Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2022 2:15:06 PM EDT
What is involved in converting a 40 to a 9? I found a real good deal on a Practical but it’s in 40, I’ve always wanted another Practical since I sold mine years ago, I just don’t want any High Power in a 40. The deal is good enough to let me spend what it takes to convert and still be in it for less than I see them going for.
Link Posted: 12/29/2022 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe all you have to do is get a barrel that converts it from 40 to 9 and you should be good to go
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dog1:
I believe all you have to do is get a barrel that converts it from 40 to 9 and you should be good to go
View Quote
Do believe you will need new 9mm mags as well.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By LastRites:
View Quote

Well yes that too LOL
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LastRites:
View Quote

I figured that, I was just making sure that a barrel swap would be the extent of my modifications.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 6:34:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#5]
The whole top end needs swapped. Slide, barrel, recoil spring, magazine. The base rim sizes are different on the two different cartridges. Any caliber conversion kit requires this. The only way to get around any caliber conversion that doesn’t require a slide changeout is if the parent cartridge has the same base dimensions as the original slide. Examples are a .40 Action Express uses a 9mm slide, a .357 Sig uses a 10mm or in some cases a 40S&W slide. That is the only way to get away with a barrel, spring and magazine only swap in most pistols.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By wmagrush:
The whole top end needs swapped. Slide, barrel, recoil spring, magazine. The base rim sizes are different on the two different cartridges. Any caliber conversion kit requires this. The only way to get around any caliber conversion that doesn’t require a slide changeout is if the parent cartridge has the same base dimensions as the original slide. Examples are a .40 Action Express uses a 9mm slide, a .357 Sig uses a 10mm or in some cases a 40S&W slide. That is the only way to get away with a barrel, spring and magazine only swap in most pistols.
View Quote

Nope...

https://barsto.com/product/9mm-conversion-browning-hi-power/

All that says is 9 mm magazine and a 9 mm recoil spring. Along with their barrel
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Going with this information.

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/whats-required-to-swap-40s-w-bhp-to-shoot-9mm-temporarily.1040939/
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By wmagrush:
Examples are a .40 Action Express uses a 9mm slide, a .357 Sig uses a 10mm or in some cases a 40S&W slide. That is the only way to get away with a barrel, spring and magazine only swap in most pistols.
View Quote

Ahhhh, that .41AE was so peppy!

Those 170gr JHP's sure did make a mess out of ground squirrels in SW Arizona .
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#10]
The Hi-Power in .40 is actually fun to shoot.  Its the only .40 I have left.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By tenchu_74:
View Quote

I had a Hi Power 40 way back in the day, I divested all of my 40 stuff years ago, I do t disagree but I just do t Wa t to get into 40 again.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 11:10:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MHz] [#12]
Bar-Sto is the answer.

Link Posted: 3/22/2023 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By tenchu_74:
View Quote

THIS
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#14]
If nothing else, get a Charles Daly stripped slide from Numrich($95.). Then add all the parts. You
might be able to get a barrel on sale from RemSport. 40 will probably work from a 9mm mag, but 9mm will not work from a 40 mag.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:02:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mstennes:

I had a Hi Power 40 way back in the day, I divested all of my 40 stuff years ago, I do t disagree but I just do t Wa t to get into 40 again.
View Quote

Carried a BHP 40 as a uniformed LE duty sidearm for a couple years.  I did notice that the frame was thicker in the grip area as BHP 9 Hogue wraparounds were (almost) impossible to get on and pulled up a bit around the edges once installed but it sounds like this didn't impact the interior dimensions of the frame for the magazine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top