Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2022 2:33:12 PM EDT
Recently my 13 yr old sons have become interested in canoeing and kayaking and I want to go with them. Turns out I am woefully unprepared for it gun carry wise.

I have a s&w 638 humpback 38, ruger alaskan 454 that holds 45 colts a lot, a 4" s&w 686, ruger single seven stainless, blackhawk 45 colt, blued single six.

I don't know how to carry one on a canoe without a lanyard, none of my revolvers have a provision for one anyway. Right now I'm leaning toward the single seven although the 638 would be smaller and lighter. I just have a pocket holster for the 638 though.

What kind of carry do you all do in canoe river trips where tip over is very likely? I wasn't sure what forum to post under
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to keep a 38 snubbie inside a ziplock bag inside my cooler and make sure everyone in my canoe was disciplined enough to keep the cooler bungie corded closed when not in use = they knew why and that the gun was there.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Simple.take grips off run a loop of gutted paracord around frame put grips back on.
Attach gutted paracord loop to lanyard of choice, sally forth
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a 642 as my primary kayak and fishing gun; it was also carried when canoeing until my canoe got damaged and I haven't bothered to repair it (damaged gunwale and seat from a tree limb).  Anyways, on the water it usually gets stuck in a Ziploc and either stuck in my pfd pocket (which has Velcro and a Fastex buckle) or secured in my deck bag or a buttpack (usually worn, especially in cold weather, sometimes just clipped to the seat).  It does not have a lanyard on it; I tried a couple of options but didn't care for them.  A loop of bank line with a blood knot under the grips was cheap and easy way to connect a heavy duty zinger or lanyard. Not a fan of the telephone cord style lanyards as they get hung up on stuff, especially when you're in a swamp.  I started with a 686 as a boat/swamp gun and it wears a set of Hogue Mongrips with their lanyard stud that replaces the screw in the bottom of the grip; needless to say it was heavier.  It was supplanted by a G27 since I actually like the 686 and didn't care about a Glock; I didn't care about the Glock enough that I sold it after I quit the job where I was primarily using it.  

The guns all got wet on more than one occasion, both fresh and salt water and I would just pull the grips, rinse with clean fresh water, blast them out with WD-40, sling the excess out and wipe them down.  Good to go until I could do a more thorough cleaning.  They're still rust free today.  Rinse your ammo with fresh water and dry but don't oil; never had any issues even after being submerged for a few minutes but I always used factory ammo.  One of my co-workers used to put a drop of clean nail polish on the primers and the case mouth of his rounds.  Most of the time I load the 1st chamber with a CCI shotshell and the other four with whatever I feel appropriate.  I've killed more snakes with boat paddles, bush axes, range poles, etc. than I've shot.  When fishing from a power boat, especially at night when we'll be coming back to a boat landing, I usually carry something with a few more rounds (usually a G26; I still don't like Glocks ).      

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Every one of those guns is appropriate and workable.

A chest holster like a Man Gear Alaska/Double D/ Gunfighters Inc puts it right there.

If you live where people get scared of guns in the wilderness, the Hill People Gear Kit Bag covers up the gun and might fit a snack or two .

I'd also add a lanyard just because I like them... and being on water.

No matter what way you carry it, you're already 95% of the way there so rock on and have fun!

Link Posted: 7/3/2022 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the idea of tying the paracord under the grips and I'll try that tomorrow if I can find the old rubber boot grips for the 638. Right now I have walnut magnas on there with a t grip. I like the Alaskan too, it's just such a fat chunk in water clothes. I'll have to invest in a pfd with a pocket as well.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
A buttpack works fine since you're probably going to want to put your wallet, keys, phone, etc in some sort of dry bag/pouch and have them on you.  You can buy an inexpensive dry pouch at Walmart or your local outdoor recreation store.  The only reason I use a Ziploc for the gun is it's thin enough I can grasp it and shoot or rip the top off; they aren't exactly watertight if you submerge them for more than a quick dunk though, unlike a dry bag.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#7]
A Galco vertical shoulder holster. Stays out of the way, is very comfortablele and you won't lose it if you tip as it has a thumb snap strap. You can get a great variety of opposite side accessories to customize it however you want. Changing it to another firearm is just getting it's holster and changing it out with the existing one.

Galco VHS

Some of the accesories

If you get the product numbers from the links you can shop around. I used to get good deals that way when Optics Planet wasn't such a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the 638 in a pocket holster or Fanny pack would be a good choice.

The 686 in a chest holster too, if less discrete is ok.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Just carry like normal.
Attachment Attached File

Now that I got my Kramer for my m65 I'll probably carry it more often on the water.
Attachment Attached File

I've been mulling over a lanyard solution but until I do I'll carry a 1911 like I normally do because they already have a lanyard loop.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 11:48:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Wound up carrying the 638 in a waterproof box tied to the seat with paracord. I will have to look at shoulder holster options or a lifejacket that has pockets since the gun in the box was kind of aggravating me not being able to grab it fast. Had a blast on the water though. Boys are practicing getting back into a canoe. Turns out it's not easy at all
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 12:40:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just carry like normal.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20211008_115219_2_jpg-2442319.JPG

Now that I got my Kramer for my m65 I'll probably carry it more often on the water.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20220701_121202_jpg-2442320.JPG

I've been mulling over a lanyard solution but until I do I'll carry a 1911 like I normally do because they already have a lanyard loop.
View Quote

As much as I prefer leather- and I really do, I will concede the advantages of plastic for use around water.  I did pick up one of these to try because of this thread: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0088MQAU6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details  It came today so I haven't really formed any opinions on it yet.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As much as I prefer leather- and I really do, I will concede the advantages of plastic for use around water.  I did pick up one of these to try because of this thread: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0088MQAU6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details  It came today so I haven't really formed any opinions on it yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just carry like normal.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20211008_115219_2_jpg-2442319.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/IMG_20220701_121202_jpg-2442320.JPG

Horsehide is a lot denser than cowhide. Ive had horse hide holsters fully submerged over decades with no loss of retention. Plus it won't crack like kydex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top