Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/17/2020 9:39:20 AM EDT
Hope this is the right place to ask. To start with, she 5’4 about 110lbs. Very small frame, small hands. Has a sig 226 in 380 that she shoots reasonably well. Trying to find a smallish 9mm she can shoot comfortably. Sig 365 and 43x both fit her about right. But both of them are too snappy for her to shoot comfortably/effectively. So looking for suggestions on similar size that may be a little heavier.  For comparison, she shoots a 19 and it’s plenty comfortable, but just too big a frame.  Thank for any help /suggestions
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Define small-ish 9mm. I would say at least try the M&P Shield EZ 9mm unless that’s too big. The recoil is extremely soft and muzzle flip is pretty nonexistent.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry maybe was unclear.  The sig 365 and the 43x are about the right fit size wise . She prefers the 43x of the 2 , for the overall feel in the hand
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, sorry just thought I’d throw that out there. The only pistols smaller than the Shield I have shot is the LCPII.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Take her to a range that has a ton of rentals. Usually you only pay for 1 handgun and you can swap it as many times as you would like no extra charge.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Avila33:
Take her to a range that has a ton of rentals. Usually you only pay for 1 handgun and you can swap it as many times as you would like no extra charge.
View Quote

Would have to drive about 2 hrs for that.  We live about 10 miles outside a town of 200. Will do it if needed, just trying Narrow down possibilities.  I think if the 43x weighed a little more it might be perfect.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hope this is the right place to ask. To start with, she 5’4 about 110lbs. Very small frame, small hands. Has a sig 226 in 380 that she shoots reasonably well. Trying to find a smallish 9mm she can shoot comfortably. Sig 365 and 43x both fit her about right. But both of them are too snappy for her to shoot comfortably/effectively. So looking for suggestions on similar size that may be a little heavier.  For comparison, she shoots a 19 and it’s plenty comfortable, but just too big a frame.  Thank for any help /suggestions
View Quote

Try a Walther CCP.

My wife loves hers. It has their recoil dampening system which doesn’t eliminate recoil but it does knock the edge off of it.

It’s going to be comparable in size to a S&W Shield but fits the hand better, feels like it has a lower barrel axis and recoils softer.

I liked the first one so much and hated to lose it to her, so I bought another.

You can also get the first gen models for cheap on gunbroker. So far as I know, the only difference in the gen 1 and 2 models is that field stripping is slightly different.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#7]
have she tried the 43x with a variety of loads... changing bullet weight may shift around the perception of the recoil/muzzle flip

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Try to find a 380 Taurus Wing.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:28:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By JamesTheScot:

Try a Walther CCP.

My wife loves hers. It has their recoil dampening system which doesn’t eliminate recoil but it does knock the edge off of it.

It’s going to be comparable in size to a S&W Shield but fits the hand better, feels like it has a lower barrel axis and recoils softer.

I liked the first one so much and hated to lose it to her, so I bought another.

You can also get the first gen models for cheap on gunbroker. So far as I know, the only difference in the gen 1 and 2 models is that field stripping is slightly different.
View Quote

Will check it out thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By lasnyder:
have she tried the 43x with a variety of loads... changing bullet weight may shift around the perception of the recoil/muzzle flip
View Quote

Haven’t gone that far. Just shooting the ammo we’ve got here.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't blame her, the 43x is a snappy bastard. What issues does she have with the 19 frame? Is it the length or width?
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Width. Just a little too much for her .  Aside from that , she’d have to keep it in her purse, which she doesn’t alway carry.  Trying to hide a 19 on her would be equivalent of grown man appendix carry with pistol grip shotgun . Just doesn’t hide real well
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Try a g42 or .38 with wadcutters
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#14]
my experience with Texas weather was 6 weeks in San Antonio, and 9 months in San Angelo in the 70s, but if she wears any kind of cargo shorts, I carry a G43 (previously a G42) in a Recluse two sided cargo holster most of the time here in Florida... I know it is much slower than IWB which I use  with a nylon fishing shirt as cover up in cooler weather... the cargo carry does allow access when you are seated and in an auto... and the construction of the Recluse is designed to prevent any type of printing through the carry garment
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By lasnyder:
my experience with Texas weather was 6 weeks in San Antonio, and 9 months in San Angelo in the 70s, but if she wears any kind of cargo shorts, I carry a G43 (previously a G42) in a Recluse two sided cargo holster most of the time here in Florida... I know it is much slower than IWB which I use  with a nylon fishing shirt as cover up in cooler weather... the cargo carry does allow access when you are seated and in an auto... and the construction of the Recluse is designed to prevent any type of printing through the carry garment
View Quote

Will check it out. Thank you.

Also had no idea Glock made a 380.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#16]
yes... the G42 (in .380) came out first, and is very easy to shoot well, and very little recoil... IIRC my G42 went a little over 960fps with a 90 grain XTP Hornady Critical Defense
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#17]
If she can't find a smallish 9mm *she likes to shoot*, then consider a .380 (better a .380 she practices and is confident with than a 9mm she won't practice with and has little/no confidence in).
I couldn't find a 9mm my wife liked (5'2" 140) so she ended up w/a Sig P238; very small, good trigger and recoil light enough she likes to practice with it. I recently discovered the very similar SA 911 .380 and it's now my 'with me 24/7' gun.

Tomac
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:04:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Get her a G42 and some XTP's. My wife has 2. They are excellent little guns.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 2:41:46 AM EDT
[#19]
She has a couple of sig 380s . She likes them, and shoots them pretty well. Really just trying to find her something that has a little more punch, that she shoots just as well/comfortably.  Gonna try one of the above mentioned walthers next week sometime.  Thanks for all the replies
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Interesting this is brought up.  My daughter is 4'11" and small handed.  She's been shooting my G43 and my wife's Shield but they were both just a little too much recoil for her.  Just this past week one of the guys at our range was selling a G42 and I picked it up.  My daughter and I went out just yesterday afternoon and she loves the G42.  I let her shoot the 42 and 43 side by side to compare them and she said there was considerable difference in the recoil.  Once we practice with it a little more it will be her new apartment/carry gun.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#21]
SP101 with 38 Spl or a G42 are usually well tolerated by slight males or female shooters.  My daughters usually prefer the SP to our Ruger bearcat when at the range.  Firearm weight can be your friend here.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Walther ppsm2 is a bit larger than G43.  Like others have mentioned, best to go out and rent.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#23]
When my wife was looking for a CCW she picked out a Kahr P9.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Take her to a range that has a ton of rentals. Usually you only pay for 1 handgun and you can swap it as many times as you would like no extra charge.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sorry maybe was unclear.  The sig 365 and the 43x are about the right fit size wise . She prefers the 43x of the 2 , for the overall feel in the hand
View Quote

She answered the question right there possibly.  Get her what she wants not what you or me or anyone on the internet wants.  You also mentioned you could drive 2 hours and try different options.  To me the 2 hour drive is far beyond worth it no about of the internet telling what is best for her is going to yield the right answer.

Let her try a bunch of options.  Start with pistols she likes the feel and can operate the control while able to function the pistol by hand.  If she has difficulty with a certain one set it to the side as a no or maybe.  

The biggest mistake I have and just about every other man has done at one time in the past is making this choice for a lady we are married, dating, or are just good friends with.  It can be a pocket book costly mistake most times or could cost her life if she cannot operate the pistol under stress in a life or death situation.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#26]
My wife has small hands and a short trigger finger.
She loves her s&w shield ez without thumb safety.
It's so ez to work the slide, i can rack it with 2 fingers.
That's the most common problem for women and older folks
I have not tried the new 9mm.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 3:08:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Find a range that has a big variety of rental guns.  It'll save you lots of time and money.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for all the suggestions so far
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 7:15:01 AM EDT
[#29]
I only have experience with one female and guns, my wife.

She "took" my XD 3.8" 9MM  because she shot it better than other guns I had.

Then she shot a CZ75 Compact and wanted it because it shot better than the XD.

Then I got a CZ75 Compact that she shot better than hers, so I let her have my new Compact.

Then she wanted a red dot on it, so I had it milled for a DP Pro with back up iron sights.

Then she decided it was too heavy to carry all the time, so I bought here a PC Shield in 9MM.

She is not shooting the Shield as well as she shot the CZ75 Compact and I think the Shield has more "bark" and recoil than the CZ75 Compact, but it's what she wants to carry and I'm tired of buying a new pistol every little bit knowing she'll want something else in a year or so (that she really doesn't want).

Best advice I can give anyone is to be sure you let her try different guns within the size/style she wants/likes and go into with an understanding that it's her choice and she'll live with it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:55:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Best advice I can give anyone is to be sure you let her try different guns within the size/style she wants/likes and go into with an understanding that it's her choice and she'll live with it.
View Quote

This part absolutely. We all got to where we are with our guns and carry setups through trial and error, despite all the feedback we heard from everyone, what works for us, works for us.

She is on the same journey, so just accept her choices on the path.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 3:59:33 AM EDT
[#31]
My wife is small as well. But isn’t all that recoil sensitive. She has a Shield 9mm that she enjoys and shoots pretty well.

If yours likes the 43, perhaps take a look at changing the recoil spring/guide rod with one from DPM. I had an opportunity to try a pistol with a DPM spring/rod a year or two ago. It definitely softened the recoil impulse and muzzle flip.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/dpm-recoil-rod-reducer-system-for-glock-43.html
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#32]
I’ll look into that.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Width. Just a little too much for her .  Aside from that , she’d have to keep it in her purse, which she doesn’t alway carry.  Trying to hide a 19 on her would be equivalent of grown man appendix carry with pistol grip shotgun . Just doesn’t hide real well
View Quote

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Glock 48. It has the same grip and overall width as the 43X but the slide is the length of a 19. Although I haven't shot one myself, that would add a little extra weight and theoretically reduce the "snap" of the 43 slide. I'm sure others here can comment about how the two compare. The longer slide might not be comfortable to carry, but maybe the reduced width compared to the 19 would make it acceptable. I'd say it's worth having her try one at the range.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Glock 48. It has the same grip and overall width as the 43X but the slide is the length of a 19. Although I haven't shot one myself, that would add a little extra weight and theoretically reduce the "snap" of the 43 slide. I'm sure others here can comment about how the two compare. The longer slide might not be comfortable to carry, but maybe the reduced width compared to the 19 would make it acceptable. I'd say it's worth having her try one at the range.
View Quote

Have one. She says she cant tell the difference
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#35]
She prefers the 43x of the 2 , for the overall feel in the hand
View Quote

Answer.  Because if she practices the recoil will disappear & she will become proficient.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 43/43x have a lighter slide so less reciprocating mass.  I get why she cannot tell the difference because the two pistols are nearly a wash on how they shoot.  The 48 is a little more forgiving on sight alignment because of the little longer sight radius.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I would also consider a compact .22.  Confidence and ease of carry does wonders, especially with people who aren't gun nuts.

I say this because:

1: It's easy to shoot well
2: It's inexpensive to shoot
3: It isn't intimidating
4: Having to use a gun for SD is a rare occurrence, statistically.
5: You live around a very small population and I would bet there is little violent crime.
6: The presence of a gun stops most volatile situations.
7: The majority of people run from gunfire.
8: A barrage of .22 is still lethal.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I would also consider a compact .22.  Confidence and ease of carry does wonders, especially with people who aren't gun nuts.

I say this because:

1: It's easy to shoot well
2: It's inexpensive to shoot
3: It isn't intimidating
4: Having to use a gun for SD is a rare occurrence, statistically.
5: You live around a very small population and I would bet there is little violent crime.
6: The presence of a gun stops most volatile situations.
7: The majority of people run from gunfire.
8: A barrage of .22 is still lethal.

Just a thought.
View Quote

Small population is understatement.  Vliitle violent crime is bigger understatement... haven’t taken keys out of ignition of our trucks in last 20 years.

Got a 44 to practice with.  She loves it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#39]
My ex wife is 4'11" about 110 was 85 when me met she shot a Glock 19 no problem and that was a gen3 a gen 5 would be even better.  Small =\= better.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#40]
shield.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#41]
I’d recommend some hand strengthening exercises first.   Yea, my wife did not go for that either.  

We tried the Walther CCP and it’s not as refined as most Walthers.   Not consistent either.  There is a reason you can find them new for 260-280.

Went with a Smith EZ 380.   Lower recoil and exceptionally easy to cock.  Magazines are EZ to load as well.
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 12:35:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Mine likes her kimber micro 380. She's 5'2".

My g42 is a more practical gun, but she doesn't like glocks. The kimber also is naturally a "+1" magazine because of the gigantic basepads on them. So it holds 7 vs the glock's 6. IMO the glock shoots much softer. Both are pretty mild on the ears with or without earplugs.

Tiny 9 is out of the question for her, not enough hand:grip:recoil for it to be comfortable. I feel better knowing she can make hits with the micro 380 than wondering if she will hit with whatever else.

S&W EZ series guns are neat and seem well worth a good look. I like the concept, and seems a good design.

I'd also look at what you can put night sights on (at least readily available) and even better a white light to compliment (like a tlr6). Good luck getting her to train with it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Define small-ish 9mm. I would say at least try the M&P Shield EZ 9mm unless that's too big. The recoil is extremely soft and muzzle flip is pretty nonexistent.
View Quote
I'm going with this. I bought the wife a Glock 26, she can't load the magazine or rack it, requires too much hand strength. The RO said he bought his wife the M&P Shield EZ because she had the same problem.

Link Posted: 7/1/2020 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#44]
My wife is 5'3" and 104 lbs. When we first got together the only pistol I had was my Springfield XD-S 9mm and she enjoyed shooting it. Other than a little bit of awkwardness due to unfamiliarity, she was able to manipulate the slide and controls. She never had any issue with the recoil
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#45]
@Tmm1270 , you might want to try the glock 48 then or perhaps try some lighter loads.   In theory the longer muzzle & barrel should help control the snappiness a little bit better.  If that doesn't work you might want to look at the glock 42 in .380, I've met a few women who like it since its a larger pistol in .380.

You might try reaching out to some arfcom brethren in your area to see if your wife can check out some of their stuff to find something else she likes other than your 2 current options.

For what its worth my wife likes shooting my g30sf in .45 & also likes the feel of my 48.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Have a 48. It’s a little better. Thought about some reduced power stuff, but I’m not smart enough to figure out where you give up enough energy ect, to cancel out benefit of going from 380 up to 9mm......
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#47]
I took my GF out recently with a P226, P239, HK P2000, P2000SK, and a SIG P938.
She shot the P938 and P2000 best.
Her biggest complaint was being able to work the slide release without relieving tension.  She just didn't have the thumb strength for most of them.
We went to pick out a new home defense pistol for her and she really loved the HK P30.  Slide release was very easy for her.
So...  P30 next to the bed.  P938 for on the go.
Just our experience recently.

Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Try the Springfield XD 9.  My wife loves it.

She also has an old all steel Walther PPK.  Very small, heavy but easy to conceal.  The .380 Bond Gun.
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#49]
My wife is 5'1 and about 95 lbs. She has her own M&P 2.0 Compact that she shoots very well.

In contrast, she doesn't care for my Shield at all.

If you're wife is just having a house gun or a range gun, run the 19 she shoots well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Mom uses a P30 9mm for barn varmint, coyote, night stand. And my 3913 S&W for purse truck gun.

Wife uses a P226/HK45 home defense.
She has carried and sold Shield 9mm, Walther PPS M2, LCP Gen 1.

She now CCW a S&W 637 and LCP Gen II. She loves her 637 since she can go single action if she wants to. It’s very nice to shoot and she connects with it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top