Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2018 3:41:25 PM EDT
I can tell the barrel is slightly off center

What is the best way to bend the front sight over with damaging the factory blue finish?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Send it back for repair.

(I damaged the finish a little when I fixed mine)

You are probably going to want to have someone else shoot it to make sure it isn't you causing the issue.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Barrel is  under tightened. Find someone with a barrel wrench
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The proper way to zero a single action with fixed sights is to slightly loosen or tighten the barrel not to bend the sight. Plenty of info out there on cowboy action shooting forums on doing this
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Send it back for repair.

(I damaged the finish a little when I fixed mine)

You are probably going to want to have someone else shoot it to make sure it isn't you causing the issue.
View Quote
That is what I will do.  It was off a little and I bent the front sight once on an old beater Colt New Service to get it to shoot straight.

I am pretty sure the New Service was off due to the bulge 1/2 way down the barrel.  lol
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#5]
How about one that shoots high? I have a Cimarron that shoot high with 200gr and 250gr.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How about one that shoots high? I have a Cimarron that shoot high with 200gr and 250gr.
View Quote
You need to move the front sight the opposite way that the Point of AIM needs to move.  To get it to shoot lower you need a taller front sight
The better option is to find a load that shoots to the POA.
M
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You need to move the front sight the opposite way that the Point of AIM needs to move.  To get it to shoot lower you need a taller front sight
M
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
M
Yeah, that's the problem. A front sight should shoot LOW so you file it down to bring the POI up. When it comes to .45 Colt, 200gr and 250gr are fairly standard.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've never had a Uberti/Cimarron r5 Colt that shot high. I've had to whittle the front sights down on every one of them to make POA = POI. You might want to work on your grip. Too loose of a grip will cause it to shoot high

Link Posted: 12/7/2018 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've never had a Uberti/Cimarron r5 Colt that shot high. I've had to whittle the front sights down on every one of them to make POA = POI. You might want to work on your grip. Too loose of a grip will cause it to shoot high

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's possible, but I've had several single action revolvers before. This is the only one that's ever shot high.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's possible, but I've had several single action revolvers before. This is the only one that's ever shot high.
View Quote
Two USFA 45 Colt's I've owned shot very high. The first one I sold out of frustration, the second is at Alan Harton's having the front sight built up to correct the problem.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:52:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay, I'm going to share with you guys the ole tyme' gunsmiths way of dealing with this, and I suspect that a lot of you won't like it.

First off, and easy way to deal with this is to purchase a take-off barrel (used) that is being sold because someone wanted one longer or shorter.

But, there used to be quite an industry (before cowboy action shooting even existed) for accurizing SAA pistols with problems just like this.

The pistol was shot by the gunsmith from a rest to get an idea of what was going on with the barrel.

Once it was established that it was a barrel issue (as opposed to something simple with the sights), it was placed in a jig on an arbor press, and the barrel deliberately (gently!) bent to compensate for the direction it was shooting off target.
And yes, this was done for Colt factory pistols too.

The pistol was shot again, and finally regulated for a distance that was accurate from 0 to 25 yards.
There are a number of articles in the old gun magazines and Gun Digest from the 70's about this. Funny that it's not mentioned much any more. The bend is so subtle you can't really see it with the naked eye.

That's what I'd do if it was my pistol. A replacement barrel doesn't cause any cringing however.

G.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#12]
add more powder to your 200gr. load. Your bullets are moving to slow with too much recoil. A faster slug will bring it down. You can even do this with Trail Boss as not to make an overload.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
add more powder to your 200gr. load. Your bullets are moving to slow with too much recoil. A faster slug will bring it down. You can even do this with Trail Boss as not to make an overload.
View Quote
Again, it shoots high with EVERYTHING. 200gr, 250gr, doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At this point your only option is to eighter low the rear sight.  If the rear sight is fixed that isn't possible

The other is to replace the front sight with a taller one, or modify the existing sight with by adding material and then filing it down until point of aim is correct.

I am not sure if the sight on it now is silver soldered on or attached an other way.   Silver solder is easy to remove and not hard to put back on.

I would get a gun smith to do it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am talking about powder loads. Up the powder in your 200gr load. Unless of course you are using factory ammo,,.45colt demands hand loads to
be accurate. Do you know your cylinder bore diameter? The barrel Bore diameter? without this knowledge you will have to be content with shit posting on internet forums,
and come to the realization that single action revolvers are above your pay scale.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top