Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2021 9:42:25 PM EDT
I’m looking to get my first Hk pistol. And I am torn between these two models. For those that have either, or both, is there anything that one model does better than the other? Pros/cons of either?

From what I can find online, the main difference  is the aesthetics.
I also feel that the USP might be a stronger? Pistol, but I’m not sure.

I am looking at either pistol for mainly range time with the possibility of making it a carry piece, if I like it that much.

Any insight is welcomed. And for those wondering, no this is not my first pistol, just my first Hk. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I had both. Ended up selling the HK45c and I will probably sell the USP45c if I meet someone who wants it.

hk45c
+ newer design. standard rail
+ ambidextrous slide release
+ slide is more sculpted and thinner
+ probably about as compact as you are going to get for 8 rounds of 45
+ adjustable grip sizes
- rail inexplicably to short to work with a surefire x300 light
- grip textured so minimally it is almost slick

USPc 45
+ cool looking
+ fixed grip is pretty great
+ grip texture is probably the most aggressive texture ever released on a regular gun
-  slide is a absolute block. looks cool on the side with the lettering, the other side looks like crap
- proprietary rail from the cold war. GG&G sells an adapter but having a adapter on it is kinda crap

Both
+ take the same mags. mags are reliable
- come with a million trigger options, all of which are completely awful and outdated
- pistol is very complex inside. not a glock. replacing the trigger was terrifying

They are basically the same gun. The HK45c is the modern version so I would probably go with that unless if you are a collector

edit
I forgot to mention one negative trait they both share is hot loads will absolutely crush your trigger finger. Something about the way the HK trigger and trigger guard are designed just slams it into your trigger finger on recoil.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 2:45:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I very much disagree about the trigger.  My HK45C I bought brand new and have carried it IWB for over 10 years. I luckily got mags fairly cheap around that time buying used USPc mags from folks and have a smattering of the flat floor plates and “finger rest” floor plates. It originally was a V1 and had a decent trigger, not a light 1911 trigger but decent. I changed it to the LEM variant about a year ago and it feels much better. Having recently gotten a G45 and doing much more pistol shooting, I prefer the feel of the LEM over a stock Glock trigger.

The change over was not hard to do and if you can build an AR, you can work on the trigger on a HK45C or USPc with little trouble. There are tutorial videos that show exactly how to do it.

However, if you are expecting to do anything at all to customize the pistol, neither are really worth it. I consider the HK45C a dead platform as the amount of items like lights and holsters are limited. I bought a TLR3 for mine after talking to a rep and it fits great, but no one makes a holster for it, I’d need to get one custom built for it. As mentioned, I wouldn’t say the grip is tacky in the least. I don’t necessarily find it banana peel slick, but it’s not that grippy.

Of the two, however, I’d grab the HK45C. The updated rail, they use the same triggers, and the grip insets push it over the USPc in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both for your insight. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve had both for years and carry the USP. I have gorilla hands though and the HK45c is just too small/slippery. I wish the USP grip was larger…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both and prefer the HK45c. It is more modern, feels better in the hand and seems to be slightly more accurate for me. As already stated, they are nearly identical internally and use 95% of the same parts. I would say they are of equal durability and strength. You should also look at the Gray Guns SRS system. It makes the trigger really good. I have tons of HK pistols and the HK45c is one of my favorite.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

This is now a USPc picture thread
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I am ok with this. Bring on the pics!
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:21:46 PM EDT
[#9]
@DOE, I can’t tell from the pics, but is that the same gun? And nice shooting!
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#10]
ETA @omarmot nailed it. Newer HK45s are US-made/assembed if you care about rollmarks, there are aftermarket modifications for trigger if so-desired.

image from u/Boss958 on reddit
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:25:54 PM EDT
[#11]
The guy that broke it down above re: different pistols is spot on.

I really like HKs, but only own USPs (other than VP9).  Any modernized HK pistol other than the VP9 just didn’t suit me as well as it’s more antequated cousin in the USP line.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]
My HK45c is my favorite handgun in the world. I think it has the best lines, shapes in the industry. It's just my opinion.

I also carry it IWB from time to time (I tend to carry smaller handguns). I wish there was an identical model in 9mm (and no, it's not the P30).

I never owned a USPc, just a USP standard - I highly favor HK45 and HK45c's over USPs. Just my taste.

Pictured here amongst other things - suppressor sights just installed

Tactical Traditions by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@DOE, I can’t tell from the pics, but is that the same gun? And nice shooting!
View Quote

@MattyGunz

Two separate guns.  One is a CT version.
They are shooters.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That P5 is badass.
View Quote
So true - older guy here, I tend to like a certain shape to certain items.

Can you see how both handguns are beveled just below the barrel? Instead of abruptly cut off straight, as a 'block' - in the shape of many modern, contemporary ones.

My choice usually goes to firearms that have a certain style.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#16]
@DOE thank you. And that’s what I’m looking for ( a solid pistol that I can shoot the crap out of)

@SoloDallas nice gear. I always enjoyed your contributions in the tech forums. Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#17]
@SoloDallas

I'm looking at those same sights.  Does it shoot POA/POI?

@MattyGunz
You can shoot the crap and then some out of them.  They even run w/o oil.  

I've also owned the USPc45 in both black and stainless slide versions.  Nothing wrong with them, just older tech that's proven.  

For me, the newer versions have better ergos and qualities.  One thing I do not like is the grip texture or lack of it.  Very slippery with wet, sweaty, bloody hands.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@DOE thank you. And that's what I'm looking for ( a solid pistol that I can shoot the crap out of)

@SoloDallas nice gear. I always enjoyed your contributions in the tech forums. Thank you sir.
View Quote
A joy, the privilege of giving back. Joy (be well, have fun)!
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
@SoloDallas

I'm looking at those same sights.  Does it shoot POA/POI?
View Quote
Just installed - have NO idea! Will let you know as soon as I shoot the thing
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Both pistols are so close you might as well go with which one you like the looks of the most.
I have both and slightly favor the USPc. My carry is a USPc in .40. A little smaller and 12 or 13 round mags.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just installed - have NO idea! Will let you know as soon as I shoot the thing
View Quote

Let me know!
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Get both.

Personally I really do love both.  My HK45CT is bone stock other than the Griffin CAM-LOK.  The USP45C has an HK threaded barrel and Heinie straight 8 suppressor sights.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:34:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a USP40c and HK45c. I loved the USPc and carried it for about five years, but when lights on carry pistols became more the norm, I realized its limitations, especially as far as holsters go. I wanted to have both carry and “tactical” holsters for my primary pistol, and those just weren’t readily available for the USPc. Like a few others mentioned, I ended up switching to a Glock 19 because of all the available accessories - lights, holsters, aftermarket parts, etc. Even the HK45c is just something I have because it’s a beautiful pistol, but it will never be a primary carry pistol for me.

I personally couldn’t imagine choosing the USP45c over the HK45c, simply because of the rail. I know everyone has their personal preferences, but all other things being functionally equal, the rail gives the HK45c a significant edge, in my opinion.

I’ve actually wondered a few times whether is might be possible to mill a USP accessory rail into a more standard rail style, but I haven’t looked at the dimensions to see if there’s enough material.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a USP40c and HK45c. I loved the USPc and carried it for about five years, but when lights on carry pistols became more the norm, I realized its limitations, especially as far as holsters go. I wanted to have both carry and “tactical” holsters for my primary pistol, and those just weren’t readily available for the USPc. Like a few others mentioned, I ended up switching to a Glock 19 because of all the available accessories - lights, holsters, aftermarket parts, etc. Even the HK45c is just something I have because it’s a beautiful pistol, but it will never be a primary carry pistol for me.

I personally couldn’t imagine choosing the USP45c over the HK45c, simply because of the rail. I know everyone has their personal preferences, but all other things being functionally equal, the rail gives the HK45c a significant edge, in my opinion.

I’ve actually wondered a few times whether is might be possible to mill a USP accessory rail into a more standard rail style, but I haven’t looked at the dimensions to see if there’s enough material.
View Quote

I would agree, but they neutered the rail on the 45c to the point it won’t accept an X300; and since streamlight makes a light specifically for the USP…
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 12:37:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would agree, but they neutered the rail on the 45c to the point it won’t accept an X300; and since streamlight makes a light specifically for the USP…
View Quote

Oof, I wasn't aware of that. Since I never planned to carry or use my HK45c for anything other than occasional range trips, I hadn't tried a light on it. Looks like there's finally a solution though - just came across this thread yesterday.

I have a TLR-3 for my USP40c, and it seems so anemic now with its 125 lumens compared to other lights (like the TLR-7 Sub). But that was the light that convinced me that weaponlights on pistols were the way of the future, even as it steered me towards Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#26]
There's one light specifically for some sub-compacts, including the HK45c - you can see it above on my post (pictured).

Relatively new, Streamlight TLR-7 "sub"

Works great.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:31:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Even with all the Hk45c love, I’m leaning towards the USP. In all the platforms that offered interchangeable back straps, I’ve never used them. They just sit in the box.
Now my biggest hurdle will be finding one, and a decent price. Which leads me to my next question-

What does a USP compact 45 go for these days? And how much are mags?
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 2:27:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Even with all the Hk45c love, I’m leaning towards the USP. In all the platforms that offered interchangeable back straps, I’ve never used them. They just sit in the box.
Now my biggest hurdle will be finding one, and a decent price. Which leads me to my next question-

What does a USP compact 45 go for these days? And how much are mags?
View Quote

Look for a used one if you can. I snagged this fucker for $625 with 8 mags from my LGS. Doesn’t look like it was ever shot.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#29]
@ThaFuq. I figured I’d have to go used just based on availability. And that’s a damn good score! What holster is that too? I like it!
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@ThaFuq. I figured I’d have to go used just based on availability. And that’s a damn good score! What holster is that too? I like it!
View Quote

It’s a Stealthgear Ventcore Appendix. I have a couple and love them.

HERE
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Love my full size hk45T. I carry the P30. 45T is a great range gun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

HERE
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HERE

Thank you! They look comfy too. I’ve been looking for appendix rigs with double belt loops. You just cost me some money. Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

8 mags and those sights. The fuck, ThaFuq?
View Quote

That’s why I said tha fuck? Gimme that that shit. All but one mag were clearly never used.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thank you! They look comfy too. I’ve been looking for appendix rigs with double belt loops. You just cost me some money. Appreciate it.
View Quote

I’ve tried so many AIWB holster and could never get with it until I bought these. I carry my USP or G19 in one daily now. They make one with a sidecar mag holder, but I prefer to carry my mags on my belt.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone seeing 45C threaded barrels in stock?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I have both. I personally prefer the USPc. I disagree about the triggers. The HK triggers can be quite fantastic in SA/DA and LEM configurations.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/11/2022 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#38]
I've owned, carried, and shot both plenty. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Unfortunately, I had to sell the USPC45 and I really miss that gun. I still have the HK45C, and while I like it, there was just something about the USPC45 that I loved. My plan is to get a USPC9... if I can snag one when the next shipment comes in from HK.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There's one light specifically for some sub-compacts, including the HK45c - you can see it above on my post (pictured).

Works great.
View Quote

HK isn't on the compatibility list.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works great.

Looks to me like it works just fine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I prefer the USP (full size and compact) over the HK45 and HK45C. Having said that, I don't currently own a USP45 Compact (I have owned quite a few over the years), and my daily carry gun is a HK45C. If I had a USP45C it would replace the HK45C.

My biggest complaints for the HK45C is the hammer spur (I carry cocked-and-locked) vs the USPC's bobbed hammer and the grip is SLICK when wet.  The grip is easy to fix, but I don't want to replace the hammer.

Other thoughts ...

I prefer the GIANT slide release of the USP / USPC.
I prefer the larger paddle mag release of the HK45 / HK45C.
I MUCH PREFER the double recoil spring of the USP full size.
I MUCH PREFER the 1913 rail of the HK45 / HK45C.
I prefer the grip feel of the USP over the HK45.  The HK45 feels obnoxiously long.

I fired 134rds through my USP45 Expert today at lunch.  That gun always makes me look like a better shooter than I am.

My HK45C gets a lot of miles (literally).  I GORUCK three times a week with it on my hip.  This morning it saw four 14:38 miles plus some sprints and other exercise.  

At the end of the day, I don't think a person would be making a bad choice if they bought a USP45, USP45 Compact, HK45 or HK45C.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 1/26/2022 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#43]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works great.

Looks to me like it works just fine.

Disregard. I found a compatibility list on the product homepage. Looks like the TLR8 also fits.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Anyone seeing 45C threaded barrels in stock?
View Quote

@Wiskey_33

https://rimcountrymfg.com/product/rcm-uspc-45-threaded-barrel-578-28/
https://rimcountrymfg.com/product/rcm-hk45c-threaded-barrel-578-28/  (oos at the moment unfortunately)

Here is where I got mine.

Also if you are looking for a rail adapter gggaz.com makes them.

AZ is a hotbed for custom HK parts apparently
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#46]
I carry my HK45C on me when I GORUCK three times a week.  This morning was a 4 mile (wearing a 41 pound ruck) finishing with 1/4 mile sprint (wearing the ruck).  I carry the HK45C in an OWB paddle which places it right under my GORUCK waist belt.  That gun gets covered in sweat three times a week.  I just wipe off the sweat, run a oily cloth over it, shower and go to work.  I have never experienced any sort of corrosion of any kind.

The more I think about the USP45C to HK45C comparison the more I favor the USP45C because:

+ I really like the grip texture of the USP45C and find the HK45C to be "slick when wet".
+ I LOVE the giant slide release on the USP series.
+ I think its great the HK45 series has an ambi slide release, but I don't really use it.
+ I prefer the larger feel of the USP series safety.

Overall, they're mechanically the same gun.  HK should have used the double recoil system in the HK45 / HK45C and USP-C series.  That little plastic buffer is innovative, but two springs are mo'betta.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#47]
I wish HK would make a ....

Compact 45ACP with:

1) An abbreviated (perhaps a 10rd) USP45 magazine (therefore accepts the 12rd full size mag);
2) Grip texture of the USP;
3) Slide profile of the HK45 / HK45C;
4) Paddle mag release size of the HK45 / HK45C;
5) Slide release size of the USP (ambi is fine too);
6) Double recoil spring (RSA) of the USP full size;
7) O-Ring of the HK45 / HK45C;
8) Trigger of the USP Elite / Expert;
9) Ambi safety of the USP Elite / Expert but steel like the P30S;
10) 1913 rail (one slot longer than the HK45C to allow for a wider range of WML);
11) Spurless hammer of the USP-C;
12) No internal "lock" mechanism.

Winner.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I had both. Ended up selling the HK45c and I will probably sell the USP45c if I meet someone who wants it.
View Quote

What do you want for it
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Im hunting for HK45Cs now. I want to try a couple different texture options to fix the super slick option they went with. Makes no sense why they copied the P2000 grip texture. Thats been my only gripe which has caused hesitancy. I used to not want to midify guns permanently, now i just dont care.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top