Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2021 1:23:43 PM EDT
Was out shooting this morning and decided to shoot up the mag full of Fed 147gr HST that was in my nightstand gun(M&P 9mm FS 1.0). It's been in the gun for over a year but hasn't been exposed to any humidity. Halfway through the mag I get a click so I ejected the round and it had a mark on the primer that should've been deep enough to fire it, I rechambered it and got another click. I've never had any issues with this gun before so I tried the round in my new Shield Plus and got clicks with that also.

First time I've ever had any premium centerfire ammo that failed. I'm almost certain it had to be the ammo if two guns wouldn't fire it. Just shows that you aren't immune from malfunctions even with quality ammo. I tossed the ammo but wish I would've kept it and tried it in the other three 9mm we have at home.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
And this is why we practice failure to fire drills..............

It's VERY rare but it can happen.

I would have contacted Federal with the lot ## and asked them if they have had any other failures they know about with it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And this is why we practice failure to fire drills..............

It's VERY rare but it can happen.

I would have contacted Federal with the lot ## and asked them if they have had any other failures they know about with it.
View Quote

Very true about practicing failure drills. I'm not even sure what the lot number was on the ammo in that mag, I've had it for a few years and the box is long gone. The HST I have was bought over a two or three year span so I have multiple lot numbers.

At first I thought it was the gun as my other M&P has had some failure to fire on a couple different brands that I no longer have but this gun has been flawless and when it happened in the Shield also it's got to be the ammo.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I cannot remember ever having a dud with premium ammo but I've seen premium duds in the dud barrel at my range.

It can and does happen. My first theory was a light primer strike but you eliminated that possibility with using different guns. The next theory would be too much gun oil killed the primer BUT HST primers are sealed.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes contact Federal.

Do you have the lot number handy for the rest of us?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes contact Federal.

Do you have the lot number handy for the rest of us?
View Quote

Sorry guys, I really have no idea what the lot number is for the bad round. I have 450rds left of the stuff that I bought a little at a time over the course of a couple years so it's various lot numbers. To make matters worse the round in question had been sitting in a mag in the night stand for probably two years and the box is long gone.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I cannot remember ever having a dud with premium ammo but I've seen premium duds in the dud barrel at my range.

It can and does happen. My first theory was a light primer strike but you eliminated that possibility with using different guns. The next theory would be too much gun oil killed the primer BUT HST primers are sealed.
View Quote

I’ve only noticed that newer (within the past year or so) HST is sealed. I have HST that’s probably 2-4yr old that isn’t sealed, but the stuff I bought last summer is definitely sealed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’ve only noticed that newer (within the past year or so) HST is sealed. I have HST that’s probably 2-4yr old that isn’t sealed, but the stuff I bought last summer is definitely sealed.
View Quote

My stuff is older and I don't notice any sealer on the primer. I haven't bought any since Trump took office, wish I would've bought more because I got the 50rd boxes cheaper then what fmj target ammo is selling for now.

ETA. I don't think oil killed the primer because I don't oil my pistols that heavily.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:29:32 AM EDT
[#8]
How are you supposed to know the lot number when the magazine is full of mixed ammo?

Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#9]
It happens. I had a 300gr Hornady Custom 454 Casual round fail to ignite in a revolver. When a 2" barrelled 454 doesn't go off, talk about puckering up for a second! Especially when this gun is supposed to be used for bear spray and you get a dud. Tried it in a different gun, still no bang. And those things are around $1.50 a whack.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How are you supposed to know the lot number when the magazine is full of mixed ammo?

Asking for a friend.
View Quote

The mag was full of ammo from one box. I just don't have the box anymore.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]
It happens.  I've seen premium ammo with primers in backwards, cases split, rounds seated upside down...you name it.  

Inspect your ammo before loading.  Line it up on a flat surface, roll it across, compare lengths, and if it is for self defense...pull the barrel from your gun and drop each round into the chamber.  Does it seat completely, drop free when turned up, and so on?  Use it...if not, toss it.  

There are units that weigh each round of loaded ammo prior to loading it into mags and drop it in a case gauge that is min spec to make sure all their ammo is 100%, has powder, and so on.  

Link Posted: 7/13/2021 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a dud Hornady 375 Ruger round.  It was a 300 grain solid plucked from a new box of Hornady dangerous game ammo.  I was sighting the rifle in for an AK hunt.  It certainly made me question the reliability of factory ammo.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It happens.  I've seen premium ammo with primers in backwards, cases split, rounds seated upside down...you name it.  

Inspect your ammo before loading.  Line it up on a flat surface, roll it across, compare lengths, and if it is for self defense...pull the barrel from your gun and drop each round into the chamber.  Does it seat completely, drop free when turned up, and so on?  Use it...if not, toss it.  

There are units that weigh each round of loaded ammo prior to loading it into mags and drop it in a case gauge that is min spec to make sure all their ammo is 100%, has powder, and so on.  

View Quote

I often weigh my carry ammo before I cycle it into my mags, if I fond a round 5 10 15 or more grains short ill set it aside for the range, it its a dud/sqiub or anything wrong ill pull the whole lot
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top