Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2021 9:16:03 AM EDT
I recently decided want a 6" GP-100 in .357 magnum for a hunting gun.  My first thought was a stainless GP-100, which is the iconic look for the GP and SP series (at least IMHO).

I wish I had come to this decision 1.5 years ago, because now, post panic, stainless GP-100s are hard to find.  But I have found some that are blued available and at prices pretty close to pre-panic.

I'm just slightly concerned about how the bluing will hold up to lots of days humping around fields and woods.  During parts of the season where I hunt is in a river valley, and the pre-dawn fog is thick enough to cut with a knife.  So anything metal that goes out hunting is quickly covered with condensation.

Curious to hear from anyone who carries blued Ruger revolvers around outside.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Ordinary gun blue is fairly delicate. It's a very thin layer of what amounts to a form of iron oxide, rust. Holsters wear it off where ever it rubs the gun. A blued gun used in the conditions that you describe is going to need some tlc. Check out this thread.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Blueing has never been Ruger's strong suit.  It's a cold blue process and doesn't hold up all that well.  I like Ruger a lot and own a number of their blued models.  I don't consider them a good wet weather or humid climate option.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ordinary gun blue is fairly delicate. It's a very thin layer of what amounts to a form of iron oxide, rust. Holsters wear it off where ever it rubs the gun. A blued gun used in the conditions that you describe is going to need some tlc. Check out this thread.
View Quote

Thanks, good read.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:49:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Blueing has never been Ruger's strong suit.  It's a cold blue process and doesn't hold up all that well.  I like Ruger a lot and own a number of their blued models.  I don't consider them a good wet weather or humid climate option.
View Quote

My only Ruger experience with blued guns of relatively recent production is 10/22s, and those barrels are pretty "meh" at resisting wet conditions,  Which is why my personal 10/22 for squirrel hunting is stainless.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I highly doubt they use cold bluing
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

This gun was on my belt for 2 3 month canoe trips plus countless backpacking trips. It shows wear but no more or less than any other blued gun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/20210106_095050_jpg-1878342.JPG

This gun was on my belt for 2 3 month canoe trips plus countless backpacking trips. It shows wear but no more or less than any other blued gun.
View Quote

That’s a nice picture

Honest field wear is not a concern for me.  I just don’t want to be chasing rust all the time.  

I’m assuming during that Ruger’s field carry it wasn’t be babied daily?
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that a steel grip conversion on that Blackhawk?  

Mine looks about the same, honest holster wear.  It was used when I bought it and I've carried it some while hunting but not extensively.  I can't speak to the more recent bluing, I know a lot of processes have changed over the years due to EPA requirements.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#9]
A little wax goes a long way towards improving a blued finish.

It does require occasional re-application.

Not a dunk the gun in brine finish, but it does protect the appearance quite well for the cost.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That’s a nice picture

Honest field wear is not a concern for me.  I just don’t want to be chasing rust all the time.  

I’m assuming during that Ruger’s field carry it wasn’t be babied daily?
View Quote

Nope, not babied. The only shelter was a tarp or the stars. Id wipe it down at night while I was sitting by the fire smoking my pipe.

Quoted:

Is that a steel grip conversion on that Blackhawk?  

Mine looks about the same, honest holster wear.  It was used when I bought it and I've carried it some while hunting but not extensively.  I can't speak to the more recent bluing, I know a lot of processes have changed over the years due to EPA requirements.
View Quote

No, it the AL grip. I just sanded the anodizing down.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your pistol was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread, but I was too tired to "@" you at the time.

Nice shooting iron.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Your pistol was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread, but I was too tired to "@" you at the time.

Nice shooting iron.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice shooting iron.

I feel bad. I dont carry her that often anymore. I did get a mernickle holster last summer.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:18:11 AM EDT
[#13]
The bluing on Rugers wears off pretty fast compared to other makers.

The good thing it that, cold blue, works great to touch them up.  I can get full color back with 2 appliations.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#14]
As long as to take a reasonable amount of care is taken before exposing them to the inclement weather I don't think you are going to have any issues.

-- Use a decent wax on the gun (Johnsons Paste wax or Renaissance) to help with the water resistance and keeping the salts from your fingers off of it.
|--- Make sure you get in all of the nooks and crannies. Use a hairdryer to melt the wax into those hard to reach crevices for additional protection.
-- Take it out of the holster when you come in for the night and allow it and the holster to dry out.
-- Don't store the gun in the holster.
That is about it.

Think of all the blued rifles that have been used afield for years on end. The vast majority aren't rusted hulks, They show honest field wear but not rust, if properly cared for.
Even more severe are the black powder guns. Burned BP is massively hydroscopic and will absorb water and hold it. A little care and those old muskets have lasted 100+ years.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top