Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 1/2/2021 6:27:44 PM EDT
Inherited a Colt 1908 Vest Pocket Hammerless .25 ACP from my grandfather. Serial number is 288XXX indicating it was built in 1921. I was hoping to clean it up a bit but don't want to do any additional damage to the finish. Grips appear to be aftermarket "Franzite" so I may try to find some period correct mother of pearl or walnuts.

Any advice or threads detailing the clean-up / restoration process would be greatly appreciated. The gun probably hasn't been cleaned in over 50 years.

Thanks!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Tear it down as far as you are comfortable with (able to put it back together). I have an ultrasonic cleaner so would put it in there sans the grips and then blast it clean with compressed air. Order new springs from Wolff. Any rust should be taken care of by soaking in oil. Then get an old credit card (I use a cheap dental scaler made out of cheap chinese steel as it is quite soft). You want to remove any rust clumps. I advise against steel wool, but if you do go light and only use 0000.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you! Wolff springs ordered. Greatly appreciate the advice / assist.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Detail strip and put everything but the grips in a pan of Mineral Spirits ( Available in the paint dept of Lowes or Home Depot)
Let soak overnight. Put some gloves on and take a tooth brush and scrub the bad areas.
Pull parts out and hit with some compressed air or just put on a towel and let dry.
Parts will be clean and ready to reassemble, don't forget to oil the parts as you reassemble.

Grips can be cleaned with Simple green and toothbrush and then rinse with water.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner, detail strip and boil in dawn//water mix, let cool, rinse, boil in clean water , dry off, rinse in oil
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with what everyone above said, I also use a copper penny(a real copper penny, not a modern one) to remove the rust. You just rub the rusted area with the edge of the penny and some Hoppe's. It will leave copper marks but they will come off with some Hoppe's and elbow grease.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Choir Boy copper scrub pads and Kroil work well to remove rust.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Everyone keep in mind that this gun is probably rust blued. Some compounds like Flitz that some may use will remove the patina under the blue.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 7:38:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By P08:
Everyone keep in mind that this gun is probably rust blued. Some compounds like Flitz that some may use will remove the patina under the blue.
View Quote

More likely heat blued.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:26:14 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks for the advice on the Colt. cleaned up nicely. springs replaced. new stock walnut grips (correct for year of manufacture)
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks nice with those walnut panels!

Makes me want to go buy the Browning my old man buddy has an extra of.  

Just cannot get into .25 ACP despite appreciating the craftsmanship.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 9:06:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I like it! Part of me would want to park it, but it would require allot of metal to be removed, the lettering obliterated and even then... GREAT JOB.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 4:58:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Shoot it yet?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Your Grandfather's name wasn't Russ by chance?
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top