Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2021 12:33:59 PM EDT

Went to remove a rear sight set screw and the hex bit from my long beloved Dillon driver set snapped off in the set screw. The broken piece is stuck in there and flush with the top of the set screw.

DAMN!

OK, how to get it out? I am fully aware that this may result in destroying the rear sight (Truglo TFO).
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Magnets?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:09:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Post pics.  What size of bit?  There are options.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a small socket and place it over the screw. Tap the socket with a metal hammer.

If it isn't twisted in there, meaning stripped and stuck, it should come right out.

Lay it on it's side and work it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Bit size, I believe, is or rather was 1/16". The company who made these sets for Dillon did not mark sizes on the bits.

I have used that bit numerous time on various applications but mainly set screws. Any other size is too large.

Yes, the end of the bit did seem to twist into the set screw so it's very likely stuck that way.

One option is to shoot the gun and see if the vibration knocks it out. Guys at LGS (Ace hardware) sold me an Irwin #56 bit for use with with taps. It's .0456" or 1.18mm. The idea would be to drill it into the piece that's stuck in the set screw when use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to pull it out.

Hardware store does not sell an EZ-Out small enough for this problem.

As for using a socket I have no idea what size would even begin to fit. The 'trough' the set screw sits in is about 5/16" wide.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I have spent more time and effort on screw issues than I want to admit. I took my last one to a smith. They did it while I waited in less than 15 minutes for $33. Money well spent. No damage to my gun, and a new screw. They have the tools to do the job.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have spent more time and effort on screw issues than I want to admit. I took my last one to a smith. They did it while I waited in less than 15 minutes for $33. Money well spent. No damage to my gun, and a new screw. They have the tools to do the job.
View Quote

I think you may be right. I am going to try one fairly non-invasive thing and that's to punch it once with a spring-load punch. The kind you'd use to stake a castle nut. The jolt might be enough to knock it loose but beyond that I'm not doing any excavating.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#7]
You could try a left hand drill bit to get the whole set screw out. You could either then replace the screw or drill it out from the bottom and poke the bit out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#8]
spring loaded punch didn't do squat.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Tap it with a hammer. We have broken hex bits all the time. The idea is to shock the screw and not the broken bit.

Any thing would work that's big enough to touch the screw, but not the hex insert.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]
How about appying some heat?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Representative photo. As you can see that set screw is recessed AF

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Masking tape on a pair of NN pliers. Put those tips around the set screw. Tap the back of the pliers with the gun on its side. Hit it kinda hard if it doesn't pop out. If you do mar it, it'll be in that channel for one, and two, a sharpie will fix that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#13]
If the bit started to twist and strip in the socket I would try to rotate the tip back with a sharp punch and a mid sized brass hammer.  I would place the tip of the punch toward the outside of the broken bit but not on the edge.  No wild swings, a tap, check, carefully reset the punch in place.

Also padded vice under a drill press, don’t turn on the drill!  Just lower, apply pressure to the bit and hand turn the drill chuck,....by hand I say!

Done a few frozen set screws in chinesium replaceable lathe bit inserts.  The keys that come with the sets are small and nearly as soft as the set screws
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Also padded vice under a drill press, don’t turn on the drill!  Just lower, apply pressure to the bit and hand turn the drill chuck,....by hand I say!

Using a RH bit or a LH bit? Obviously we're now looking at removing the entire set screw not just removing the broken bit end.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:17:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Using a RH bit or a LH bit? Obviously we're now looking at removing the entire set screw not just removing the broken bit end.
View Quote

Honestly I had my best luck with a broken RH drill bit.......more surface grab.  Lh would work if you had one.  For all the tools I should have they are on the list with shim stock, zzzz plug gages for lathe set up.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Magnets?
View Quote

Yep. And a small punch to knock it loose first.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Someone gave me a link to this product:

https://www.harborfreight.com/screw-extractor-and-left-hand-drill-bit-combo-set-10-pc-61981.html

$9

Fellow arfcom member has a bench vise with soft jaws and a drill press. Will have to chill for a week or so, though, until we can possibly get it done.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I can tell you from experience is easier/cheaper to let a professional do it, before you bugger it up worse....
View Quote

I'm increasingly of the opinion that you are correct. Unfortunately gunsmiths...REAL gunsmiths...are few and far between in this part of the world and I'd probably be better off sending to someone as driving 150+ miles round trip.

Matt, is this a job ADCO would be able to do?

@GreenM4Guy
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 6:45:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Yesterday I received call from a local gunsmith who 'retired' from one of our LGS some years ago due to health issues. He is now doing limited work from his home which luckily happens to be 2 miles from my residence. Dropped off the slide last night should be ready in a couple of days.

He said he is going to attempt to remove the broken off bit without damaging the set screw as his primary goal.

Will update.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:07:36 AM EDT
[#23]
After 10 days of no communication and a phone message left a week later with no callback I went and retrieved the slide. I was hard pressed to see any evidence that this guy had made any attempt to work on it.

I will take the slide to Amick's Guns in Columbia the next time I'm in that area.

I have received several generous offers from fellow ARFCOM members to fix this issue free of charge but that would involve shipping it and I am concerned that the slide would be lost or stolen in transit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top