Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2018 1:56:37 PM EDT
I have one of the early colt govt models with the xse package but this was back before they still had govt cut 3’dot sights. Is it possible to get the slide recut to take novak or something else for sights?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, easiest option is just to send the slide to Novak for installation.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe the rear was Novak but the front was the odd ball. Take a look at Harrison Design. He has Novak cut and the C More front cut. As a benifit he has measurements.

Harrison Design Front Colt Sights
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:07:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking about sending it to Novak. I just wanted to know if it was possible to have the govt cuts changed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The one I have is one of the early XSE models. It’s a gun I really value. It was my first 1911 and my dad worked for colt and the XSE was one of his projects.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:11:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Is the front dovetailed?
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the front dovetailed?
View Quote
No it is not
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No it is not
View Quote
Sorry, I thought all XS and XSE Colts had dovetails and that there were 2 styles of cuts. Interesting that there was one with "standard" GI cuts.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Converting from staked on tenons to dovetails is not all that hard.

A flat bottom end mill removes most of the metal and a dovetail cutter for the edges of the slot.

I much prefer to cut the edges separately instead of trying for a single pass cutting both sides.
Taking multiple passes on each side lowers side force on the cutter also.

I have even been known to use a cutter that has been sharpened multiple times with a slightly reduced diameter for initial cut.

A new cutter makes the very last clean up pass.

Making dovetails larger is simple.

Reducing them is a PITA.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Converting from staked on tenons to dovetails is not all that hard.

A flat bottom end mill removes most of the metal and a dovetail cutter for the edges of the slot.

I much prefer to cut the edges separately instead of trying for a single pass cutting both sides.
Taking multiple passes on each side lowers side force on the cutter also.

I have even been known to use a cutter that has been sharpened multiple times with a slightly reduced diameter for initial cut.

A new cutter makes the very last clean up pass.

Making dovetails larger is simple.

Reducing them is a PITA.
View Quote
I've got a dovetail reducer right next to my 2x4 stretcher. Let me know next time you need one, or a PRC-E8
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sorry, I thought all XS and XSE Colts had dovetails and that there were 2 styles of cuts. Interesting that there was one with "standard" GI cuts.
View Quote
It's an early one. I've only seen one other one that was GI style. It was another blue one like the one I have.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 6:05:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Here’s a third. I’ve been contemplating between a national match rear dovetail or just getting it Novak cut.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Very cool. I know Colt had the XS series earlier and then the XSE, 2 different sight cuts at the front. Weird seeing/hearing about 3 different XSEs with staked sights. It is Colt though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here’s a third. I’ve been contemplating between a national match rear dovetail or just getting it Novak cut.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/440174/699CEA87-18A7-48E0-ABBE-8018D24A7F5E_jpeg-787146.JPG
View Quote
Let me know if you get it Novak cut and who does it for you
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#14]
a Swensight uses the original Colt dovetail but moves the rear blade to behind the top of the slide, and provides a BoMar sight picture... as commented, easy to cut the front for a dovetail... Swensight may be available on the new old stock market... Maryland Gun Works  makes a similar sight, but not as classy looking as the one by Swenson

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=maryland+gun+works+rear+sights&qpvt=maryland+gun+works+rear+sights&FORM=IGRE
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an old Commander that Robar had done their reliability package and NP3 on.  I ended up sending it to XS for Novak cuts front and rear.  They installed my sights as well (they were Silencerco/XS sights).  They did a nice job on the cuts.  Took about two months.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:43:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Post a pic of their work if you can
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#17]
" />
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Who did the cut for you and what sights are those?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top