Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2020 4:31:25 PM EDT
I was just offered this in a trade and have little knowledge about older Hi Powers. Seller claims it has never been fired and is New. He stated he called Browning and they estimate the value at auction would be around $3500. Any truth to this or just smoke? Thanks!

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe it was made before 1954 based on the serial number.  The *M is the factory controller of proof and I believe it was Couchant Louis who was working for FN from 1923 to 1952.
The pistol was refinished later as I don't believe FN applied HC until much later.  It may never been shot but IMHO the fact that it was refinished lowers the value.
I'd say it may be worth $1,200 but not more mostly because it was refinished outside of FN factory.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
How would "Browning" have an estimation?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]
How is the trigger pull?
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that's nickel.  Mid 50s.  I can't imagine $3500.  Hi Powers are awesome but even T series and Nazi marked guns don't go for that $$$
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#5]
nvm
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like an early model with the internal extractor and the slide cut on the front of the slide. Browning never chromed any of their guns. There were some in nickel finished ones though starting in the '70's I believe. I doubt it's factory finished, more likely re-finished. But yeah probably worth $1K or so. Likely refinished to cover up blemishes. I wouldn't buy it for $3500. I bought a sweet MKIII in original satin nickel finish for $1500. It was high for the price, but they are hard to come by.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...Seller claims it has never been fired and is New.
View Quote

Seller is a liar or an idiot. It is neither new or unfired. Let me rephrase that, seller is a bald faced liar.

He stated he called Browning and they estimate the value at auction would be around $3500.
View Quote

1. Browning doesn't give estimated value on guns. Especially guns that they aren't looking at. Especially guns that are being desribed over the phone.
2. It's refinished.
3. It's lost any collector value it once had.
4. Likely it's been fired many hundreds if not thousands of rounds because its a post war Hi Power.
5. FN manufactured that pistol, not Browning. FN didn't start using nickel, chrome, etc until late '60's.

I've collected Hi Powers since the early '80's. I wouldn't give $350 for that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...Browning never chromed any of their guns.
View Quote

Sure they did, I have a HP "Practical", Silver Chrome and Black.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:43:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the replies guys. Extremely helpful. I thought it was fishy after researching up prices on Gunbroker. Helped me dodge a bullet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sure they did, I have a HP "Practical", Silver Chrome and Black.
View Quote

THAT was my dream gun when I worked at BrowningUK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top