Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2021 4:21:42 PM EDT
Been using synthetic gun grease on the rails of my m&p guns but in wondering if I should just use a regular gun oil like CLP or Weapon Shield. I haven't had any problems but I haven't had them out in the cold either. What are you guys using?
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
use a good gun oil.
I like Breakfree LP, I think they recently renamed it full synthethic.
It doesn't have the cleaner of their CLP and that makes it a hair thicker and stay put alittle better.
Grease can thicken in cold weather and harden if left on too long.

https://www.amazon.com/BreakFree-BF1009963-Lubricant-preservative/dp/B002J1OXW4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=break+free+lp&qid=1619301089&sr=8-1
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a thin grease. Everything on a handgun slides and the design of handguns means the grease has a channel to sit in as well.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m old, but I like to grease things that slide and oil things that rotate.

Modern light greases have very broad temp ranges for use.

So… I use a bit of both on my M&Ps.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to grease the rails on my 1911 until I shot out in the cold one day.   I would pull the trigger, the weapon would fire, and then I would watch the slide go back, stop, and then go forward.   It fully cycled but it took FOREVER.  It was neat to watch.   As I shot it and it warmed up it cycled faster.  Now I oil the rails on all my semi-auto pistols.

My preferred oil has been CLP for nearly thirty years.   Lately I have been trying SLIP2000EWL.  It doesn’t seam to dry as fast as CLP but the jury is still out on that one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Mobil 1
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I oil full slide rails and lightly grease tab rails, like Glock, P320.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

If you have any experience with machinery, you'd know that that has no basis in logic or real-world use. Plenty of rotating applications call for grease, and many linear call for oil, and vice versa.

I only use grease on my firearms, mostly because I have a pint of Magnalube, and grease stays put far longer. I only clean as-needed, not after every range session or on a schedule. If oil is handy, usually Mobil 1, I don't hesitate to use it, especially on hard-to-reach spots.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you have any experience with machinery, you'd know that that has no basis in logic or real-world use. Plenty of rotating applications call for grease, and many linear call for oil, and vice versa.

I only use grease on my firearms, mostly because I have a pint of Magnalube, and grease stays put far longer. I only clean as-needed, not after every range session or on a schedule. If oil is handy, usually Mobil 1, I don't hesitate to use it, especially on hard-to-reach spots.
View Quote

You’re entirely correct, I’m just old and it’s something I recall hearing from folks older than me when I was growing up.

I tend to use grease on the rails and oil on the sear and trigger… haven’t found an applicator that would let me grease those pins without detail disassembly.

As a result.. I use both.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I clean it with Slip 2000 EWL, and use their EWG on the rails.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 6:26:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mobil 1
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Works fine with either.

Tried bearing grease and saw no difference between that and CLP.

On all my guns except my M1A I use Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil. It’s outstanding and doesn’t evaporate as quick as CLP

I live in a pretty damp climate and haven’t had ANY rust problems w the M&P.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Either.  I generally go with oil on pistols.  Grease on M1, M14, etc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I live in a pretty damp climate and haven’t had ANY rust problems w the M&P.
View Quote

Have a pair of early M&Ps (full size and compact) that will show slide rust if you look at em funny… luckily it wipes right off, but I have to oil rag the slides daily when not being safe queens.

My newer M&Ps have never shown any hint of rust. I wonder what’s changed… because they got better
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I clean with CLP and lube with a bit of red high temperature lithium grease and a bit of CLP
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Get both. I mix red lithium grease and Mobil 1 to about the consistency of gel toothpaste.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Mobil 1
View Quote

This. Mobil 1 0w40 'European Formula' true synthetic.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My excellent local gunsmith told me for guns use the "grease things that slide, and oil things that rotate" mantra as well.  Shrug.

I'm sure it can get more complicated than that but a one sentence that works pretty well is all I'm going to remember, I'm not a mechanic or mechanical engineer.

Or better yet, look at your owners manual and do what it recommends.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#18]
NLGI no.2 Red Synthetic High Temp Grease on all handguns. It stays put and works and never dries out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Cherrybalmz winter blend on my handguns, when it's gone I'll buy some NLGI 00 "grease" to replace it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top