Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2018 11:05:25 PM EDT
Like the title I have shot a 19 for the past 3-4 years at uspsa.    But I use if for HD so never fuck with it in terms of modifying it.

Bought a 34.  Messed with the trigger, mag well, grip tape, comp Dawson sights....first time
Shooting it at a match it's like I can't find the front sight

Almost like the longer sight picture is harder to acquire quicker than the 19

Am I a dipshit that should just give up or does any of this make sense?

Just more time with the 34 needed?   I figured it would have been like driving tacks with it out of the bag

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Same issues with a 17L, 34 and 17. The 19 shot the best and seemed much flatter shooting overall.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Cannot tell a huge difference between my 19 17 or 34 but I prefer the 17.

I do have them all configured the same trigger just different sights but similar.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I started shooting my stock 19 in USPSA last year after switching back to a 19 for carry. It satisfied my tactical timmy fantasies.

Curious OP, what has your classification path been the last 3-4 years? Do you think you’re at a point where gear is holding you back?

I’m looking for motivation to shoot a G19. Training like you fight is great and all but so is winning. Lol
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Let me get this straight.

You have been shooting an unmodified Glock 19 for several years.

You go buy another Glock whose grip/frame/slide are all different than your other Glock on which you have all your training reps.

You then go and modify it completely differently than your other Glock on which you have all your training reps.

You are then surprised when it behaves differently than the old gun, causing you to shoot more poorly than normal.

Obviously I'm being facetious.  But you'll have to admit it's a bit absurd to conclude you shoot your G19 "better" given the sample size and the circumstances.

Full size guns are better for shooting games, period.  There is a reason you don't see any top competitors (heck, even what I would consider regionally competitive GMs) shooting compact guns in USPSA.  The more gripping area = more space to apply force to control recoil.  Sight radius is not all that important, but it will introduce significant changes in how the sights track and behave in recoil.  That's what you're experiencing.  Your index and recoil management is tuned to a specific gun, it's crazy to expect no changes when you pick up a different gun.  You need more time on the new gun, that's all.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Full size guns are better for shooting games, period.  There is a reason you don't see any top competitors (heck, even what I would consider regionally competitive GMs) shooting compact guns in USPSA.  The more gripping area = more space to apply force to control recoil.  Sight radius is not all that important, but it will introduce significant changes in how the sights track and behave in recoil.  That's what you're experiencing.  Your index and recoil management is tuned to a specific gun, it's crazy to expect no changes when you pick up a different gun.  You need more time on the new gun, that's all.  
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#7]
My old friend Phil preferred the 17 over the 34 for USPSA.

There is obviously a difference between the two -'but not much of a difference.

Is the 19 as good as the longer Glocks?  Doubtful - and as pointed out above, you won't find any Glock GMs shooting a 19 in USPSA, as far as I know.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Arfcom - the only place in the world where the majority of people shoot a 19 better than a 34

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Arfcom - the only place in the world where the majority of people shoot a 19 better than a 34

View Quote
I do shoot my 19 equally compared to my 34.... if you count only slow fire accuracy.  Cannot tell you why.  But head to head it's always the same.

But there is no way in hell I shoot the 19 better as in faster and accurate, than my 34... like in USPSA or 3gun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I started shooting my stock 19 in USPSA last year after switching back to a 19 for carry. It satisfied my tactical timmy fantasies.

Curious OP, what has your classification path been the last 3-4 years? Do you think you’re at a point where gear is holding you back?

I’m looking for motivation to shoot a G19. Training like you fight is great and all but so is winning. Lol
View Quote
No, I never thought my I was outshooting my g19

I wanted to put a magwell on it as the bottom was getting chewed up, I wanted to add grip tape since the gen3 was slick as hell without  bowling rosin in the summer, and I wanted to smooth out the trigger

I liked shooting the g19 since I carry it and took a few vickers classes with it and just like the gun in general.    But it is my wife's HD gun so didn't want to fuck it up adding gaming crap to it

I was thinking of getting another one to just game but just got a nice 34 on the EE

Like the other posters said, and I figured it was the same, but I just need more time with the gun

My main reason for posting was that I have read some on the brian enos forums where people said they shot better with their g19....clearly a majority shoot better with the 34 at the end of the day

I'll just put in the practice time

Thanks all
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I haven't tried that, but I noticed no difference in performance between a G17 and G34. I was at a club that would put steel at 50 yards to mess with us, and I was able to hit that with both. I'm sure if I hadn't added an RMR to my 19 I would do the same with it.

My experience is that longer guns have a better balance which doesn't really affect my performance, and shorter guns are quicker to draw which doesn't affect my performance. I'm a strong proponent of "run what you brung" and usually use my concealment holsters when allowed.

In the end, it makes a very small difference. Most folks aren't good enough to notice.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Your eyes sees things differently at different distances than other people's eyes do.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#13]
To me it's the grip shape.   I struggled with a 34 twice in USPSA.  Have consistently been a decent A class shooter with a 19.  The compact and full size grips are different enough that they could be considered an entirely different gun, not large and small of the same thing.

Single Stack was my game and I was always a high A Class and would sometimes get up into M territory.  With a good 1911.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I've won a couple local USPSA matches with a stock 19X
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:42:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I shoot my 26 better than my 19.  Both are bone stock.  I think it has to do with sight alignment and my astigmatism.  

I shoot my Sig P320 better than either.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I shoot my 17 much better/faster than my friends 34
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#18]
It definitely is counterintuitive but some shooters will shoot the smaller guns better than the longer slide guns. I myself find I shoot the 26 better than any other Glock ( 17,19,35 etc) the difference is very marginal but at least for me ( I sure am not a uspsa grand master or anything) I get no advantage in the “actual shooting” between the various sizes.
When you break it down to various aspects, I suspect things like the longer grip and mags would make reloads faster, and perhaps the sight radius may be more forgiving on smaller or longer range targets with the longer guns.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I "had" a 17L, have a 34, 17, 19, and a 26.  I shoot the 26 better and faster than any of them with the 12 shot mag.  I don't shoot competition, but I can smoke some steel with that little pistol.

None are modified other than all had night sights.

I ended up selling the 17L.  Shot it the worst of all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top