Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you guys used any Steyr pistols on the range and if so how did they do?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Going back to the Glock RSA replacement interval, it's 3k rounds for single coil springs and 5k rounds for the dual coil. They also slightly bumped up the spring strength of the 9mm/.40 guns a few years ago, so that might help some with slides getting beat up
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:46:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mcantu:
Going back to the Glock RSA replacement..... They also slightly bumped up the spring strength of the 9mm/.40 guns a few years ago....
View Quote

What lb weight was the old, new?  All models?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you had any Glock failures at the frame?
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Any updates?

I'm curious about the P320s and H&Ks on the line.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BMad316:
Have you had any Glock failures at the frame?
View Quote

It always seems like its the slides...

Which is damn ironic when you consider when GLOCKS first came out everyone was like "that plastic shit wont last".
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By deanwormer:

It always seems like its the slides...

Which is damn ironic when you consider when GLOCKS first came out everyone was like "that plastic shit wont last".
View Quote

good take

that was my worry when I got my gen 1 glock 17s

wish I never sold them

Link Posted: 9/13/2021 3:47:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Kwisak:
View Quote

Also interested in this
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 6:09:51 AM EDT
[#9]
How are the P320s holding up? Any particular maintenance tips on intervals for springs?
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
What a dick!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By samuse:

Yeah no.   The top title would hands-down go to H&K when durability and reliability are concerned.  Just not as popular....
View Quote

Replacing the O-ring is additional maintenance a rental place probably doesn’t want to take on.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

I really hate being like this but I don't put them on the range. You can call it pride or ego issue but I hate having to purchase something from a company that I feel looks down upon regular (non-LEO) sales. The company's attitude, in MY opinion, almost feels that the American shooter is a pain in the ass and "reluctantly" sells them to us. That's MY opinion after years and years of being a buyer (bought my first HK91 in 1987).

When I was running our retail gun store we could never get spare parts and all the LEO that would stop by said the same thing. Granted, we have approximately 20+ MP5's at the range but a majority of those are US-made copies and they continue to run nearly three years later.

We do have some of the Paki and Turkish MP5 semi-auto pistol clones and they also run fine.

I will eventually have to purchase some but like I said, it's just my ego/pride that feels if you're too good for the US market.. then you must to be good for our store

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:It's amusing when people say the internet is not a reference...on the internet.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2021 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Coyote17:
Springfield Hellcat on your radar yet? Walther PPQ M2 Navy 9mm? Thank you for your service to this forum
View Quote

Springfield Hellcat or Walther PPQ M2 Navy 9mm used in the movies or video games yet!?Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Schroedum:

Also interested in this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Schroedum:
Originally Posted By Kwisak:

Also interested in this

While I own and like my Steyr and CZ pistols, Ron has said repeatedly:  

- they only put guns on the line which they are sure customers want to rent the most.

- customers rent the guns they see in video games.  Or maybe movies.

Sadly for us:  most rental customers have never heard of a Steyr or a CZ.  

But maybe that’s changed?  It’s entirely their call.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 12:29:31 AM EDT
[#16]
After reading these threads, I went to Battlefield Vegas a couple of years ago.
When hearing of my plans, a half dozen of my friends who I met in Vegas for vacation, decided to try it too.
Half had never shot a gun before.
Their experience was very positive, as was mine. We were picked up and returned to our hotel in a Hummer and all of the employees we interacted with were friendly, positive and professional
I got to compare a few submachine guns. IMHO the Sterling (integrally suppressed) is a better gun than the MP5SD.

We were planning another trip next week, but a medical issue with my wife cancelled my plans.
I just wanted to post to let everyone know Battlefield Vegas is a class act, and I highly recommend the experience for trying guns that are somewhat rare. Their selection has a broad variety.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 12:25:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

But maybe that’s changed?  It’s entirely their call.
View Quote

We still haven't put any of them on the line because of the video games and movies.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 12:32:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's a M17 that I found in the broken weapons cart last week. I still have to say the most reliable handgun we have is the Glock.

V/R
Ron

Link Posted: 11/16/2021 3:24:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I still have to say the most reliable handgun we have is the Glock.
View Quote

No wait, actually not surprising at all
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 4:49:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's a M17 that I found in the broken weapons cart last week. I still have to say the most reliable handgun we have is the Glock.

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgur.com/Nz2Nh3v.jpg?1
View Quote

That's gonna hurt some feelings.  Thanks Ron for the info.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 7:37:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Henny] [#21]
Fuck!

I just found this thread!  I love these HD threads. I guess I’ll have some reading to do to catch up!

EDIT: Imagine my shock as I’m rereading this thread and noticed I posted in it nearly 3 years ago!  
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#22]
From the last cleaning until taken off the line because a RSO noticed the slide had a crack.. it had a second crack. I took a pic of the model/gen because I've received inquiries and always forget to follow up.

V/R
Ron

Link Posted: 11/16/2021 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#23]

V/R
Ron

View Quote

Interesting. Sear spring failure?

Any other broken ones?
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 12:51:57 AM EDT
[#24]
From the last cleaning until taken off the line because a RSO noticed the slide had a crack.. it had a second crack. I took a pic of the model/gen because I've received inquiries and always forget to follow up.

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgur.com/n0UTVbH.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/iSQYkDl.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/GUD3fg2.jpg?1

View Quote

Question  for the G men:

What's causing the slide to flex and crack there?

After the usual break around the recoil spring hole, I would have bet money on the ejection port area.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#25]

V/R
Ron

View Quote

Gen4 17 any idea as to the round count?
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 8:07:24 PM EDT
[#26]
In keeping with the video game connection, I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about the HK Mark 23?  Do you have one?  I have to believe that it would really last a long time with normal range ammo.  Thanks for all the info!
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 2:33:21 AM EDT
[#27]

V/R
Ron

View Quote

So, after reading through all of this thread for the umpteenth time, and now seeing these pics(supporting my hypothesis), I have to ask... Do, or did, you notice that a lot of the premature slide failures were all on USA made Glocks? I’m wondering if the folks down in GA haven’t mastered the art of heat treatment yet
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 5:17:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#28]
Originally Posted By jpwp1111:

So, after reading through all of this thread for the umpteenth time, and now seeing these pics(supporting my hypothesis), I have to ask... Do, or did, you notice that a lot of the premature slide failures were all on USA made Glocks? I’m wondering if the folks down in GA haven’t mastered the art of heat treatment yet
View Quote

Glock has never been a traditional handgun design.  I am not a metallurgist, but:

- Glock did not invent salt-bath nitriding, but Glock pioneered it’s use for handgun mass production, under its trademarked name: “Tennifer.”

- Tennifer/ nitriding happens at fairly low temps - often 1,100 degrees. Warping is generally not an issue at such low temps.

- Glock also figured out he could use a much cheaper, easier to machine, grade of steel (and save tons of $$$) if he simply salt-bath nitrided it.

- the result is Glock slides are a bit like an M&M candy: hard on the outside but relatively soft steel inside.

- Europe uses different names for their steel.  But whatever steel they are using, I am not convinced it goes through a separate heat treat after machining.  Just the nitriding.

So I do not believe it is a heat treating difference.  Rather, probably a grade of steel issue, that may make the slide prone to cracking.

but remember this is only at very high round counts, not at all typical of the average police officers use of his Glock.

Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:48:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jpwp1111] [#29]

Glock has never been a traditional handgun design.  I am not a metallurgist, but:

- Glock did not invent salt-bath nitriding, but Glock pioneered it’s use for handgun mass production, under its trademarked name: “Tennifer.”

- Tennifer/ nitriding happens at fairly low temps - often 1,100 degrees. Warping is generally not an issue at such low temps.

- Glock also figured out he could use a much cheaper, easier to machine, grade of steel (and save tons of $$$) if he simply salt-bath nitrided it.

- the result is Glock slides are a bit like an M&M candy: hard on the outside but relatively soft steel inside.

- Europe uses different names for their steel.  But whatever steel they are using, I am not convinced it goes through a separate heat treat after machining.  Just the nitriding.

So I do not believe it is a heat treating difference.  Rather, probably a grade of steel issue, that may make the slide prone to cracking.

but remember this is only at very high round counts, not at all typical of the average police officers use of his Glock.

View Quote

AFAIK Glock ships the steel to GA so that all the steel for the barrels and slides are “exactly” the same. I imagine that it has something to do with the process and not the material. Unless, of course, these failures are happening on Austrian Glocks as well as USA Glocks. I appreciate your info, though, that’s interesting
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Earlier in this thread he'd shown Austrian slides cracking too in certain areas. I suspect it's more the high round count than whether it was US or Austrian. As I understand it, US made Glocks are exactly to the same spec in every way to the Austrian ones.  In some of the G19 Special Forces threads here you can see US-made Glocks being used downrange.

On another note, @HendersonDefense , do you have any .45 caliber Glocks in use (specifically interested in the Glock 21), and how do they hold up?
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#31]
High round count and not changing the recoil spring assembly.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#32]
https://www.tactical-life.com/news/the-ultimate-glock-21-torture-test/
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By ALPHAGHOST:
https://www.tactical-life.com/news/the-ultimate-glock-21-torture-test/
View Quote

I want to say a member here did this G21 test. However, I can’t remember their screen name.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:00:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CodDawkins] [#34]
Originally Posted By Henny:

I want to say a member here did this G21 test. However, I can't remember their screen name.
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Glock_Test___condensed_into_initial_post/4-13658/
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By timccart:

I want to say a member here did this G21 test. However, I can't remember their screen name.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Glock_Test___condensed_into_initial_post/4-13658/

Thanks for the backup!

I still can’t remember his screen name!
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Thanks for the backup!

View Quote

Thought it was bigbore
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By gunnut284:

Thought it was bigbore
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gunnut284:

Thanks for the backup!

Thought it was bigbore

I believe you are right!

@Bigbore ,this is / was you, right?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 10:13:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By bigbore:

Yup, I still take that 21 out a couple times a year.
View All Quotes

I believe you are right!

I have several G21s. After reading your torture test, I felt pretty good about my purchase.

I used my 21SF in extensive testing for my department’s holster and WML testing. It got the snot pounded out of it, with no problems encountered. For a little over 2 years it was getting between 800-1200 rounds through it a month. It’s a great pistol!  Sadly, I haven’t had any of them out in a while. G19s, 48s and, 43Xs are usually out with me on the backyard range and it kind puts the 21s in the category of stashed and ready to go in various places in the house status.

I think that just typing that out has given me the motivation to get one of them out tomorrow!
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Drove by BV on Monday and stared longingly, as I didn’t have time to stop. Quick trip to CA for work and back home again. Hope to have a chance to visit later this year.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:48:14 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

I believe you are right!

I've purchased 2 21s because of your damn thread.  I don't even like Glocks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#42]
What about mags? Specifically Glock mag maintenance? When do the followers / springs / or body wear out usually?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#43]
@HendersonDefense
What is the most reliable .45 you have? Glock21? USP?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:35:06 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Back in the 90's I remember reading that Glock uses some of the best steel they could find, sourced from France. I have no idea if this is true and even if it was true then, it could have changed 100 times since.

I have also heard and seen threads of Glocks breaking at the striker pin hole on the breach-face from "too much" dry firing. And heat treating was also discussed. I have also heard about extractors chipping due to excessive heat treat. So heat treatment is crucial and sometimes gets too much or not enough.

As for the G17 Gen4 in the Henderson photo's, I'm also curious why they cracked there. I assume that when the shot is fired and the slide/barrel starts it's rearward movement, the angled cam on the bottom of the barrel hits the locking block in the frame, unlocking the action but causing the rear of the slide to "bounce" off the rear frame rail. After many thousands of such impacts, things give.

I am very curious if there is a difference metallurgically between the cracked slides and the un-cracked slides, OR (most likely) its a question of round count.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 2:49:43 AM EDT
[#45]

V/R
Ron

View Quote

How's the firearm control unit holding up for the M17s/P320?
A pistol's frame eventually cracks because of the stress points, but the P320 being modular does it really have stress points? The slide rails are build intot he firearm control unit, but do they wear down to thin metal, or not really? And as far as cracking a receiver, does the firearm control unit crack or the grip module in this case, leaving the firearm control unit as the first pistol receiver to have an indefinitely lifespan for the first time ever?
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Gun01:

How's the firearm control unit holding up for the M17s/P320?
A pistol's frame eventually cracks because of the stress points, but the P320 being modular does it really have stress points? The slide rails are build intot he firearm control unit, but do they wear down to thin metal, or not really? And as far as cracking a receiver, does the firearm control unit crack or the grip module in this case, leaving the firearm control unit as the first pistol receiver to have an indefinitely lifespan for the first time ever?
View Quote

On poly pistols with steel frame tabs it is usually the frame rails that break, not the plastic frame itself.

There are a couple pistols out there that have a serialized plastic frame with the rails pinned into them, so every wear part on the gun is replaceable.

The downside is that the gun isn't scalable like the P320, but a theoretically indefinite lifespan is the tradeoff.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

On poly pistols with steel frame tabs it is usually the frame rails that break, not the plastic frame itself.

There are a couple pistols out there that have a serialized plastic frame with the rails pinned into them, so every wear part on the gun is replaceable.

The downside is that the gun isn't scalable like the P320, but a theoretically indefinite lifespan is the tradeoff.
View Quote

Are these the S&W M&Ps? I took a look at these and it appears that unfortunately the dust cover tends to crack, which is part of the frame. Otherwise, yeah, the frame rails are just pinned.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Gun01:

Are these the S&W M&Ps? I took a look at these and it appears that unfortunately the dust cover tends to crack, which is part of the frame. Otherwise, yeah, the frame rails are just pinned.
View Quote

The FNX/FNPs are that way, I think the Steyr M pistols are; not sure about M&Ps
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Brief update:

- The USP pistols continue to function without issues.

- We finally have one Sig P226 that the receiver cracked and won't be warrantied. I am not upset at all because the pistol has been on almost four years and MORE than served it's purpose.

- We have a total of nine Glocks that currently need to go back to the factory for either cracked slides or cracked frames.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

The Glocks with the cracked frames, what part of the frame exactly is cracking?
Also, the Sig P226 that Sig doesn't want to cover under warranty, where did the frame crack?
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Just found this in my office vault (we have two vaults on property) while looking for some CZ Scorpion magazines. This is about average for the number of handguns down at any given time.

http://i.imgur.com/tcPgifn.jpg
View Quote

I just noticed this about the broken 1911's.  I realize this is an old post but it led to some purse-swinging about 1911's in general.  All of the broken 1911's in the bin appear to be one particular model from Springfield Armory.  To my mind that's more significant than generalizing about the 1911's durability.  It could be that particular make and model has (had) some issues, not that the 1911in and of itself  is necessarily prone to failure.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top