Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2019 2:58:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
When I first starting shooting I shot tons of Thunderbolt.  I just didnt know any better.  I got smarter and sold/traded off all the Thunderbolt I had stocked up on years ago.  Last year a buddy had a brick and I shot some through one of his pistols...and....

it's still the same dirty shit it always has been!
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I still have a few partial boxes in the basement, stuff must be from the 80's. There are too many other good choices to even bother trying the crap again. Somebody must buy the shit though. Hopefully just neckbeards. Joke's on them.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask yourself this.  Has Remington gotten any better?
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Went through a box of early 80's Thunderbolts in the SIG 522 about 3 years ago.  100% function and good groups.

A couple range trips ago my nephew brought his little boy's new Chipmunk single shot (is that the little bitty bolt action .22 that is so small it's darned hard to shoot if you're an adult??) to sight in.  With newly bought Thunderbolts function was 100% and as hard is it was to shoot it made his Henry lever action .22 look like a candidate for the trash can.  Most groups (3 shot groups) two bullets would tear one hole and the third would be 1/2" to 1" away from the other two.  The rifle is so small I had to lay my head almost sideways across the back to align the sights.

I'm thinking about running some of the new stuff through my 522 this weekend.  We'll see how it does with new stuff.

And the worst leaded up barrel I've seen - in my life - was after a couple boxes of Federal .22 plated bullets through my youngest son's AR15 with the .22 conversion kit in it.

Your barrel has a lot to do with accuracy and leading.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 2:28:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never understood the negative hype in regards to Thunderbolts.  I've shot them in my plinkers for years. They run a little dirty, but nothing occasional cleaning didn't take care of. There might be a dud here and there, but I've seen duds in CCI's offerings.

I'm of the mind that a bad reputation of these rounds have kept the price down.  I'm OK with that.  It's just more for me.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 3:24:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Paul Harrell just did a video on this.
https://youtu.be/JiMNASuw69U

Maybe someone in team can embed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 4:13:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Nope, it's still junk. The good news is 22 is plentiful now and there are lots of other options.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#8]
They shoot fine for general use and they're cheap.  I'll buy it without hesitation.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 2:01:57 AM EDT
[#9]
They work fine in my pistols. I haven't noticed many duds or extreme leading
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't shoot Thunderbolts even if they were given to me for free.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Same. In fact I gave what I had left of that stuff away for free a long time ago.

I had them crud up a CZ Kadet barrel a long time ago. It was so bad, looking down the barrel, it literally looked like the bore was lined with mud. I never saw anything like it and frankly I'm not sure how the rounds were making it all the way through. I had to scrub it out with a bore brush. I know that wasn't purely due to Thunderbolts or you'd hear about that a lot more, but I think they were definitely a major contributing factor.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Same. In fact I gave what I had left of that stuff away for free a long time ago.

I had them crud up a CZ Kadet barrel a long time ago. It was so bad, looking down the barrel, it literally looked like the bore was lined with mud. I never saw anything like it and frankly I'm not sure how the rounds were making it all the way through. I had to scrub it out with a bore brush. I know that wasn't purely due to Thunderbolts or you'd hear about that a lot more, but I think they were definitely a major contributing factor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a group up at the MN compound and the host was shooting some of that crap. We could visibly see the bullet fly out of the barrel about 10 feet before hitting the ground. He had several ftf too. I've had similar experiences. We disposed of all of it later that day, even though it was at the peak of the .22 panic.

I don't care if it gets better or not, I'll never give it another chance.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

(snip)

I don't care if it gets better or not, I'll never give it another chance.
View Quote
Same. Life's too short to shoot Thunderbolts.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Ruger 22/45 6 7/8 target model that has always been a laserbeam.

I shot 500 or TRIED to shoot 500 thunderbolts out of it when it became inaccurate and began recoiling funny.

Locked the bolt back and looked down the barrel. It was a sewer pipe of lead.

Shot 2 mags of Federal bulk pack through it and the barrel was clean and the accuracy returned.

I shoot them for free, but sparingly and chase them with a higher quality round to flush out the fouling.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 8:53:23 PM EDT
[#15]
With all the other choices out there, why buy or bother with Thunderturds ?
Spend a little extra and get good clean ammo.

Link Posted: 4/1/2019 11:11:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Well shit...I should have read this before I bought 3000 rds from palmetto.  It is $.029/rd with free shipping.  I’m thinking I still should have passed.  I guess it will end up being my stored ammo for selling during the next scare.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ask yourself this.  Has Remington gotten any better?
View Quote
I agree with this in the tech sense. I do not like them at all.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, it's the ammo.  Happened to both my Walther P22 and my Ruger mkIII.  It was a real pita to clean those barrels out, lots of scrubbing.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#19]
My last experience with Thunderbolts was a few years ago.   My buddy was shooting them out of a Ruger 10/22 at 50 yards.    Listening to them you would hear some made a popping noise and some made a cracking noise.   His group was just a bit smaller than a basketball.   He was using open sights.   We moved back to 100 yards and shot for a bit.   He shot A LOT at 100 yards at one target.   When we walked up and looked at the target, he had two distinct patterns at 100 yards.   Each was the size of a basketball and one was directly above the other.   They barely touched in the center.   We figured the cracking noise was bullets moving faster than the bullets that made the popping noise.   That was a long time ago.

2hut8
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#20]
It was shit 40 years ago. I bought a brick and my 10/22 would choke on it. Gave the brick to my best friend.  His Marlin 60 would eat it.

Haven't tried it since. And from the sound of things, no,  it is not any better.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I found some during the rimfire ammo shortage so I bought it.

It’s a little less accurate than Federal’s 36gr HVHP “bulk pack” ammo out of a Ruger Mk3 6-7/8” slab side.  Can’t remember having any duds.  My friend’s 10/22 Target (HB model) wouldn’t feed Thunderbolts. FTF every round.

The ammo was fresh from WalMart and looked dirty.  I’m talking I was there every week when the ammo shipments arrived and  I’d buy 1000-1500 for that week’s range time fresh.  Looked like surplus ammo.

Rimfire ammo has always been crap (at least the budget options have been).  Thunderbolts fit into the budget category.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been tracking this for 40 years.

Let's see....

Remington .22 ammo....

Sucked in 1978.

Still sucked in 1988........

....and 1998........

Then 2008....

and it still sucked in 2018....

Just shot some of this shit that I got during that bullshit panic....

Went to clean the bore of my Smith 17 after about 150 rounds of it.

I was pulling SHEETS ( no bullshit....SHEETS) of lead out of the barrel.

Remington 22 ammo....sucks.  It has always sucked and it will always suck.  till the end of time......
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Thunderbolt ammo sucks shit. In the 1990’s I bought a couple bricks of the shit to shoot out of a Heritage revolver that I had. I got about 5 duds out of every 50 rounds that I shot and I finally tossed the remaining rounds in the garbage when one round fizzed and got stuck in my bore. There was also a difference in most of the rounds went off ranging from a bang to a weak pop when fired. Total shit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2019 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I also forgot about the barrel leading until just now ....
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 7:10:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
I used to buy them years ago but they didn't function for long well in my semi-autos. If someone gave me a box today I would save them for my S&W 617 or LCRx3.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#26]
I like them they have been the best bulk I’ve tried in my mark iv
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top