Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2020 2:32:24 AM EDT
Hey guys, I finally got my CCW so now it's time to get a good holster. My girlfriend is asking for Christmas ideas and I figured this would be a good one to give her. I've done quite a bit of research but most of what I'm finding is outdated and there are so many on the market these days my head is spinning.

I'm a pretty skinny guy at 6'0 130 so I need one that is well suited for my body type. I plan to carry at 4:00 right behind my hip bone. Weapon will be a S&W shield 9. FWIW for my specific body type I've had recommendations of alien gear cloak and tuck and vedder light tuck. Agreed/disagree? Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a vedder OWB for my PM9. I hate it.

Are you wanting IWB or owb?

IWB should conceal better, unless you have huge shoulders, then OWB will work.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag, for similar interest.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m 5’ 10” at about 135lb and can conceal a G19.5 with a reload using NSR Tactical holster and mag pouch. I would certainly check them out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm skinny as hell (5'9"@135) and normally wear OWB 3:00-3:30.

OWB - Raven Phantom (replaced by Perun) but there are now many makers who make a similar style such as NSR as mentioned above. Maybe check the NSR CUSTOM CTH OWB HOLSTER or others..

IWB - Raven Vanguard

Key thing is your BELT.  I'm using a basic Galco heavy duty instructors belt for many years now.  Need to find something nicer - it's ugly but does its job well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm neither tall nor skinny, but have been using a Tulster IWB for a couple of years now... larger format belt clip holds gun in place... when I rode a motorcycle I started using an Uncle Mikes velcro under belt (for a duty rig) as it did not have a buckle that could scratch the tank of the FJR...I carry a G43x but very similar format as a Shield... you might take a look at it

https://tulster.com/holsters-by-gun-model/smith-wesson/
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I finally got my CCW so now it's time to get a good holster. My girlfriend is asking for Christmas ideas and I figured this would be a good one to give her. I've done quite a bit of research but most of what I'm finding is outdated and there are so many on the market these days my head is spinning.

I'm a pretty skinny guy at 6'0 130 so I need one that is well suited for my body type. I plan to carry at 4:00 right behind my hip bone. Weapon will be a S&W shield 9. FWIW for my specific body type I've had recommendations of alien gear cloak and tuck and vedder light tuck. Agreed/disagree? Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!
View Quote

Usually u get what u pay for...
I used to be skinny.  And I’m a leather guy. BUT for iwb I love vedder light tuck. I conceal a 43 or hellcat in dress pants tucked in shirt. Light coat.
     Owb I prefer high end custom leather pancake style. Not cheap store bought leather rigs.   My current owb for my new hellcat is thick cowhide wrapped in real shark skin. Have two. They seam bullet proof. Shark is extremely durable. I wear it rolling around in the garage etc etc.  matching leatherman sheath too.

Plenty of good leather benders out there.    Not sure of your legal stuff but I don’t need to worry about printing. If I did and was skinny. I’d need a button shirt in the summer.
    But like others have said bite the bullet and get a good belt! It really does make a world of difference!
   I wear a ares aegis for everything from idpa to business attire
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Cooks IWB

This.  Adjustable cant, comfortable, high quality, multiple color choices/patterns.
I own several and carry at 4 o'clock as you desire.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#8]
6'3", a little under 180 here. Tulster or a compact hybrid (single clip on the holster itself) work fine for me. Good belt, and 'tall' sizing in shirts (difficult to find in non-XL+ sizes, but do exist) and I've been good since the Shield came out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Raven Vanguard II.

If you want a full holster, don’t get anything that stacks the loops or clip on top of the gun. They make it much thicker and harder to conceal.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Being slender as well (6ft1 / 170) I need the butt into my side pretty tight at 4 o:clock.  Some previous good mentions above, like: (and I have these 2)
- vedder lt tuck
- tulster

I'd recommend you also look at:
- SCK holsters
- JM custom kydex  

But my personal favorite IWB of all the holsters I have, is the Bravo concealment (BCA) torsion 3.0.  It tucks butt into body without a claw / wing.  2nd place for me is the SCK (with a claw).  These are light and minimalistic - which I prefer.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I know they are out of business, but I still run across new FIST super thin kydex holsters on ebay from time to time.  They carry super close and a holster could not be any thinner and still work.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#12]
If you're tall and skinny, AIWB would seem like the perfect carry method. I would recommend at least considering it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 12:34:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know they are out of business, but I still run across new FIST super thin kydex holsters on ebay from time to time.  They carry super close and a holster could not be any thinner and still work.
View Quote

They are???

I've owned quite a few FIST holsters over the years and they've all been top notch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top