockwork had a reputation for going out of time. Being soft was the term used.  How common is anyone's guess at this point.  No where near as common as the internet would have you believe.

The new Colts are a different creature.  More akin to the Trooper Mk III lockwork.  The T III has an excellent reputation for standing up to abuse, perhaps better than anything else on the market.

I have a King Cobra in three inch.  The trigger is very very nice.  I have no worries about it going out of time, but I don't worry about it on my old Colts either.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
The new ones are solid
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#3]
It was never true of the original King Cobra.

Apparently some people think it was built on the same lockwork as the New Service and Python.

It wasn't, it was built on the MkV lockwork. All of the new Colts are very robust.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#4]
This is equivalent to S&W's K Frame?
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
View Quote

The King Cobra is a touch smaller.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:56:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:

The King Cobra is a touch smaller.
View Quote

Thanks. I'd been thinking about picking up a 3" Ruger SP101, but it looks like the King Cobra is basically the same size and weight +1 round.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:14:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: goodguy2021] [#7]
I just found out about an "issue" with the new KC trigger.
If you don't let it completely reset it fucks up. S&W revolvers will continue forward and you're gtg.
Not digging that. Love the KC otherwise.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Roughly.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Thanks. I'd been thinking about picking up a 3" Ruger SP101, but it looks like the King Cobra is basically the same size and weight +1 round.
View Quote

I have both.  The KC is a bit larger than the Ruger.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By goodguy2021:
If you don't let it completely reset it fucks up. S&W revolvers will continue forward and you're gtg.
View Quote

If you pull the trigger before the reset on a smith it also doesn’t do anything but allow the trigger to pull back same for rugers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:34:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

If you pull the trigger before the reset on a smith it also doesn’t do anything but allow the trigger to pull back same for rugers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Agree for Rugers, my Security Six has two or three distinct clicks before the trigger actually resets and can be pulled again, otherwise the trigger doesn’t go bang, skips a chamber too I believe? It’s been a bit but I always remind myself gotta let that finger fly off and then get back on…
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 12:54:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunnie357] [#12]
Originally Posted By theguymontag:

Agree for Rugers, my Security Six has two or three distinct clicks before the trigger actually resets and can be pulled again, otherwise the trigger doesn’t go bang, skips a chamber too I believe? It’s been a bit but I always remind myself gotta let that finger fly off and then get back on…
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By theguymontag:

If memory serves that’s right on the 101. Smiths kind of different in that if you go to early at part of the release they simply are dead and allow pull to the rear with no problem. A bit more and it just won’t let you pull because it’s locked.

ETA: scratch the first just checked my sp101 and it performs as I described my smith.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#13]
The Python operates different than the S&W.
The cylinder is held in (more secure and motionless) position by both the bolt AND the hand.
That results in the hand having a point of wear where it needs to be replaced as a normal maintenance task. That's designed in as acceptable because it achieves mo solid cylinder locking.

People who buy Ducati motorcycles with desmo valves (should) understand that they require more frequent valve maintenance. If that normal maintenance is a burden then buy another brand but the Ducati engine isn't "weak", "soft" or less reliable, it's different.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JTMcC:
The cylinder is held in (more secure and motionless) position by both the bolt AND the hand.
That results in the hand having a point of wear where it needs to be replaced as a normal maintenance task. That's designed in as acceptable because it achieves mo solid cylinder locking.

People who buy Ducati motorcycles with desmo valves (should) understand that they require more frequent valve maintenance. If that normal maintenance is a burden then buy another brand but the Ducati engine isn't "weak", "soft" or less reliable, it's different.
View Quote

The new Pythons are based on Trooper lockwork and don't hold the hand against the ratchet. The King Cobra operates the same way.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

The new Pythons are based on Trooper lockwork and don't hold the hand against the ratchet. The King Cobra operates the same way.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AK-12:
Originally Posted By JTMcC:

I'm aware of that but I didn't type it well, Old Pythons.
I haven't seen or heard of any hard, heavy use on the new Cold revolvers yet but it will be interesting to see, I expect them to hold up very well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BlitzPig:
I keep seeing that people think the Colt revolver internals are not as robust as S&Ws are, specifically going out of time easily.
Is this true of the new production guns, or is it just internet innuendo?

The 3" King Cobra is mighty attractive to me.
View Quote

The going out of time on Colts is over exaggerated

I have owned more than 30 colt revolvers and only two were out of time.  And they were old and abused.  The eventually going out of time was normal wear and tear.   A competent gunsmith could maintenance it to bring it back into time.

I have had three smiths I have owned that were out of time as well.  It is easier for a gunsmith to bring them back into time but once again a gunsmith who deals with Colts can easily bring a colt back as well.

All other Colts I have owned have yet to have a timing issue.  And I fire them a lot.

So in other words that should not be a significant worry for you.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks JMD.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:32:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: airfoil] [#18]
My new Colt KC target fits in a leather holster I bought for a SP101 perfectly...and after maybe a thousand rounds...it's in time.  I'm sure it will stay in time for many, many more thousands.  It feels as durable as a Ruger, certainly better finished.  And, it doesn't have the S&W K frame Hillary hole, or the clunky looking Ruger GP100 frame.

A 3" Colt KC would be one of the finest carry revolvers made...I wanna get one, too.  

I have never noticed the reset as a problem on mine, but would guess it would only happen if you were pulling the trigger way too fast.
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 12:22:07 AM EDT
[#19]
They are wonderful guns. Smaller than a K frame, yet still 6 rounds.
Very happy with mine.
Attachment Attached File
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top