Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2018 3:15:54 PM EDT
Just curious what might be the best Self defense round for a 6" barrel in .38 Special.  Most of the tests are done with 2" barrels.  Or Lucky Gunner has 2 and 4" tests.  But I've yet to see any 6" tests.  I don't think.  I think I googled it and didn't see much if any at all in gel.  I think there was one in milk jugs and water.

So @bluefalcon, have you done any testing?  I saw your test with "your wife's" lever carbine.  I thought that was funny how you said it seems like your wife is taking over all your guns.  LOL.

Here is the big caveat to this question.  No lead.  I don't feel like cleaning lead out of the barrel.

I know the 158 +p LSWC are a great choice.  But I was wondering if there was a jacketed (or solid copper) type bullet that someone has tested in a 6" barrel.  I don't know all the tests bluefalcon has done or anyone else for that matter.

And just to clarify, I contacted Corbon and Speer and Speer doesn't recommend their 135 grain +p .38 in longer barrels.  It is designed for short barrels.  Cor bon did say theirs would still penetrate appropriately from a 6" barrel. But they had no test to back up the claim.  But that might be a good one to use.

I wonder how the new Federal HST would do in a longer barrel.

I know that guys like me that might use a bigger revolver for Home Defense are a dyeing breed.  So I realize there might not be any tests out there and to do a test for just a few guys is silly.  But honestly, I think there may be more revolver toters in the real world than Arfcom likes to admit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't tested it much, but 110gr COR-BON DPX  and 125gr Gold Dot should be good. I think I tested PDX way back in the day. If this thread generates much interest, I might do some 4" barrel testing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if you saw about me talking to Speer and just ignoring it cuz you have different results or what.  I'm curious as to how it would actually work in a longer barrel but they said to not use it in a 6" barrel.

Lucky Gunner did pretty comprehensive testing of 2" and 4" barrel.  So we need 6" tests.    Wink wink nudge nudge.  There are other 6"ers out there.  LOL.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I think either solid copper bullets or bonded bullets like the Winchester Rangers would do the best with the extra speed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:37:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Oooh, good suggestion.  It did well in the 4" and 2" in lucky gunners test. And penetrated deeper in the 4", so it looks like you may be right.   Thank you!  Still would be nice to see some 6" tests......

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I would use the Federal HST Micro, as it was the best performer in both 2" and 4" barrels in the Lucky gunner test.

2" velocity = 824fps
4" velocity = 854fps

= +30fps per 2" of barrel

Assuming that rate of increase holds true, you're looking at 884fps from a 6", which is still plenty slow, and likely to offer nearly identical performance to the 4".

The 4" provided 14.1" penetration and .71" expansion. Worst case with the 6" is you get like .60" and 18" penetration, which would still be fantastic for .38.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:49:14 PM EDT
[#6]
The problem with just extrapolating out like that is sometimes there are diminishing returns.  If that is the proper term here.  It may open up more, but that may actually prove to show less penetration.  Which is why it's nice to have a test to back it up.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
If you look at the numbers on lucky Gunner some of the bullets from 4" barrels final diameter is actually smaller. My thinking is that the extra velocity pushes the petals back father after maximum expansion width was reached.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:07:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I've noticed that Walmart is carrying the Winchester bonded ammo.

I've seen some tests where the .38 HST failed miserably through Auto Glass. I'm not sure if it's the nature of the bullet profile or what.

Pushing a bullet faster I want bonded or monolithic. Actually, the xtps might be a good choice. They don't even open up out of a 4". 6" barrels might do it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#9]
The 125+p Remington sjhp 100/$30 do pretty well too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I think I heard someone else talk about this load.  Or maybe it was a different brand.   Probably on youtube or something. I think Magtech makes one too. Although I seem to recall it being non plus p.  But your right, that might be a good way to go.  It certainly is a lot cheaper.  Good luck finding a test on that though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 5:37:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Speer makes a 125gr +p, as bluefalcon suggested. It’s not a short barrel load.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Aaaah, I was confusing the 135 with this 125 you guys are saying.....  I'll look that up.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:01:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you look at the numbers on lucky Gunner some of the bullets from 4" barrels final diameter is actually smaller. My thinking is that the extra velocity pushes the petals back father after maximum expansion width was reached.
View Quote
That's correct, the HST Micro is optimized for the 2", so actually its expansion "shrank" from 0.75" to 0.71" when fired from the 4" due to the extra velocity pushing the petals further back. Penetration increased correspondingly as well.

So, there is no real risk of overexpansion pushing it in a 6" - the expansion will decrease slightly and penetration will increase.

But, being a standard pressure, non +p, its likely to gain minimal extra velocity by going to a 6".
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I thought it was a plus p?????  Yeah, it shows it being a plus p.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/524684/federal-premium-personal-defense-micro-ammunition-38-special-p-130-grain-hydra-shok-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20

Anybody see any gel tests on the honey badger, black hills .38 out of any length barrel?  I'm just curious.

This 125 grain semi jacketed lead hollow point could be good too.....  For a longer barrel.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/111805/remington-high-terminal-performance-ammunition-38-special-p-125-grain-semi-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-50

I was wrong, the magtech one IS a plus p

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/589913/magtech-sport-ammunition-38-special-p-158-grain-semi-jacketed-soft-point-box-of-50

waaaait, the have it in standard pressure too.  I did see it.  LOL

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/782510/magtech-sport-ammunition-38-special-158-grain-semi-jacketed-soft-point-box-of-50

I wonder what this one would be like.  I should contact them.  I wonder if they do gel testing....  This round is zinging!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/132030/buffalo-bore-ammunition-38-special-short-barrel-110-grain-barnes-tac-xp-hollow-point-lead-free-box-of-20

Looks like they also have that in plus p

Out of a 6" barrel this load says it's doing 1438 fps.    1287 from a 4"

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/422341/buffalo-bore-ammunition-38-special-p-110-grain-barnes-tac-xp-hollow-point-lead-free-box-of-20
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#15]
You're right, it is a +p. But, it seems to be a very mild +p - it only gained +30fps from doubling the barrel length from 2"-4". there's no reason to believe its going to radically increase velocity by going from 4" to 6".

It's not like .357, which goes from 1150fps/2" to 1450fps/4".

The micro HST is the load I would choose though - the design isn't going to overexpand, or fail to expand - both problems with virtually all of the other .38 loads in the Lucky Gunner test.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 2:20:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I hear ya.  You might be right, there may not be much to be concerned with in the way of changes.  But I do know this, that sometimes a bit of barrel makes a huge difference in velocity and performance of a bullet.  With AR's I've seen it said that sometimes there are greater increases at different points in a barrel.  And I'll just show the 110 +p buffalo bore chart to make that example.  There is a HUGE difference between the 4" and 6".  But like you say, it's probably moreso because velocity is already high on it.  I just don't want to assume what load might do better.  But there may be no other way of knowing......  Cuz I just don't see many 6" tests.

1438 fps -- Ruger GP 100, 6 inch barrel

1287 fps -- S&W Model 15, 4 inch barrel

1210 fps -- S&W Model 66, 3 inch barrel

1202 fps -- Ruger SP101, 3 inch barrel

1149 fps -- S&W Model 66, 2.5 inch barrel

1119 fps -- S&W Model 60, 2 inch barrel

1104 fps -- S&W Model 340, 2 inch barrel
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:15:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I hear ya.  You might be right, there may not be much to be concerned with in the way of changes.  But I do know this, that sometimes a bit of barrel makes a huge difference in velocity and performance of a bullet.  With AR's I've seen it said that sometimes there are greater increases at different points in a barrel.  And I'll just show the 110 +p buffalo bore chart to make that example.  There is a HUGE difference between the 4" and 6".  But like you say, it's probably moreso because velocity is already high on it.  I just don't want to assume what load might do better.  But there may be no other way of knowing......  Cuz I just don't see many 6" tests.

1438 fps -- Ruger GP 100, 6 inch barrel

1287 fps -- S&W Model 15, 4 inch barrel

1210 fps -- S&W Model 66, 3 inch barrel

1202 fps -- Ruger SP101, 3 inch barrel

1149 fps -- S&W Model 66, 2.5 inch barrel

1119 fps -- S&W Model 60, 2 inch barrel

1104 fps -- S&W Model 340, 2 inch barrel
View Quote
Well, in the Buffalo bore load, the difference between 2" (1119fps) and 4" (1287fps) is +168fps per 2".

The difference from 4"(1287) to 6"(1438) is +151fps.

So there was actually a bit more of a velocity increase going from 2" to 4" then there was going from 4" to 6".

The HST gains 30fps going from 2" to 4" - based on the Buffalo Bore test, we would expect to see less then +30fps going from 4" to 6".

If you or a friend has a chrono, you can just shoot the HST's over the chrono and see how much faster they are then the Luckygunner test.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, I did that math too.

I do have a friend with a chrono and that's not a bad idea.  Wanna know what I find the most interesting thing about Lucky Gunner's test?  He shows Critical Defense non plus p 110 grain performing really well.  I think I might buy some of that.  A lot of the guys at Smith and Wesson forum carry it.  I do know that supposedly his test gel blocks are a little bit different than the standard protocol gel blocks......  So i'm not sure what to think there.  It must come close to adequate penetration though.  And I think it performs about equal from a 2" and 4" barrel.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, I did that math too.

I do have a friend with a chrono and that's not a bad idea.  Wanna know what I find the most interesting thing about Lucky Gunner's test?  He shows Critical Defense non plus p 110 grain performing really well.  And I think it performs about equal from a 2" and 4" barrel.
View Quote
The Hornady has pretty mediocre performance - 0.44-0.46" expansion vs 0.71-0.75" for the HST - and both penetrated the same.

The Hornady also gains more velocity then the HST from 2" to 4" - which only gains +30fps

Hornady 2" (858fps) 4" (953fps) = +95fps.

I don't see why that would be your choice - it expands less, penetrates the same, and gains more velocity then the HST.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 3:29:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry, I switched gears and was thinking about it in my 442 and not the 6" Model 19.  The model 19 I'd prefer a +p that performs well from a 6" barrel.  So yeah, the HST's might be fine. Only thing is I'm not attempting a stressful relaod with those.  I would prefer something with a slant or rounder profile to help guide them in.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 6:07:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think I heard someone else talk about this load.  Or maybe it was a different brand.   Probably on youtube or something. I think Magtech makes one too. Although I seem to recall it being non plus p.  But your right, that might be a good way to go.  It certainly is a lot cheaper.  Good luck finding a test on that though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looked good in this test. Also, I think this is one of Paul Harrell's favorite .38 special loads.

38+P Rem 125gr SJHP GP100 Ballistic Gel Test
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, that looks good.  Still just a 4" barrel though.  

I'm guessing it would be good.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 8:56:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the rem suggestion.  I will look into it further.

Right now my 38 round of choice is 158gr lead swc hp 158gr +p. Either Underwood or Buffalo bore.

Eta
From what I gather. The Majority of 38spl loads fail in 2in and start to do ok in 4in. 6in would probably be "just right" in terms of bullet performance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top