Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2023 1:46:59 PM EDT
I picked this up quite a while ago.  I've shot it just a handful of times otherwise it's been riding the safe.  I'm thinning down my collection but thought I'd show a few pics, and see if there's anything special before I get rid of it.  Serial numbers all match so it's not just a detective slide dropped on a different frame.  Looking it up, prices seem all over.  Any help (if I'm allowed to ask) is appreciated.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know anything about it but it sure is a looker.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Send me an email or PM if ya interested in selling her.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#3]
FM (Fabrique Militaire) Argentine Hi Power. Their full size was the first gun I ever bought back in the early 90's. Don't think they're worth much as they're not a Browning or FN.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#4]
An FM (Argentina) Detective for sure. I can't remember exact years of availability, but late 80's to sometime into the 90's they were scarcely on the market. Price was right around $300 if my memory is correct. Cylinder & Slide at one time offered a model called the "Pathfinder" which was a compact FN Hi-Power like the Detective. Novak's I believe made one for a gun rag article. A lot of work, and like the C&S pricey.

Since FN dropped the Hi-Power FM, FEG made clones have skyrocketed in price. And the seldom seen (not rare but scarce) FM Detective price has also risen dramatically in price. If you want top dollar Gunbroker is your largest audience of buyers. Outright price could easily fetch over $700 and I'm being more than generous.  

Customers would like Springfield Armory to make a compact (Pathfinder) SA-35 for their line up. Only the future will tell, but I doubt it. You'll have no trouble selling this pistol where ever you list it. It's just how much are you willing to accept for an out right sale? Nice piece and good luck on the sale!
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#5]
May try to get my hands on one of the Girsen MP35 PI to go with my alloy frame, would make a great combination.

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Wish they’d hurry up and get these out
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 10:57:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wagsfn:
An FM (Argentina) Detective for sure. I can't remember exact years of availability, but late 80's to sometime into the 90's they were scarcely on the market. Price was right around $300 if my memory is correct. Cylinder & Slide at one time offered a model called the "Pathfinder" which was a compact FN Hi-Power like the Detective. Novak's I believe made one for a gun rag article. A lot of work, and like the C&S pricey.

Since FN dropped the Hi-Power FM, FEG made clones have skyrocketed in price. And the seldom seen (not rare but scarce) FM Detective price has also risen dramatically in price. If you want top dollar Gunbroker is your largest audience of buyers. Outright price could easily fetch over $700 and I'm being more than generous.  

Customers would like Springfield Armory to make a compact (Pathfinder) SA-35 for their line up. Only the future will tell, but I doubt it. You'll have no trouble selling this pistol where ever you list it. It's just how much are you willing to accept for an out right sale? Nice piece and good luck on the sale!
View Quote

Sarco brought in quite a few and also sold the uppers pretty inexpensive for the time; I still kick myself for not buying one but I didn't have a Hi-Power at the time.
Link Posted: 1/13/2023 11:03:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BWood] [#8]
They are great pistols.  Picked mine up for $200.
I have the regular size FM

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#9]
A NIB FM Detective just went for $1200 on Gunporker.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll PM my FFL info. I'm all in for $300 lol

My grandfather had one. I wanted it, but he traded it in for something he could handle easier as he got older.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 12:58:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut284] [#11]
IIRC they were around $400 20 yrs ago. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were $600-800 (maybe even more) now to the right buyer. The Detective size seems to be scarce and desirable. I have the regular sized M95 and it’s a nice gun.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:39:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Yours is an FM90.  They also made an FM95 which is closer to the FN/Browning MKIII with the ambi safety, white line sights and firing pin safety.  Based on serial numbers in photos yours appears to be a complete firearm and not a conversion.  Magazines on all were sub-standard compared to Browning, but the guns were good quality.  My personal experience has been that some FM guns are more accurate due to triggers.  

The ejectors in FM frames are wider and will not take an FN/Browning slide.  I don’t know if there is a fix for that.

As far as I can tell, the FM Detective is the only real success of creating a commander style Hi Power.  The trick is that the slide weight is the same as a full size because of the lack of a cut out and that is benefited by the fact they added a full length guide rod with a double recoil spring.  The other attempts at a compact HP like the C&S Pathfinder allegedly ate themselves up while Detectives are still running.  

I suspect that is the market driver for the Detective values.  I’ve seen them go for $450 up to $1,800 or more.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Good info, thank you.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 5:15:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice.  I've only seen one in my life, shot a box of ammo thru it.  It was a very nicely balanced and accurate gun.
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By LastRites:
May try to get my hands on one of the Girsen MP35 PI to go with my alloy frame, would make a great combination.
https://i.imgur.com/JLNrhwd.png
View Quote

Just ordered one from Buds gunshop they show them in-stock as of right now.

Anyone know what holster options are out there?
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 11:10:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Got mine last week. My LGS added the SFS, C&S wide trigger, removed the mag safety, and did some minor polishing where needed.

Really nice piece!!!

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Really like, except for the huge markings.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 4:59:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By LastRites:
https://i.imgur.com/JLNrhwd.png
View Quote

I wonder if they'd just sell the slide assembly.  I just picked up an alloy Hi Power for which it'd be perfect as an accessory.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I always found it odd Browning/FN never made this version.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#21]
If you’re going to unload the FM Detective do it now. I suspect the prices will drop tremendously on them since Girsan released their PI model. The 90 models seem to sell higher than the 95 models probably due to the 90s having better (smaller) roll-markings on the slide. I’d say around $750 is what you might expect to sell it for and get rid of it quickly. A couple years ago an upper slide assembly would sell for that or more but prices are coming down. Word has it that another well-known company is planning their own detective-sized hi-power.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#22]
If i'm not mistaken - EAA is/has released the PI (Private Eye) version - it was announced at SHOT this year - seen stuff on thier site, but don't believe i've seen anything yet on any of the gun sites
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:58:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piperpa24] [#23]
Originally Posted By Sir_Peter:
If i'm not mistaken - EAA is/has released the PI (Private Eye) version - it was announced at SHOT this year - seen stuff on thier site, but don't believe i've seen anything yet on any of the gun sites
View Quote
Sounded interesting and I found a pic of one of these - dayum ... I want one.  site: https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc-p35-pi/

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Yep…. Great gun too

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top