Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2018 8:18:19 AM EDT
I'm a lefty who loves the 1911, but is 0-2 on ambi safetys so far. First was a Colt branded one that failed and the second was on a factory new Taurus 1911 (got it in a good trade, but it's gone now...).

I will be putting it on a Colt 1991A1 that is mostly a range gun. I might carry it on occasion, thus the need for the ambi safety. It won't see a lot of use and abuse, but I need to feel 100% confident in it.

Based on my internet research, my short list is:

Wilson bulletproof

EGW

Kimber

Price is not an issue and I can do the fitting myself.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Setting brand aside, there are at least two type of ambidextrous thumb safeties.

I have both, no issues with either.

1. most commonly seen is the set/type with the wing on the right side safety.  The wing rotates under the right side grip panel, so that panel has to be relieved to allow that wing to move back and forth.  The wing is what keeps the right side safety in place.

2. the other one has a longer sear pin with a notch just short of the right end of the pin.  It extends through the frame a small amount.  The right side safety has a small bevel on the front that fits into that notch in the pin and travels up/down/around in the notch as the safety is moved from safe to fire.  That bevel on the front of the right side safety fitting/moving in the sear pin notch is what keeps the right side safety in place.

Both work fine for me.

And I have not idea, now, what brands any of mine are.  I've installed several over the last 35 years or so.  Only had to "fit" one.  That last one had to have a little metal removed to allow it to move between fire and safe.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Radian Talon because it uses a detente instead of a screw.  I think right to bear has them on sale for $38 right now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#4]
EGW or Wilson Bulletproof.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I've used Wilson and I like the shape. It's blued and iirc the egw is parkerized and I would go with that one depending on the finish.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#6]
EGW
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've used Wilson and I like the shape. It's blued and iirc the egw is parkerized and I would go with that one depending on the finish.
View Quote
Thanks,

The EGW is advertised as "blued", but looks like a matte finish. I'm probably going to have the pistol re-parked, so I guess the finish does not matter in the long run.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Take a look at the LWRC ambi selector

https://www.lwrci.com/p-396-ambi-selector-switch.aspx s
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:23:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Wilson bulletproof
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 3:58:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I installed a Wilson Bulletproof Ambi on my Colt CCU and have been very happy with it. Fitting it was very easy and it has a very tactical feeling up and down click. All the edges are very dehorned too and it feels great.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Take a look at the LWRC ambi selector

https://www.lwrci.com/p-396-ambi-selector-switch.aspx s
View Quote
Umm, wrong thread, maybe?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a shame King's is out of business now. They made the best, IMHO
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:26:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have used both of these with good results. I'd go with whichever of these 2 matches the finish of your gun or simply whichever profile you prefer. I like the Wilson on a carry gun and EGW on a competion gun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's a shame King's is out of business now. They made the best, IMHO
View Quote
both EGW and Wilson sell a King copy, Kimber may as well.

I've always used Ed brown large wide flat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top