Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2020 9:15:11 AM EDT
I’m looking at getting one of the HPG kit bags for carrying a pistol in the woods. I’ll be using my Glock 43 mostly. I’m trying to decide between the original V2 or the Snubby Original Pattern V2. I’m looking to carrry my gun plus a couple other small things, not too much. Just because there is space doesn’t mean I need to fill it. I’m leaning toward the original and not the Snubby because I wear a 2x-3x shirt. They say the Snubby is better for smaller framed folks. Those that have has either, do you wish you’d gone with the other and how has your experience been? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 9:23:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm a "Big Guy" too, so I went went full sized - couldn't be more happy.

Right sized for handgun PLUS some "needed stuff" for outdoors time (small sunscreen, bug repellent wipes, whistle, compass & ID).

Has been great for canoeing, mountain biking and hiking.

It is a well though out and made product!
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Im not a big guy wear size L t shirts.  I got the one that holds a glock 20 + mag. Usually have a compass, map, GPS in it too but the gun on it's own. Works well although I do like an OWB better when possible.

I have worn it over days of massive exertion mostly cold weather . Really happy with it. Was never uncomfortable or felt it was too big
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I can fit a good little bit in my Original after the pistol, so if you want to keep it relatively sleek go with the snubby if you know you don't want to ever hide anything bigger.

If you want to fit enough in it to be a stand alone emergency pack, the Original can do it. Emergency blanket and all.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both the OP Snubby and the V3 SAR kit bags. I'm an average size guy, usually wear an M t-shirt; 40" chest. The Snubby is noticeably smaller, which I like for running, but the V3 or its parent the V2 hold a lot more. I think on the HPG website they say the OP Snubby has the same volume as the Recon or Runner's kit bag.

A G43 is going to disappear in a V2 Original Pattern bag, so in that sense the Snubby bag will be more appropriately sized. But if you want to carry more than just the basics, you need that larger bag, and because you're a bigger guy, it's going to feel smaller. The V3 SAR is definitely bigger on me, but is so comfortable I forget it's there. If you want to carry more and/or a larger pistol at same point, get the bigger bag. If you value sleek minimalism, the Snubby is better.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:29:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the runners kit bag. I usually have a G20 or a M&P 4" compact in it.  With the bungie, it's great for running.  

I'm 6' and 185lbs.  I don't think the regular size is "too big.". I'm glad I didn't get the snubby, as I looked the option of carrying a bigger gun if there's bears around.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the Recon Kit bag.

Absolutely love it. One of the most functional pieces of nylon gear I've ever owned.

I got it for the MOLLE on the outside. With a gun inside the bag, it obviously takes up some depth. I typically put a G19 or VP9 in it with an extra mag. Adding everything else I'd like to have with me would kind of jam things up a little.

Inside the other main pocket, I keep some small basics like a folding knife, 50' of 550 cord, ID, fire rod, LifeStraw and so on, Using the MOLLE I attached two small mag pouches. One holds a somewhat bulky and often used multi-tool and the other holds a flashlight. This keeps the rather shallow 2nd main pocket from getting "pregnant" with small but thick items. Also, the gun pocket and the secondary main pocket share a nylon wall inside. I want the gun to be rapidly accessible and not have it jammed up. Could I carry less shit and forego the MOLLE? Sure, but the MOLLE allows options. I've attached my GoPro to it there as well.

This bag is so freakin handy kayaking and really just hiking to have hands free gear that is extremely, conveniently located. It's really not that big.....I definitely wouldn't want it any smaller. Mine looked like this exactly when I bought it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the big original kit bag. With a 40” chest, not a problem. There’s a temptation to overload it but you don’t have to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top