Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2020 10:04:55 AM EDT
I have a Caspian 1911 with a bunch of EB & WC parts that I had a “gunsmith” hastily put together about 10 years ago because I was impatient. I shot a few boxes of ammo through it and put it back in the safe where it’s been since. Everything is properly installed but it lacks the finishing touch that I wanted for this gun and it’s time to rectify that.

It needs to be properly fitted (trigger/Thumb & beaver tail safety, grip plugs, sights etc), have some basic metal cleanup & checkering done and then get refinished. I’m on somewhat of a budget so looking for a someone who does quality work at a fair price which I may have to wait some time for. Any recommendations for reputable smiths out there that fir that description?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag. I am in the exact same boat.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Since you're only going to have one chance to get it done right, Wilson Combat
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Contact Evolution Armory.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey OP, before giving a useful answer to someone qualified in your region, we need to know what state of section of the US you are in.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, not to hijack this thread from OP, but I am in need of a smith. I'm located in NC, but I do not have any issues shipping this handgun to a reputable gunsmith. I started a build around 10 years ago as well with very nice parts. I never got around to finishing it completely. What I really need done is:
-final blending of the beaver tail grip safety
-validate/or finish timing on barrel
-potentially cleaning up the rear sight cuts (I buggered them with a file; likely needs the cuts cleaned up on a mill and an oversized Heinie sight)
-bead blasting/sand blasting entire gun

I would like to do this myself, however, I want it done right and do not have the time to invest in it myself.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:48:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Steve Owens- Integrity Arms Custom
Chuck Rogers- Rogers Precision
Jason Burton- Heirloom Precision
Lou- Business End Customs
View Quote
Chuck Rogers isn't taking new work (still), and Burton is nowhere near inexpensive, although his work is outstanding.  He also has a long wait list.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Try Don Williams at The Action Works.  Last time I talked to him he had about a year wait, but he does great work and isn't over-priced for what you get.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Most of the big names are not going to work on a gun that someone else has already worked on.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:36:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Chuck Rogers isn't taking new work (still), and Burton is nowhere near inexpensive, although his work is outstanding.  He also has a long wait list.
View Quote
I also forgot Valor Precision LLC they are on FB and Intsa did an outstanding job on Bro Nape’s MEUSOC

NightHawk has good prices and a decent turn around.

Chuck Rogers just did some work on one of my guns and is scheduled to do some smalls on two more.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Innovative Custom Guns
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hey OP, before giving a useful answer to someone qualified in your region, we need to know what state of section of the US you are in.
View Quote
Sorry, I’m in NY.

ETA: Location isn’t super important. I don’t mind shipping for the right situation.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Call Tim Davis at RTD Precision.  He's located near Fayetteville.

Tim teaches a 1911 class at the community college in Fayetteville, and a two week class in Troy in late summer. So those are options.  Tim received his inutial training from Bob Marvel.
View Quote
Do you have contact information for Tim? I cannot seem to find him online anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Angus Arms.com
All guard match armorer worked the truck at Perry for years
Check his FB page
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#18]
OP,  I’d find the local gunsmith the IDPA & USPSA shooters (local gun club) take their guns for work.  Local competitors are less likely to box up their guns and ship them off for simple work.  They need quality work, for a fair price with a quick turnaround.

It might be worth an email to the local club’s uspsa coordinator.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Doug Jones in Rochester Hills, MI is pretty quick.

He has built me three guns all within a year and a half.

First was a FEG Hi Power. Work included refitting a hammer and setting the trigger pull to 4 pounds. Cut front sight dovetail and fit a night sight front sight.  Novak cut the rear and fit a MMC adjustable rear sight.  Grind the stock thumb safety flat and weld on an extended lever.  Mini Bob and checker the hammer. All the work done was reasonably priced and turn around was three weeks.

The safety isn't the purdiest.  But it does work and has never disengaged while carrying it IWB.

Number two was a combat Winchester Model 12. Cut barrel, cut buttstock and add a recoil pad along with a hi viz front sight. Turn around was three weeks.

Number three was a Colt Government Model that he did a 4 pound trigger job, match bushing, Accurailed, Wilson extended thumb safety, dovetail cut for a night sight front sight and added a Harrison GI style rear sight. Turn around was a month.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Jim milks

innovative custom guns

I have no experience, but looking at having him to some work
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Doug Jones in Rochester Hills, MI is pretty quick.
View Quote
Doug has built several guns for me including USPSA open and limited guns, a few carry 1911's, and even a couple of Glocks.  His prices are very reasonable, and his turnaround time is very good. He currently has one of my Commander 1911 slides putting a Holosun 507 on it.  He also is very easy to get a hold of by phone and is willing to spend time talking to you about small and large jobs.  His website is www.acc-u-rail.com
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Pulled the old beast out of the back of the safe this morning. Her reflection almost cracked the camera lens but I assured her that we were gonna have her prettied up sooner rather than later

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been using Jim Milks of Innovative Custom Guns in PA.  Jim used to work for George Smith of EGW.  Jim is a master of the 1911. Does amazing cosmetic work.
http://www.innovativecustomguns.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top