Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2020 7:32:05 PM EDT
As a primer I have a shield 9mm with the crimson trace green laser and a FNX 45 tactical with a TLR-1HL. I’m also a big guy 6ft and 275lbs. I just finished all my stuff for my Texas LTC and I’m waiting for it.

1)  Would you carry with the light? I’m considering an OWB with the Safariland QLS so I can put it on my desk at work or in my deer stand. My plan is mostly for fall/winter when I can wear a jacket

2) I’m thinking a loose vest of sorts. Something that doesn’t scream “Taticool gun guy” any ideas? Bonus points of its leather or denim

3) aliengear shoulder holsters, anybody use them? I’m thinking about the vest with a shoulder holster for springish and fallish seasons

4) on an OWB holster my thoughts for a spare mag would be left side with bullets facing backwards, does that make more sense as opposed to other orientations

5) what else am I missing besides range time?
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As a primer I have a shield 9mm with the crimson trace green laser and a FNX 45 tactical with a TLR-1HL. I’m also a big guy 6ft and 275lbs. I just finished all my stuff for my Texas LTC and I’m waiting for it.

1)  Would you carry with the light? I’m considering an OWB with the Safariland QLS so I can put it on my desk at work or in my deer stand. My plan is mostly for fall/winter when I can wear a jacket

2) I’m thinking a loose vest of sorts. Something that doesn’t scream “Taticool gun guy” any ideas? Bonus points of its leather or denim

3) aliengear shoulder holsters, anybody use them? I’m thinking about the vest with a shoulder holster for springish and fallish seasons

4) on an OWB holster my thoughts for a spare mag would be left side with bullets facing backwards, does that make more sense as opposed to other orientations

View Quote

Welcome to carrying a gun,

1) carrying with a light in my opinion is good. We spend half our life in the dark and you want to be able to identify your target and anything around it. But is not the only thing to consider. I recommend a handheld light as well because you don’t want to point a gun at everything you want to identify. I’d carry both.

2) Clothing is a completely personal choice. Try to dress around the gun. You might need to buy pants or a shirt one size larger than normal to help things fit comfortably.

3) Shoulder holsters can be very comfortable depending on what your doing, but will you be wearing a jacket 100% of the time? What if you’re indoors or it gets hot throughout the day. It’s trial and error to see what works for you. Most gun people have a box full of holsters by the time we find what we like.

4) spare magazine orientation is also personal preference. Most prefer bullets forward so you can index the magazine better and use your indexed finger to guild the magazine into the magwell.
Put you weak side index finger on the front of the mag. Draw it out and it’s naturally pointed in the right direction.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
some comments.... when I started carrying in Florida, there was a statute against a firearm "printing" which could cause loss of license, so OWB added to the liability that the shirt might ride up, making the pistol visible.... additionally I wanted to shoot my carry gun occasionally in USPSA matches, which prohibit shoulder holsters and attached lights, so that kind of set the stage for my carry choice... I carry IWB now with a slim 10 round G43x, and the light is carried off side with the magazine pouch... I wear nylon fishing shorts most of the year, and an extra size nylon flats cape back shirt as a cover up, which does not really look out of place as would a vest (heat and humidity)... in 1970 I was stationed in San Angelo for tech school, and didn't have any humidity.... YMMV good luck with your choice
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the answers

I live on the gulf coast of Texas so I don’t normally have to wear a jacket and most of the time wear a insulated vest and button down shirt.

Good idea on the stand alone flashlight but isn’t that why we have iPhones
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the answers

I live on the gulf coast of Texas so I don’t normally have to wear a jacket and most of the time wear a insulated vest and button down shirt.

Good idea on the stand alone flashlight but isn’t that why we have iPhones
View Quote

How fast can you activate the phone light vs a standard handheld like a surefire/streamlight/modlite?

Is it bright enough to see at any real distance?

Is it bright enough to blind an attacker if you shine it it their eyes?

Can you use your phone as a weapon if you needed to?

I’d rather keep my phone free to call 911 after an incident.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Weather plays a big part in what's doable.  I'm in SoCal temps can run from mile at the coast to either hot as all get out in the desert of cold as ice in the mountains, depending on the season.

For the coast or the desert in warmer times I have my standard old guy "uniform".  Pants or shorts depending on want mood I'm in.  With a  "Hawaiian" shirt.  The I most often carry a 1911 in a belt slide with two extra magazines on the other side from the handgun.  Because these types of shirts are loose and long they conceal well and don't print anymore than other options, and much less than some.  I get a kick out of folks that have tuckable IWB holsters and think they are well concealed.  Those darned belt tabs stick out like a sore thumb.

As to the light issue, I find they make an excellent aiming point.  Lots of theories on how and where to position a light while using a handgun.  But I think the mounted idea is more for easy of carry.  Anyone with decent point shooting skills could hit the light origination area even if the thing is shining in their face.  And a mounted light puts the light right about head level.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome to carrying. Whatever you start with you will change as you figure out what does and doesn’t work for you.

I would suggest starting with the shield, OWB leather strong side. It’s by far the most comfy thing on your list. Texas is legal OC and guns aren’t uncommon, so you will be more comfortable if wind opens your vest or whatever.

Once you’re there, try the FN with light OWB. I hate lights IWB since that’s the part of the gun that’s in your pants. Means you need extra real estate for that too, not just the slide.

I don’t carry with a light. Not because I don’t see the value, but I have young kids. Bed time is 7pm and I don’t go many places that are actually dark. I do have set ups that allow me to carry with a light if I know I’m going out, but realistically (for me) it’s a non issue
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Bed time is 7pm?

I got 3 kids under 8 and I commute an hr. I wish I could do that
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 6:05:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Bed time is 7pm?

I got 3 kids under 8 and I commute an hr. I wish I could do that
View Quote

Their bed time is 7, I sometimes make it till 9 ;-)

We moved so I wouldn’t have more than a 20 minute commute
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Their bed time is 7, I sometimes make it till 9 ;-)

We moved so I wouldn’t have more than a 20 minute commute
View Quote

I'm in the same boat as @steviesterno16 but my kids bed time is 8pm.  I'm rarely out affter then so I don't add a light unless I know I'm doing to be out late.  I do pocket carry a steamlight stylus, is a nice slim light that works well enough for 99% of the things I need.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm in the same boat as @steviesterno16 but my kids bed time is 8pm.  I'm rarely out affter then so I don't add a light unless I know I'm doing to be out late.  I do pocket carry a steamlight stylus, is a nice slim light that works well enough for 99% of the things I need.
View Quote

A Streamlight Stylus Pro costs less than $20, and I use mine just about every day. It's not as powerful as the big tactical lights, but it sure is handy and is easy to carry all the time. They're up to 100 Lumens now. I recommend one, whether you decide to go with a weapon-mounted light or not. A weapon-mounted light is also a good idea - I have some rechargeable Olights that I like.

You'll go through a few iterations as you figure out how you prefer to carry in various situations. Try whatever you think you'll like, and pretty soon you'll have some favorite options. Holsters aren't cheap, but they last for many years. (I saved a whole lot of money on mine by buying used here on the Equipment Exchange.)
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm the same size as the OP. I've never found any OWB that I felt concealed... At all! You're in texas, I don't see you wearing heavy winter clothes often. I'd recommend IWB.

I've bought several shoulder holsters over the years, they have never worked out for me. You have to dress exactly a certain way, an unbuttoned cover garment. You can't take your cover garment off when you get hot.

I've carried for about 20 years and only just recently started carrying with the light mounted. Sure it's going to be bulkier with the light mounted, try it and see if you like it. I found holsters on eBay because most name brands don't make iwb light bearing holsters.

I have carried for 20 years IWB and wearing a dickies work shirt, hawaiian shirt or even just a dickies pocket T. Dickies is the only company that I found that has a long cut. Other shirts are to short on big guys like us and they pull up above your belt line. I've even bought a 5.11 covert casual shirt and found that it was worse. It came about to my belt, raise my arm to get something off a shelf and "there's my gun".

You'll probably buy several holsters before you find one you feel comfortable with.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#13]
You can print in Texas, and OC.  If you print, only other gun guys will comment.  Most people won't notice if you OC.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#14]
1.  There are a good amount of people that carry with a light/wml.  The vast majority of handguns actually used in defensive shootings do not have a wml/light on them.  Try to carry a hand held light if you do not have a wml.

2.  I avoid vests.  A shield is easily able to be carried under a t-shirt.  Bigger guns: short sleeve or long sleeve button down shirt, flannel or casual, tail out. A T shirt also works well for a bigger gun, depending on holster.

3.  I would avoid shoulder holsters.  IWB or OWB. JM Custom, ANR, Vedder, Tier 1, etc.  Hybrid: Crossbreed, stealthgear, theis, Protos, etc.  

4. Yes.  Some also pocket carry extra magazines.  There are specific pocket mag holsters

5. Dry Fire/Laser Trainer/LASR/Mantisx.  Figure out the best way to train without actually shooting
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:15:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A Streamlight Stylus Pro costs less than $20, and I use mine just about every day. It's not as powerful as the big tactical lights, but it sure is handy and is easy to carry all the time. They're up to 100 Lumens now. I recommend one, whether you decide to go with a weapon-mounted light or not. A weapon-mounted light is also a good idea - I have some rechargeable Olights that I like.

You'll go through a few iterations as you figure out how you prefer to carry in various situations. Try whatever you think you'll like, and pretty soon you'll have some favorite options. Holsters aren't cheap, but they last for many years. (I saved a whole lot of money on mine by buying used here on the Equipment Exchange.)
View Quote

@weaver791  The stylus really are awesome.  I’ve got 4 or 5 now.  I have the single aaa version I keep in our cars and carry the 2x aaa version.  I’m a fan of lithium batteries in all carry lights.  Now that fall is upon us I’ve switched my carry to a g19 w/x300 aiwb.  I get a little printing in just a tshirt and none at all if I wear an untucked button up or hoodie.  I’m 6’ and 185 so you can carry a decent sized pistol with light if you ha e a decent belt and holster
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@weaver791  The stylus really are awesome.  I’ve got 4 or 5 now.  I have the single aaa version I keep in our cars and carry the 2x aaa version.  I’m a fan of lithium batteries in all carry lights.  Now that fall is upon us I’ve switched my carry to a g19 w/x300 aiwb.  I get a little printing in just a tshirt and none at all if I wear an untucked button up or hoodie.  I’m 6’ and 185 so you can carry a decent sized pistol with light if you ha e a decent belt and holster
View Quote

Well, I would have 4 or 5 too, if I hadn't lost the first 2 or 3.

True story: When I moved into this house it had been vacant for a while, and the water in the pool was thick and green. As I was leaning over it my Stylus fell out of my shirt pocket. "Bloop". A week later, when I had drained the pool, there it was, sitting on the bottom. I gave it a click and it turned right on, just like new. So I wiped it off and stuck it back in my pocket. Apparently they are waterproof.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 3:23:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

1) Personal preference, no light. I also don't have a light on a handgun. I have a flashlight by the bed, and my AR (also by the bed) has a light. I haven't seen a need to carry a gun with a light. Too much weight for CCW. If you don't need it, keep the FNX45 as a bedside gun. Carry the Shield.

2) I have a nice sleeveless vest that is made of wool and zips up, I wear it with flannel and button downs. Gets the job done. Try a western clothing store or a Tractor Supply.

3) You will find there is a reason you almost never see shoulder holsters anymore. Its not strong side carry, its set up for the bad guy to draw your gun, you risk printing (not an issue in TX with open carry, but my preference is to be concealed and never revealed unless used) For fall, I carry OWB with a flannel or vest over the gun. Same for early spring.

4) I carry reloads either front left pocket or left side mag holder. bullet facing forward, upside down. Hold magazine with index finger extended along the front, index tip touching the tip of the first bullet. Guide by feel until inserted.

5) Practice at the range, but practice drawing and shooting. Target acquisition is not something you get lots of time to do. You will have seconds, maybe 2. Practice shooting two-handed and one handed. "In a fight, front sight."
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I think there's two main reasons shoulder holsters have gone out of fashion:

1) Men don't wear sport coats/suits nearly as much as we used to;
2) Most ranges won't allow you to draw from a shoulder holster (or even cross-draw) as you're sweeping everyone to the left of you on the range.

Otherwise, they're comfortable w/ a big gun, and some models even hold your pants or kilt up.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think there's two main reasons shoulder holsters have gone out of fashion:

1) Men don't wear sport coats/suits nearly as much as we used to;
2) Most ranges won't allow you to draw from a shoulder holster (or even cross-draw) as you're sweeping everyone to the left of you on the range.

Otherwise, they're comfortable w/ a big gun, and some models even hold your pants or kilt up.  
View Quote

Don't forget the third reason (which is probably actually the first reason)
Most people don't find then to be very comfortable.

And don't forget the fourth reason; they are tricky to safely draw from and especially, to re-holster back into (NOT that this is impossible, just that many people don't know the correct techniques for doing it.  And many of those who do know, feel uneasy about practicing those techniques with a loaded pistol).
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Other than the fact that you're temporarily pointing a gun @ your weak arm as you draw, I don't see a shoulder holster as any more unsafe than any other type of holster.  And they're not hard to reholster into, use two hands.

I understand why ranges won't let you practice drawing from one, I wouldn't want to be in the next booth over from someone drawing w/ one, but I'm perfectly comfortable carrying my 1911 or my Glock 23 in one.  For OC, my cross-draw displays my Lego grips better, but I'd love to have a suppressed Glock 26 w/ an optic in a shoulder holster as backup to a waist mounted primary 26; the shoulder holster would become the primary inside a vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 5:49:58 AM EDT
[#21]
There is no correct/right answer to most of your questions, but here is my take, not necessarily in order...I am not big on shoulder holsters, not sure why but just not something I have warmed up to but if they work for you and that is what you prefer then give it a try and practice drawing from whatever you choose.  As for WML, I prefer them, I carry a spare flashlight too, just in case my WML doesn't work.  There are several reasons why I like them and this is my take.  I like having my off hand empty to be able to use for other tasks if needed such as defense, or if my child is with me to have on him, so I know where he is and can pull him behind me or usher him wherever I need.  Also if needed I can use a two handed grip on my firearm to have a better stance and improve accuracy.  I have shot many courses with handheld flashlight using all the methods and I just don't really think any of them work well for me...practice with the light but carry a hand held too...and a mag should be facing where as everyone else said you use your index finger when you draw it to align the mag with the handgun, that would be bullets facing forward if on the weak side and facing rear if you use more of a cross draw from the strong side.  Hope this helps and enjoy carrying.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#22]
No substitute for handgun control than two hands on the weapon, period, end of discussion.  WML has always been the best option. (Carry small light as back up, low light tasks)  As previously mentioned, gives you the weak hand option for use.
The latest lights out are amazing and very lightweight. TLR-7 with the correct holster takes up almost no extra space on the weapon than without.
As for shoulder holsters, they should be banned....someone covered most of the reasons (see above post).
The argument about WML giving the bad guy an aiming target?
If you are going into an armed encounter you are facing an armed threat, when you illuminate the threat you already have the advantage.  At that point if he is a threat you should be defending yourself at that point, bad guy shooting into 500 or more lumens with his eyes adjusted to the dark, him pointing at a light on the weapon or held off body is moot,
Keep the deck stacked in you and your families favor.  Also, training is key. Stay safe.....
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:  No substitute for handgun control than two hands on the weapon, period, end of discussion.  WML has always been the best option. (Carry small light as back up, low light tasks)  As previously mentioned, gives you the weak hand option for use.
The latest lights out are amazing and very lightweight. TLR-7 with the correct holster takes up almost no extra space on the weapon than without.
As for shoulder holsters, they should be banned....someone covered most of the reasons (see above post).
The argument about WML giving the bad guy an aiming target?
If you are going into an armed encounter you are facing an armed threat, when you illuminate the threat you already have the advantage.  At that point if he is a threat you should be defending yourself at that point, bad guy shooting into 500 or more lumens with his eyes adjusted to the dark, him pointing at a light on the weapon or held off body is moot,
Keep the deck stacked in you and your families favor.  Also, training is key. Stay safe.....
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Shoulder-Rigs--I-think-they-need-to-come-back-/5-2381670/
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Just remember before you receive your CHL (as well as other family members w/o CHL) you may carry in your vehicle. Of course you don't want to leave vehicle unattended at home depot with your gun inside but picking up drive thru or curbside stuff or traveling is still GTG w/o CHL in TX.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I carry OWB concealed daily with a Glock 43. I have a 2 mag carrier OWB on my left side facing rearward. Yes, it's a small gun, but I weigh about 130lbs. I wear a tucked in undershirt, and an untucked short sleeve button-up shirt

every day. Nobody has ever commented on me printing or exposing the gun. My setup is super comfy allowing me to drive with my pistol holstered. I highly recommend a top quality gun belt to make this possible.

I think carrying IWB is uncomfortable and overrated. People wear so much stuff on their belts nowadays, that nobody pays any attention to it.

I also recommend buying a second cheap holster for your vehicle for going to the post office,etc.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:15:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:  Just remember before you receive your CHL (as well as other family members w/o CHL) you may carry in your vehicle. Of course you don't want to leave vehicle unattended at home depot with your gun inside but picking up drive thru or curbside stuff or traveling is still GTG w/o CHL in TX.
View Quote

What do you do w/ your truck rifle when you're @ Home Depot?  You OCing your rifle through HD?
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I carry OWB concealed daily with a Glock 43. I have a 2 mag carrier OWB on my left side facing rearward. Yes, it's a small gun, but I weigh about 130lbs. I wear a tucked in undershirt, and an untucked short sleeve button-up shirt

every day. Nobody has ever commented on me printing or exposing the gun. My setup is super comfy allowing me to drive with my pistol holstered. I highly recommend a top quality gun belt to make this possible.

I think carrying IWB is uncomfortable and overrated. People wear so much stuff on their belts nowadays, that nobody pays any attention to it.

I also recommend buying a second cheap holster for your vehicle for going to the post office,etc.
View Quote

Why a cheap holster for your vehicle? I pull my holster out entirely and stick it in the center console (mine locks). I guess if you carry OWB it's tough to do that though...
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I find that bullets forward works better for me on a spare mag. As was stated, it allows you to grip the front of the mag with the index finger which is quite natural for most.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top