Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 4/10/2022 3:35:25 PM EDT
Ok... I'm in the poors.... i can only afford one or the other.  Which one should I get?  

Also, what is the draw to the 'fat' trigger?

Any opinions / info on the subject will help.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the 8 if you really think you're poor but can somehow afford a P7.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm getting a P7... just want to know if I should get the P7M8 or the P7M13...  

What are the pros and cons of each?  As mentioned, can't afford to do the "get both" route.

@backbencher

ETA: Sorry.  Misread your post.  So you think the P7M8.  What makes you say that?

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The M8 is considerably slimmer in the grip and easier to conceal - quite skinny really.

The M13 is even heavier than the M8.

Great, accurate, and fast-shooting guns.  They get really hot if you are running a few mags through them - way too hot during any sustained shooting.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I'm getting a P7... just want to know if I should get the P7M8 or the P7M13...  

What are the pros and cons of each?  As mentioned, can't afford to do the "get both" route.

@backbencher

ETA: Sorry.  Misread your post.  So you think the P7M8.  What makes you say that?

View Quote

It's simply more affordable for a range toy.  You've already said you can't afford to carry it & risk losing it due to use.  If you were going to carry, M13, but modern carry pistols beat it handily w/ RDS, lights, multitude of mag options, etc.  King in its day, past its prime.

Walther CCP if you're just that fascinated by gas-delayed blowback, for thousands less.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a few HK pieces: USP, VP9, SP5 and so on. Don’t have a P7. Trying to decide whether to look for a P7M8 orP7M13. Yes, it would probably be a range gun as I already have a carry piece.

I hear they are accurate. I know they can get hot with a lot of shooting. I know about the M13 having a larger / wider grip and of course the mag capacity.

As I have never held one, looking for little differences or idiosyncrasies in each.

Again, any help would be great.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a P7M8 for years....super accurate...odd feeling in the hand..great trigger....I could not hold the P7M13 very comfortably at all was way to wide and heavy for me...the P7M8 gets hot...quickly...like after 50 rounds..very hot....Other than it being a work of art I found the novelty wore off quickly to me...probably kept it 2-3years...got great money for it
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#7]
P7M8
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Just picked up a P7M8.

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#9]
The M8 and magazines are going to cost less.

M8 is going to fit in your hand better.

M13 is for collecting
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I carried the HK P7M13 for 25 years. That pistol fit my hand well. The P7M8 seemed too thin for my grip. It is a fun weapon to shoot. The fixed barrel aids in accuracy and quick follow-up shots. I liked the grip angle. Squeezing the grip cocks the striker, but it also drops the slide for really fast reloads. The M13 magazine design contributes to flawless feeding and it inserts into the magwell so easily. I considered it a perfect duty weapon. I switched to a Glock 17 6 years ago b/c most coworkers were carrying one and the P7 was not made anymore.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:04:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  I carried the HK P7M13 for 25 years. That pistol fit my hand well. The P7M8 seemed too thin for my grip. It is a fun weapon to shoot. The fixed barrel aids in accuracy and quick follow-up shots. I liked the grip angle. Squeezing the grip cocks the striker, but it also drops the slide for really fast reloads. The M13 magazine design contributes to flawless feeding and it inserts into the magwell so easily. I considered it a perfect duty weapon. I switched to a Glock 17 6 years ago b/c most coworkers were carrying one and the P7 was not made anymore.
View Quote

The M13 magazine design is only 13 rounds b/c HK cheaped out & didn't redesign the trigger bow for a traditional doublestack single feed mag.  It contributes nothing to reliable feeding over the M8 mag other than 5 more rounds.  See the doublestack Makarovs of the 90's & the HiPoint G2 Yeet Cannon for other examples of shitty coffin mags in pistols.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget about the original P7...The PSP.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a Chantilly P7M8 years ago, as I always wanted one. The 13 is a good size wider and like others have said,not as comfortable to shoot/hold, at least for me. I sold my p7m8 a few years ago as for some reason I could not shoot it well but still loved the gun. It felt good in the hand and well balanced compared to the 13. I  kick myself for not getting a PSP a few years ago when they had an influx and were only selling for $500. The only cons I can think of is the price now and cost of mags but if you gotta have one, you gotta have one. They are a cool design. Good luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#14]
As mentioned, I picked up the P7M8 and now I have even more of the HK / P7 bug.  Kind of interested in a P7M13... so I have both, but the general consensus here is that it is a fat, clunker, of a pistol.  Well, maybe not that bad, but close.  Don't understand the lack of love for the M13.

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:  As mentioned, I picked up the P7M8 and now I have even more of the HK / P7 bug.  Kind of interested in a P7M13... so I have both, but the general consensus here is that it is a fat, clunker, of a pistol.  Well, maybe not that bad, but close.  Don't understand the lack of love for the M13.

View Quote

In it's day, the M13 was briefly king, but much better guns are available today.  It was a kluged expansion of the M8, HK wasn't willing to completely redesign the gun to get even more magazine capacity.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As mentioned, I picked up the P7M8 and now I have even more of the HK / P7 bug.  Kind of interested in a P7M13... so I have both, but the general consensus here is that it is a fat, clunker, of a pistol.  Well, maybe not that bad, but close.  Don't understand the lack of love for the M13.

View Quote

The P7M13 feeds ammo more reliably than the P7M8; whereas the P7M8 ejects high pressure soft brass ammunition more reliably than the P7M13.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  The P7M13 feeds ammo more reliably than the P7M8; whereas the P7M8 ejects high pressure soft brass ammunition more reliably than the P7M13.
View Quote

Why on earth would the M13 feed ammo more reliably out of it's single feed coffin mag than the single stack single feed mag of the M8?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why on earth would the M13 feed ammo more reliably out of it's single feed coffin mag than the single stack single feed mag of the M8?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  The P7M13 feeds ammo more reliably than the P7M8; whereas the P7M8 ejects high pressure soft brass ammunition more reliably than the P7M13.

The P7M13 feeds ammo more reliably than the P7M8 because the M13's chamber is under cut to allow the larger magazine to feed, and as such that under cutting removes the two primary feed ramp spots on where  open mouth hollow points tend to jam on the P7M8. That undercutting on the M13 also allows high pressure soft brass ammo to deform tightly into the chamber flutes which can jam up a spent round tight in a P7M13 chamber, where as that same round would eject properly in a P7M8.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The P7M13 feeds ammo more reliably than the P7M8 because the M13's chamber is under cut to allow the larger magazine to feed, and as such that under cutting removes the two primary feed ramp spots on where  open mouth hollow points tend to jam on the P7M8. That undercutting on the M13 also allows high pressure soft brass ammo to deform tightly into the chamber flutes which can jam up a spent round tight in a P7M13 chamber, where as that same round would eject properly in a P7M8.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting - b/c the M13 mag isn't any wider at that point than the M8 mag.  So they tweaked the bbl geometry, which presumably could be done to an M8 bbl.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 1:16:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Interesting - b/c the M13 mag isn't any wider at that point than the M8 mag.  So they tweaked the bbl geometry, which presumably could be done to an M8 bbl.
View Quote

A little work opening up the  P7M8 feed ramp on the left and right side of the chamber would do wonders for the hollow point feeding issues they can have, and it could be done without under cutting the chamber to the extent it is on the P7M13; of course such work would greatly affect resale value down the road (and good luck finding a new factory barrel if you screw it up).
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 2:28:35 AM EDT
[#21]
If poor, get the PSP. And of the two the single stack is more comfortable for most folks. But really get to a range and try one out first. I lusted after one of these for a long time. Finally got one, and ended up selling it. One the one hand they are a truly unique firearm and a pleasure to hold, very accurate. But they aren't all that practical and get hot if you really do a lot of shooting. There are times I regret selling it, but at the same time I really don't think I would have that many occasions to take that particular gun out to the range.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 3:59:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The M8 is considerably slimmer in the grip and easier to conceal - quite skinny really.

The M13 is even heavier than the M8.
View Quote

M13 is a brick, M8 is a smaller brick. Both are priced like a gold brick. Mags are priced like small gold bricks. I thought both were super cool until I got one (owned both).

Get the M8 if you have to, I still get mine out when watching Die Hard every Christmas.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I’ve had both… go with the M8. The M13 makes a Glock feel ergonomic.

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, you have convinced me not to get an M13.  I would be interested in a PSP but the mags aren't compatible with the M8.  Yes, I know the M13's aren't either, but that is kind of a different deal... double stack.  The PSP and M8's are both single stack.  I guess I'll have to go on the hunt for a second M8.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because in the end, it has the contouring of a 2x4, and doesn't fit in most people's hands very well.  People into P7's end up with an M13 as well as it's a gotta-have rare collector piece  - that nobody actually shoots.  They all shoot their P7 and P7M8 models in reality.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Don’t forget the P7m10!

I have a P7m8 and a P7m13.  Shot the 13 once and out it away.  Such a beautiful piece.

I shot my CCW qualification with my m8.  The instructor just shook his head and said,  there is always one in every class!  Outshot everyone with that gun.  Got hot as hell after the 4 mag.

I also have two PSPs.  A fine example and another more seasoned example.  One was $500 and there other was $600 I think when they first see surpluses.   Changed out the grip panels for flat m8 grips.  The PSP have weird palm swells I didn’t like.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#27]
If I ever buy another, it will be an M13.  Just because it makes me feel better they are only 1.5-2x the cost of olden days (2015) vs. 3x like the M8s.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't understand all the hating on the M13.  I have small hands and love my M13.  I no longer carry it since I'm afraid that I will get in to a shooting incident and it will go into evidence, never to be seen again.  Once I move out of PRNY and into a free state I will probably sell it to help fund my retirement.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone know if a P7 or any other variant is available for sale? It doesn't even have to be functioning. I am looking for a project gun and they are hard to find and the ones that are available are really pricey.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:  Does anyone know if a P7 or any other variant is available for sale? It doesn't even have to be functioning. I am looking for a project gun and they are hard to find and the ones that are available are really pricey.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-Pistols/search?PageSize=96&Sort=4&View=1&Ch-manufacturerName=Heckler%20%26%20Koch%20%2F%20H%26K&Ch-model=P7

They're always going to be pricey.  It's German.  It's HK.  It's a unique design.  It hasn't been made for years.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top