Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2019 8:40:24 AM EDT
**COMING SOON**

The new HE508T Micro Red Dot System from Holosun is a pistol-sized optic with an open frame for a great sight picture, clear glass and a indestructible CNC machined Titanium housing. It is powered by a CR2032 battery and Holosun’s innovative Solar Fail-safe back up. The HE508T will run up to 10 years on a single battery on setting 6, dot only. Featuring our Multi-reticle system, the HE508T allows the operator to switch the reticle between a 32 MOA circle with 2 MOA dot, a 2 MOA dot only, or a 32 MOA ring only, all at the push of a button. Better yet, the same LED projects all three reticles, so no re-zeroing is necessary. It comes equipped with Holosun's Shake Awake technology with last setting recall. This optic has our features in one tough, small package.
View Quote
HE508T Product page. https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=97

HE508T UPC search. https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/605930624731

Link to the Holosun HS507C MRDS, thread. https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Holosun-HS507C-MRDS-Update-02-11-2019/23-183348/

For comparison purposes, here is a link to the HS507C product page. https://holosun.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=61
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:15:56 AM EDT
[#1]
So essentially the only differences are its titanium, and barely smaller and lighter? Thats all Im seeing, am I missing something?
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So essentially the only differences are its titanium, and barely smaller and lighter? Thats all Im seeing, am I missing something?
View Quote
Think it's the same size... Yes, titanium housing is the primary difference.

Should be a winner.  I've been impressed with the 507 so far.  I actually prefer it to the RMR in terms of features, glass and reticle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
I haven't had time to sit and read the exact differences, but a relative said the HE508T had a green dot. I haven't verified it myself yet.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Meh, I’ll skip it. Waiting for the (enclosed) 509
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Meh, I’ll skip it. Waiting for the (enclosed) 509
View Quote
Problem with the 509 is that it has an integrated pic-rail mount, so it's not going to work for most pistol applications.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 10:09:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I haven't had time to sit and read the exact differences, but a relative said the HE508T had a green dot. I haven't verified it myself yet.
View Quote
It'll come in either red or green.  They keep that information super well protected right on their webpage.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#8]
This was not on my radar until I saw this thread.

So reliability wise it’s up there with the RMR?

How does the auto-brightness compare?   Since it uses the solar panel at the top as a sensor, does that create an issue when shooting from a dark environment into a bright one?
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Problem with the 509 is that it has an integrated pic-rail mount, so it's not going to work for most pistol applications.
View Quote
Can you confirm the 509 has a picatinny footprint? I was under the assumption it was mirroring the ACRO footprint.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Can you confirm the 509 has a picatinny footprint? I was under the assumption it was mirroring the ACRO footprint.
View Quote
Pictures of it.  Clearly an integrated pic mount.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Never mind.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Mobile phone double post.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Pictures of it.  Clearly an integrated pic mount.
View Quote
No. Picatinny TYPE mount, but proprietary (much much smaller).
It requires an adaptor plate (pistol or rifle).
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Is there any other differences between the 507 and the 508 other than housing materials? The internals and electronics are the exact same right? Basically, is the bigger price really worth it for the 508?
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I really just brought it up in that other thread because I like that it's got a blacked out logo.

I'm really impressed with the positive press the Holosuns are getting from guys like Cowan and Fisher.
View Quote
Add Mike Pannone to that list
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This was not on my radar until I saw this thread.

So reliability wise it’s up there with the RMR?

How does the auto-brightness compare?   Since it uses the solar panel at the top as a sensor, does that create an issue when shooting from a dark environment into a bright one?
View Quote
In my opinion the solar panel on Holosuns should only be utilized while at the range or if the battery is dead.  With ambient light the reticle is bright enough to pick up, but the second you use light on what you're aiming at the reticle gets washed out.  I set mine on the second to the highest brightness and it seems to work in all conditions.  Bright enough for daylight, and doesn't get washed out in total darkness where I would have to used a light.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Watched a Garand Thumb video last night with Travis Haley in it where he was running a Holosun 515C of some variant and said he was testing one of their light and laser combos.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just took RDS Pistol with Steve Fisher and he also spoke of being impressed with Holosun.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#20]
FYI Brownells is doing a preorder and the $35 off 300 code “VFF” works. Shows up as $315 in my cart with free shipping
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
FYI Brownells is doing a preorder and the $35 off 300 code “VFF” works. Shows up as $315 in my cart with free shipping
View Quote
Tried this and it did not work.

However, the code 'PTG' is working today for 10% with free shipping. Brings the 508T down to $315 with free shipping.
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#22]
I received the HE508T-RD from Brownells today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2019 4:23:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought the dot version, not circle dot.  Shake awake and solar.

Link Posted: 8/6/2019 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
Nice. When did you order? I ordered mine July 1 from Brownells.
Link Posted: 8/7/2019 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nice. When did you order? I ordered mine July 1 from Brownells.
View Quote
I preordered it on April 16th.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes.  I spoke with holosun about this. The electronics in the 507 and 508 are exactly the same. Surprisingly though, they told me the 508 is actually heavier. They are in the process of updating specs on the website because the weight listed for the 507 includes the picatinny mount. Weight of just the sight according to holosun.
507 is 1.35 oz (I confirmed this on my own scale)
508 is approx 1.8 oz

Quoted:
Is there any other differences between the 507 and the 508 other than housing materials? The internals and electronics are the exact same right? Basically, is the bigger price really worth it for the 508?
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 6:35:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I bought the dot version, not circle dot.  Shake awake and solar.

https://i.imgur.com/e4sZG7n.jpg
View Quote
@Wildearp

Any regerts with the 407? I have the 507 on my Poly80g17 and Inhave been using the circle dot until recently. The other day I was shooting a steel plate rack and the circle made it harder to see the plates. Switched it over to dot only and have shot it a couple time since.. Kinda like the dot better but not sure. Might look for a 407 for the 22/45 I plan on buying.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes.  I spoke with holosun about this. The electronics in the 507 and 508 are exactly the same. Surprisingly though, they told me the 508 is actually heavier. They are in the process of updating specs on the website because the weight listed for the 507 includes the picatinny mount. Weight of just the sight according to holosun.
507 is 1.35 oz (I confirmed this on my own scale)
508 is approx 1.8 oz
View Quote
so how is the 508 different from the 507? besides weight? are there any advantages going with the 508?
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

so how is the 508 different from the 507? besides weight? are there any advantages going with the 508?
View Quote
Titanium vs aluminum
Engraved branding vs white laser etching
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 8:32:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@Wildearp

Any regerts with the 407? I have the 507 on my Poly80g17 and Inhave been using the circle dot until recently. The other day I was shooting a steel plate rack and the circle made it harder to see the plates. Switched it over to dot only and have shot it a couple time since.. Kinda like the dot better but not sure. Might look for a 407 for the 22/45 I plan on buying.
View Quote
Yeah, I honestly thought I was getting the circle dot, which seems to be quicker for a newb to find the dot.  I have already been using the Romeo1, so it wasn't that big of a deal.  The Holosun is slightly narrower than the Romeo1.

Interesting to hear that it was harder to line up on plates.  I played with some of the different color dots in the store and some of them are impossible to find in some natural back grounds. I seem to remember that one of them I played with had a multiple color option, but that may have been wishful thinking on my part.

I bet I end up with a stack of them......

I shot both last Sunday.  It was a shakey day for me, but the dot really helps.  It would have been a bad day for irons.  I forgot my water and I was clearly dehydrated in the sweltering heat.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Lot of places where Ti makes sense, micro dot housing is not one of them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Lot of places where Ti makes sense, micro dot housing is not one of them.
View Quote
What's the reason why titanium would not be better than aluminum for this application?  I'm not a mechanical/structural engineer or any type of engineer for that matter.  Asking because of ignorance of the subject.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What's the reason why titanium would not be better than aluminum for this application?  I'm not a mechanical/structural engineer or any type of engineer for that matter.  Asking because of ignorance of the subject.
View Quote
It only adds weight.  If your microdot breaks because the al housing gets crushed, you have bigger problems
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 11:09:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It only adds weight.  If your microdot breaks because the al housing gets crushed, you have bigger problems
View Quote
According to Holosun's specs the 508T is almost an ounce lighter than the aluminum 507C
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

According to Holosun's specs the 508T is almost an ounce lighter than the aluminum 507C
View Quote
see above
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 1:46:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Refer to my post above on why that's wrong.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Anyone running a HE508T on a AR?
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Anyone running a HE508T on a AR?
View Quote
Why would you want to when there are significantly better options?
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
@Trash_Panda

Then why is the 508 lighter than the 507 and seem to survive the Sage Dynamics torture test better than the 507?
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@Trash_Panda

Then why is the 508 lighter than the 507 and seem to survive the Sage Dynamics torture test better than the 507?
View Quote
Read the freaking thread
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Read the freaking thread
View Quote
I did.  Your answer still doesn’t make any sense.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#42]

So far I'm pretty happy with choosing the 507c
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#43]
The titanium 508T survived all the drop tests.  The 507c did not.
I THINK they made it thicker than the aluminum as well.
But the 508T is heavier than the 507C, but that makes sense--titanium is heavier than aluminum.

Regardless, the titanium holosun seems to be tougher than the aluminum one even if arfcom-metallurgists or engineers can't explain why that's the case.

ODD OBSERVATION with my 407CO:
My astigmatism is sometimes worse than others (due to many factors I'm sure).  I noticed a lot of times I see double--two of the reticles:  one ring at 2:00 and the other at 8:00--almost touching.  What's odd is that the TOP image looks brighter and I've been ASSUMING it was the "REAL" aiming point; however, when I look through a small hole, I can see that the dimmer bottom dot is real, and as I open the size of the hole, the 2nd one (at 2pm) appears.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#44]
As an FYI about Holosun warranty, the elite series have a lifetime warranty for the glass and frame and 10 year on the electronics:
"Your Holosun Elite product is warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship to the first owner upon registration of the product. This warranty specifically applies to the metal structure, optical and illumination systems. The metal structure/housing and optical system (glass) of your Holosun Elite product  is warrantied for the life of the product under normal, personal use. Under the Holosun Elite Warranty, the illumination system (LED and electronics), is warrantied for 10 years from the manufacture date under normal, personal use. In the event of a confirmed defect under this warranty, we will, at our option, repair or replace the product with a Holosun Elite product of similar type/function, and of equal or greater value. ..."

The standard products have the lifetime warranty but only three years on the electronics and five on the glass:
"Your Holosun product is warranted to be free of defects in materials and workmanship with the Holosun Limited Lifetime Warranty. This warranty applies to the first owner upon registration of the product. This warranty specifically applies to the metal structure of the product housing and does not apply to the optical and illumination systems. The optical glass is covered by a 5 year warranty. The illumination system including electronics and LED is covered by a 3 year warranty...."

The extra price on the elites includes the titanium hood and extended warranty in case anyone was asking why they should pay more.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 12:39:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Anybody have/try both the green and red?

I've have the red (and have had other MRDS, all red) and I wonder what green would be like. Red seems to flare a bit for my eyes.

The grass is always greener.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:30:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Holosun's warranty is a joke, the electronics or glass is what will go tits up.   Saying lifetime, then saying frame only down the paragraph is shady.

If you're buying for the warranty and/or titanium durability might as well spend another 50-$100 and get the Trijicon.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Holosun's warranty is a joke, the electronics or glass is what will go tits up.   Saying lifetime, then saying frame only down the paragraph is shady.

If you're buying for the warranty and/or titanium durability might as well spend another 50-$100 and get the Trijicon.
View Quote
I’ll keep buying them for durability, window size/clarity, reticles and battery life.

I run SRO’s competitively but after owning and using both extensively I prefer the 508 to the RMR.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#48]
I want that mini 507k, I think it is
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#49]
I tried the green reticle version and found it really did not draw my attention like red does. Returned it to Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Optics Planet has the HS507c for $229. Also had a coupon for 12% off rds so ended getting a 507c for $211 shipped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top