Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 10/6/2018 1:22:41 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I'm thinking of adding some variety to my collection, been a glock, XD, Ruger, Sig guy forever, had a HK while ago, second gun I ever bought actually. But it was more than 15 years ago. I want to get something, but there are so many models I'm confused.

I prefer, like Xdm's 3.8, Glock 19 Size pistol sizes ( compact) for range use. Full Size, not really a fan of. A carry a P938, but thats too small. So I've had my eye on a HK P30sk, alot, but looks like I have seen a VP9 in the same size, what model do I lean towards?

thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#1]
P30SK with the Light LEM trigger. Or HK45C with the same.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
It really comes down to striker or hammer
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I might catch hell for this but I think the P series is a little bit better all around than the VP series

If I was looking at HK subs, my first choice would be P2000SK, followed by P30SK, followed by VP9SK
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I like my P30SKS  It's a great shooter.

Link Posted: 10/10/2018 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a vp9sk. It's my first hk and I like it a lot. I was trying to decide between that and a P30sk with lem trigger.

Honestly now, I kind of find myself wishing I would have gone the P30sk route. No real reason other than I appendix carry and it'd be nice to be able to ride that hammer as I holster. But then again I've been carrying a striker gun for 6 years now appendix so maybe I just want another flavor of hk .

I did try the lem trigger and and it was pretty awesome. Different, but awesome.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:11:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my P2000SK. It’s the LEM V2. I prefer a V1 and will probably convert it eventually. I’ve done it before, I have the tools and it’s not terribly difficult. V2 has a trigger pull of 7-8 lbs. as opposed to the V1 which is in the 4-5 lbs. range.

The ergonomics of the P30SK offer a little more flexibility than the P2000SK which only has two backstrap options. It would be hard to go wrong no matter what you pick.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Get range time with them first.

The VP9 feels great in the hand when gripping it, but for some people (like me, unfortunately) it pinches the trigger finger when actually shooting it.  Also the grips feel odd no matter which ones I change in when shooting - like those "ergonomic" overstyled target pistols with the funky wood grips that fit one person's hand perfectly and no one else's.

Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#8]
P2000 V2 all day, everyday and then you can get rid of all of the rest of your pistols. :)
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#9]
The P2000 and USP Compact are the same size give or take...and the USP full size is just about the same size too though the slide is longer. Really, the USPc and P2000 is not that much more compact (or I should say the full size isn't that much bigger than a compact)...so much so that I wound up carrying a full size USP more often than a P2000. A USPc or P2000 with the finger rest base plate on the mag is actually longer than a USP with a flat floorplate in the grip. If you have a local store that happens to have a range of HKs, put them down sights-down on a table so they're standing on their sights and compare them all. You can quickly tell which one has a bigger grip and which ones really are too close to care. Generally, the P30/USP/USPc/P2k grips are within a fraction of an inch of each other. The SK guns are much shorter in the grip.

It really comes down to - striker, hammer/DASA, or LEM, and from there, what feature sets you want.

Striker, you have VP9/40 and VP9/40sk ...I think the SKs are too small for comfortable use, but that's just me. By the time you add a mag extension/finger rest, you're at the same size as the USPc/P2k/USP...

LEM and DA/SA, you've got the USP series, the P2000 (and 2000sk), and the P30(and sk)/HK45 series. The USP full size brings a unique recoil reducing assembly in it which works really well (my USP 40 shoots very similarly to a 124gr+P in a G19 or P2000, honestly) and generally has the best/shortest reset of the bunch. The P2000 is largely a product improved USP Compact; the frame is a bit more ergonomic and more ambi-friendly. The P30 is a lot more ergonomic than the other HK guns, but it's also a little more hit-or-miss? There's a bunch of people out there who love the way a P30 feels but no matter how they set it up, when it's put on a timer, they run the USP appreciably better. It's one of those things you need to try for yourself to find out.

The P2k and P30 series also does not have the USP series full size recoil reducing assembly. If you're a competition shooter, the USP full size can feel a bit like it's pogo-ing under recoil when you're shooting at speed; there's two springs in the system and the 2nd buffer makes it feel like there's a weird pogo effect. It really only matters if you're trying to get splits under .25~ though...if you're not in that speed class, you'll probably never notice. If you're like me and prefer your guns to be comfortable the USP full size offers that, even in 40 and 45.

The P2k and P30/HK45 series are far more lefty friendly than the USP; the USP can get you most of the way there but the slide stop is still only on the left side of the frame. Everything else has either ambi controls, or a control that's centrally placed (decocker on the P2k/P30 series, is what I'm thinking of).

Really, given the grip evolution on HK between the USP and the P30 series, your best bet will be to go to a range that has one of each and give them a go; run a couple hundred rounds through each one. The USP isn't the most ergo gun I have but damn if it doesn't shoot and handle well, so much so that it's basically replaced my P2000. I haven't really wrung out a P30 yet, largely because I am not a fan of guns with finger grooves in them...they're almost always in the wrong spot for me. It's on my list of things to get to though.

It's worth noting...HK's DA/SA trigger feel is pretty horrible. You can clean it up but it's really not meant as a match target trigger. There's some spring tuning that can be done to lower pull weights, and you can drop in a match hammer to clean up the SA pull, but there's really only so much lipstick you can put on that particular pig. I've not tried a VP9, and the LEM is a different animal entirely, but the DA/SA guns...well, it is what it is. Once you work through it, you'll come to appreciate the trigger.

And it'll make you appreciate a well sorted out Sig DA/SA trigger that much more
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#10]
The P2000. Like a G19, but better.

Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top