Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2018 4:32:55 PM EDT
I was going to put the stock grips back on my old S.A. Lt.Wt.Loaded this morning,and two bushings came out with the grips.
So,i ordered a nice set from Harrison's.
Question is, would you use blue locktite to install,considering
the Alu. frame?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep. I put just a small drop of blue and have never had one back out.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#2]
271 Is what I use, don't plan on taking them out. blue will work, but in time you may end up with what you got now.

Why not just remove the bushings from the grips now and resue.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
271 Is what I use, don't plan on taking them out. blue will work, but in time you may end up with what you got now.

Why not just remove the bushings from the grips now and resue.
View Quote
Is 271 the red?
I got them off,but one looks bad and i don't want to
chance it with the alloy frame.
Got the new hex heads coming in a couple days,i can wait.

Thanks!

This old pistol means a lot to me.Was a gift after a big sacrifice in my life.
Going to leave it alone,grip wise,after i get it fixed.
I will pick up some red,mine is old anyway.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Be sure to degrease the threads in the frame and on the screw before applying the Loctite.

I used blue on my Combat Commander (steel frame) over 30 years ago.  Never had one come loose after that.  Only had one coming out with the screw, but I unscrewed the other three and put Loctite on them, too, just to be sure.  Once the Loctite was dry I put the screws back in and put some oil on the threads of the screw.  I carried in an area where the humidity was really bad in the summer and I sweated a lot and didn't want the screws to rust into the bushings.  Every so often I'd unscrew the grip screws, put a drop of oil on the threads and put the grips back on.  Part of the routine maintenance.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Hex and torx head screws have no place on a 1911 grip. IMHOP

With those two head styles it is easy to apply more T than the threads need, basically locking the screws into the bushings. You go to remove the screws and the hex or trox head strips out now you've  got to slot the screw head and hope it comes out, or Ive had to mill off the screw heads and replace the bushings. To me slotted screws are the only ones to use.

271 is red
243 is blue
use heat of about 350 deg F to remove
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hex and torx head screws have no place on a 1911 grip. IMHOP

With those two head styles it is easy to apply more T than the threads need, basically locking the screws into the bushings. You go to remove the screws and the hex or trox head strips out now you've  got to slot the screw head and hope it comes out, or Ive had to mill off the screw heads and replace the bushings. To me slotted screws are the only ones to use.

271 is red
243 is blue
use heat of about 350 deg F to remove
View Quote
I meant to say hex bushings,not screws,from Harrison.
They go in with a 7/32 nut driver.
Off to buy red loctite,just got ship notice on bushings.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I have never needed heat to remove red, blue, or green Loctite.  I use it a lot. 

The new hex screws may not need washers, so check the fit without first. (thought maybe a Sig, but see that it is 1911 thread)

Red is fine.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Be sure to degrease the threads in the frame and on the screw before applying the Loctite.

I used blue on my Combat Commander (steel frame) over 30 years ago.  Never had one come loose after that.  Only had one coming out with the screw, but I unscrewed the other three and put Loctite on them, too, just to be sure.  Once the Loctite was dry I put the screws back in and put some oil on the threads of the screw.  I carried in an area where the humidity was really bad in the summer and I sweated a lot and didn't want the screws to rust into the bushings.  Every so often I'd unscrew the grip screws, put a drop of oil on the threads and put the grips back on.  Part of the routine maintenance.
View Quote
Oil is not a bad idea on the screws.
I live on the Gulf Coast now,know what you mean,my motorcycles are
taking a beating down here.
Until two years ago,i was in DFW for 42 years.
Stuff just gets dusty up there. Here,it rots.
But,i'm home,and will put up with it.
Hell, i'm just glad to be out of Dallas !
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Loctite prevents water penetration on threads. 
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I think one issue is impropper grips that allow the screw to bottom out on the bushing.
I've had more bushings come out than I can count. I keep a bunch of stainless bushings and stainless screws around now. I use red locktite also.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Loctite prevents water penetration on threads. 
View Quote
For the bushing threads in the frame, but I didn't Loctite the grip screws into the bushings and didn't want them to rust from the daily sweating/wetting they got when I was on duty.

To this day, if I have a really "bad" day with the CZ 75 Compact or P01 I'll remove the grip screws and grips, wipe down the frame with an oily rag and put a drop of oil on the grip screw threads when I reinstall them.  The CZ's aren't as bad to rust under the grips (yet) as the frames are polycoated vs. blued, but I still want oil on the threads as those aren't polycoated.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have never needed heat to remove red, blue, or green Loctite.  I use it a lot. 

The new hex screws may not need washers, so check the fit without first. (thought maybe a Sig, but see that it is 1911 thread)

Red is fine.
View Quote
I dont always use heat I try by hand at first, then step up as needed.
I have esp if you use a primer and use the red in a magnesium  riser on a bow. Pulled the threads right out of the riser.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I use Challis bushings, blue Loctite, Challis o-rings, and torque the grip screws to 5 in lbs for wood grips and 12 in lbs for G10 grips. No problems so far.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use Challis bushings, blue Loctite, Challis o-rings, and torque the grip screws to 5 in lbs for wood grips and 12 in lbs for G10 grips. No problems so far.
View Quote
That's the bushings i have coming from Harrison's.
I use o-rings on my CZ's, but have not on my 1911's.
Might have to give them a try.

ETA: Parts are in and installed.
I will never use any other bushings again....these are nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top