Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You could be right, wish he came back and had time to update these threads. What an awesome info center!
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I sort of half-assed re-read this thread and didn't see it addressed.  I also suspect that (understandably) maybe the guns aren't looked at in this level of detail.  A gunsmith and I got into an argument over this a couple of weeks ago, so here goes:  Has anyone noticed whether MIM parts tend to fail more than machined ones?  (I'm guessing most MIM parts are easily spotted by the knockout pin marks on them).

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 8:34:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HKPOF] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

Glock has never been a traditional handgun design.  I am not a metallurgist, but:

- Glock did not invent salt-bath nitriding, but Glock pioneered it’s use for handgun mass production, under its trademarked name: “Tennifer.”

- Tennifer/ nitriding happens at fairly low temps - often 1,100 degrees. Warping is generally not an issue at such low temps.

- Glock also figured out he could use a much cheaper, easier to machine, grade of steel (and save tons of $$$) if he simply salt-bath nitrided it.

- the result is Glock slides are a bit like an M&M candy: hard on the outside but relatively soft steel inside.

- Europe uses different names for their steel.  But whatever steel they are using, I am not convinced it goes through a separate heat treat after machining.  Just the nitriding.

So I do not believe it is a heat treating difference.  Rather, probably a grade of steel issue, that may make the slide prone to cracking.

but remember this is only at very high round counts, not at all typical of the average police officers use of his Glock.

View Quote

I'm curious, is there a superior steel and treatment or coating for gun slides that is better than what Glock uses?  What are they and do any gun makers use them?  Does HK use the same steel and heat treatment for the USP as Glock uses for it's guns ?

On YouTube, sootch00 tried out a Glock that had a titanium slide, it was lighter but snappier...

Titanium Glock Slide from Krytos Industries...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ErapMeIgQ

"The company has developed a series of Glock slides for the G17 and the G19 machined from solid billets of 6AL4V, aerospace grade titanium and finished with the company's own "ArmorTi" finish."...

https://americanhandgunner.com/gear/more-with-less-krytos-industries-titanium-glock-slides/

I wonder how those titanium slides and titanium slides in general would stand up to the abuse at Battlefield Las Vegas ?  Both titanium and stainless steel can have a problem with galling due to friction.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:20:55 AM EDT
[#4]
We use Glock 23s in the Kentucky Department of Corrections.  Unfortunately we are starting to have cracks in the frames in the guns starting around the 60,000 round count.  

We use 165 gr bullets and Glock informed us that the 165 gr bullets will wear out the weapon sooner than the 180 grain bullets.   They stated that is why the frames are cracking.  

Our training instructor/Armorer that called Glock is a Glock fan boy and even he raised his eyebrows at Glock's responses.  

He told them then before we switched to Glocks we had revolvers and smith & wesson third generation 9mms and never had any cracking of the frames in them.  And the Smith 9mms had over 100,000 rounds through them and the revolvers at least as much if not more since some dated from the early 1950s.  We used +P 38s in them the last 20 years and many of the old revolvers were not rated for that but held up fine.  

They hemmed and hawed at that.  

We switched to the Glocks in 2015.  

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have had the guns since 2015 and have 60,000 rounds through them, how often do you guys qualify and how many rounds per qualification? That number seems excessive for any department. If you’ve put 60,000 rounds through a pistol, that in itself is a testament to the pistols reliability and durability.

Maybe you meant 60,000 total for the entire Ky DOC. That would sound more reasonable. If 60,000 through one pistol, that comes up to around 8571 rounds a year.
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JMD:
We use Glock 23s in the Kentucky Department of Corrections.  Unfortunately we are starting to have cracks in the frames in the guns starting around the 60,000 round count.  

We use 165 gr bullets and Glock informed us that the 165 gr bullets will wear out the weapon sooner than the 180 grain bullets.   They stated that is why the frames are cracking.  

Our training instructor/Armorer that called Glock is a Glock fan boy and even he raised his eyebrows at Glock's responses.  

He told them then before we switched to Glocks we had revolvers and smith & wesson third generation 9mms and never had any cracking of the frames in them.  And the Smith 9mms had over 100,000 rounds through them and the revolvers at least as much if not more since some dated from the early 1950s.  We used +P 38s in them the last 20 years and many of the old revolvers were not rated for that but held up fine.  

View Quote

Exactly what part of the frames are cracking? Do you happen to have a pic?
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By stjohn45:
If you have had the guns since 2015 and have 60,000 rounds through them, how often do you guys qualify and how many rounds per qualification? That number seems excessive for any department. If you’ve put 60,000 rounds through a pistol, that in itself is a testament to the pistols reliability and durability.

Maybe you meant 60,000 total for the entire Ky DOC. That would sound more reasonable. If 60,000 through one pistol, that comes up to around 8571 rounds a year.
View Quote

I agree.  60,000 rounds for DOC issue pistol over the course of seven years sounds exceedingly unlikely.  That's 23 rounds every day for 2,555 straight days.  If you mean 60,000 rounds across the entire issuance of the G23 then I would be curious as to the individual weapon round counts that are showing frame failures.  

I saw the rear right side frame rail come off a G21 ... after the SD Deputy managed to accidentally fire a 40SW round through it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Glock forties cracking frames, breaking locking blocks and pins is nothing new, well known issue.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

The Canik pistols are still running without issues. We didn't expect that to be honest.

V/R
Ron
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By everready73:
@hendersondefense

Any info on the Caniks?  Thanks for all the awesome feedback

The Canik pistols are still running without issues. We didn't expect that to be honest.

V/R
Ron

How are the Caniks still holding up?
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Beamy:

How are the Caniks still holding up?
View Quote

Other than one breaking a spring, they are still running. The staff ordered the spring and put the other one back on the line. We got these back when they were relatively new to the market and I honestly didn't think they would last.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:32:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
Are these the polymer striker Caniks, or the CZ75 copies?  Thanks!
View Quote

These are the polymer striker-fired Caniks.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#13]
We haven’t used any Gen 5’s on the range. I will update with some pics tomorrow.
View Quote

@HendersonDefense

Curious if you’re running any Gen 5 Glocks yet.

Link Posted: 1/27/2023 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#14]
With the debates floating around this forum currently in regard to the P365/365XL long term reliability, any reports on how they're holding up?
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DocApocalypse:
I sort of half-assed re-read this thread and didn't see it addressed.  I also suspect that (understandably) maybe the guns aren't looked at in this level of detail.  A gunsmith and I got into an argument over this a couple of weeks ago, so here goes:  Has anyone noticed whether MIM parts tend to fail more than machined ones?  (I'm guessing most MIM parts are easily spotted by the knockout pin marks on them).

View Quote

If there was a real issue with MIM automakers would not use MIM. MIM stuff is all over in a lot of engines and has been for years
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Are there any 2011s that even approach modern striker-fired handguns for long term durability?
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey just want to say I greatly appreciate your threads.  Because of these threads I knew about you guys in Las Vegas and when I went there with my fiance I stopped by to do some shooting.

Everyone was friendly and helpful.  I loved seeing the various patches people had on their outfits.  Getting picked up in a hummer on the main strip was certainly impressive.

I shot many firearms but my favorite was the Maxim gun because of its history.  The Lewis gun and minigun were awesome too.

Thanks!

Oh, and a question.  Do gen 5 glocks hold up any better?  I'd love to see a PSA dagger failure comparison but I doubt anyone would want to rent one .
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 12:44:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:
Are there any 2011s that even approach modern striker-fired handguns for long term durability?
View Quote

We finally brought a 2011 over from our retail store and we are going to offer it a "high-end" shooters package with guns from the latest video game releases. I can't remember which game but my staff know all the cool guns that people ask for and this is one of them. I will keep you guys posted.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 12:46:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By madcap3k:
Hey just want to say I greatly appreciate your threads.  Because of these threads I knew about you guys in Las Vegas and when I went there with my fiance I stopped by to do some shooting.

Everyone was friendly and helpful.  I loved seeing the various patches people had on their outfits.  Getting picked up in a hummer on the main strip was certainly impressive.

I shot many firearms but my favorite was the Maxim gun because of its history.  The Lewis gun and minigun were awesome too.

Thanks!

Oh, and a question.  Do gen 5 glocks hold up any better?  I'd love to see a PSA dagger failure comparison but I doubt anyone would want to rent one .
View Quote

Thank you and I will find out about the Gen 5 Glocks. My oldest son is going to send over some the really nice PSA Dagger's so we can throw them on the line. I'll keep you posted on those as well.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:09:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eleazer] [#20]

Thank you and I will find out about the Gen 5 Glocks. My oldest son is going to send over some the really nice PSA Dagger's so we can throw them on the line. I'll keep you posted on those as well.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

I am looking forward to see how the daggers hold up after they addressed some issues after they first launched.  If I ever get to Vegas I would love to stop in.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By travisty250:

I am looking forward to see how the daggers hold up after they addressed some issues after they first launched.  If I ever get to Vegas I would love to stop in.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By travisty250:

V/R
Ron

Me too. But haven’t followed the dagger drama. What issues?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#22]

We finally brought a 2011 over from our retail store and we are going to offer it a "high-end" shooters package with guns from the latest video game releases. I can't remember which game but my staff know all the cool guns that people ask for and this is one of them. I will keep you guys posted.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts:

V/R
Ron

You should do a John Wicke Package
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By boolzi:

View Quote

Pins walking, scraggy bores mostly.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's a M17 that I found in the broken weapons cart last week. I still have to say the most reliable handgun we have is the Glock.

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgur.com/Nz2Nh3v.jpg?1
View Quote

@HendersonDefense

How are the Sig P320 FCUs holding up as far as wear and tear on slide rails and in general?
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By boolzi:

View Quote

Trigger pins walking, mags dropping. Some strikers breaking with hard use.

IMO, they were teething pains, they have had the bugs worked out. They are a pretty refined pistol now, I own 5. I want a micro when they finally have been out awhile, and a G34 size if they ever offer one.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By colklink:

Trigger pins walking, mags dropping. Some strikers breaking with hard use.

IMO, they were teething pains, they have had the bugs worked out. They are a pretty refined pistol now, I own 5. I want a micro when they finally have been out awhile, and a G34 size if they ever offer one.
View Quote

Five?   That's ridiculous.

Actually, I have 5 too. Cut one down to G26 length for shits and giggles. I need the micro.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 6:31:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Ohio:

Five?   That's ridiculous.

Actually, I have 5 too. Cut one down to G26 length for shits and giggles. I need the micro.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By JMD:

View Quote

Hey JMD, why would a lower grain bullet wear out the weapon faster than a higher grain weight? I thought lower bullet weight meant less pressure, less slamming of the slide back, etc...

This is something Ron and team. It's like a snapshot of history to read in a couple sittings from the early days in 2015 until now 2023. I hope you all ares still enjoying it and wish the best for your awesome team you've got there.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#29]

V/R
Ron
View Quote

@HendersonDefense

Any word on how the Daggers are holding up?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:06:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ken_mays] [#30]
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 2:52:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Any updates on the Sig P320? Would be interested in approximate round counts.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:

If there was a real issue with MIM automakers would not use MIM. MIM stuff is all over in a lot of engines and has been for years
View Quote

Connecting rods in the ford 460 hp gt are powdered metal I believe. Haven't heard of them being a failure point.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AmericanWolfman:
Any updates on the Sig P320? Would be interested in approximate round counts.
View Quote

@HendersonDefense
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:54:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Any information on how the gen 5 glocks compare to the previous  generations in terms of longevity and durability after high round counts? I’ve read through this whole thread and find it all very fascinating.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 3:24:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By devildog93:

Connecting rods in the ford 460 hp gt are powdered metal I believe. Haven't heard of them being a failure point.
View All Quotes

Exactly!

MIM isn't a problem.

The problem has been that several gun makers (looking at you, US branded mid-tier 1911 makers) have sourced their MIM parts from China, with the usual bad results.

People then blame MIM.
Instead of admitting that it is US assembled,  with lowest bidder chinesium content.

Link Posted: 8/22/2023 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Bullet_:
Exactly!

MIM isn't a problem.

The problem has been that several gun makers (looking at you, US branded mid-tier 1911 makers) have sourced their MIM parts from China, with the usual bad results.

People then blame MIM.
Instead of admitting that it is US assembled,  with lowest bidder chinesium content.

View All Quotes

Exactly!

MIM isn't a problem.

People then blame MIM.

I didn't know this about those US 1911 makers getting parts from China. I'm displeased.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Exactly!

MIM isn't a problem.

People then blame MIM.

View Quote

Which manufacturers?
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 10:43:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bullet_] [#38]
Their name rhymes with Mimber.

And they were doing it with the early Series 2 at least.
Which is how MIM got it's bad wrap.

Head on over to 1911forum, or 1911addicts for the details.
Link Posted: 9/19/2023 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Awesome thread as usual

Ron- how are those HK USPs holding up?

How about a IWI Galil ACE?

Springfield Hellion / VHS?

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:08:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/20/2023 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 6:47:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JButlerHickok] [#42]
Exactly!

MIM isn't a problem.

People then blame MIM.
View Quote

Most folks have no idea how many MIM parts are in their vehicles, motorcycles and guns. My experience with MIM failures are motorcycles and cars/trucks. That experience is limited considering the number of parts on a vehicle. When a MIM fails it really fails like totally and faster than a blink.
When I worked in a large LGS we sold most brands of 1911's. What irritated me was Ximber's MIM parts. They could at least grind the mold lines off for the money they want. Most buyers of that brand are blinded by the bling so they don't notice those obvious mold lines.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Pair_of_ACES:
Awesome thread as usual

Ron- how are those HK USPs holding up?

How about a IWI Galil ACE?

Springfield Hellion / VHS?

View Quote

The HK USP's have suffered the same broken spring between the three different units we have on the range. I will find out which spring in particular it is.

We do have a Galil ACE on the line but it doesn't get much use. I have to come up with some new packages so it gets used more often.

The Hellion is on the line about 2-3x a week. Not a big rental gun, just a impulse "purchase" because it's directly behind the cashiers on the wall. It's still semi-auto as we haven't had much free time lately.

V/R
Ron M Cheney
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#44]
@HendersonDefense you had mentioned awhile back about putting PSA Daggers on the line, curious as to how they have held up?
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:  The HK USP's have suffered the same broken spring between the three different units we have on the range. I will find out which spring in particular it is.

We do have a Galil ACE on the line but it doesn't get much use. I have to come up with some new packages so it gets used more often.

The Hellion is on the line about 2-3x a week. Not a big rental gun, just a impulse "purchase" because it's directly behind the cashiers on the wall. It's still semi-auto as we haven't had much free time lately.

V/R
Ron M Cheney
View Quote

Thanks for posting all this info in your various threads, OP.  A real world testing center funded by punters.  I'm surprised you don't get all the R&D for the industry.

Have you considered expanding to Guam?  You have a lot of competitors for the Japanese tourist market there.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#46]
I’m a dumb Glock nerd and I really want to known if there is any measurable reliability differences between Gen 4 and Gen 5 glocks. Any info on that by chance?
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 6:05:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#47]
@Hendersondefense how are the Sig P320s and M17s holding up?

I saw you posted a picture of an M17 that needed a sear spring replaced.  What type of issues with what kind of round counts are you experiencing with the P320/M17s?  How do they hold up compared to the Glocks and TP9s per round count?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 12:59:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Still would love an update on round count and how the M-17/ P-320's are holding up.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Bumping the thread into the new year.

I too am curious on Gen 5 Glocks, Daggers, and the P320/M17 performance.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 10:18:54 PM EDT
[#50]

The HK USP's have suffered the same broken spring between the three different units we have on the range. I will find out which spring in particular it is.

V/R
Ron M Cheney
View Quote

How are the P320s and P365s holding up, since they are national best sellers, they must be getting the snot shot out of them at the rental counter.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top