Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2018 10:37:28 PM EDT
I'm thinking about picking up a dovetail mount for my glock 17, to see if I like it. Then maybe I'll spring for slide to me milled

what brands do you guys like, or dislike and why?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:50:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I had egw...it was fine. Downside is red dot is too high...I ended up buying a new predrilled milled slide
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#2]
This is my thing, I’m in the same boat. About to buy a new Gen5 Glock 19 to replace my Shield 9 for carry, and I want to get into the RMR. Thought about a dovetail mount but as said before, I think it puts the dot up so high that you’re not really getting the experience of what it’s really like on a milled slide and people might turn away from it because of the dovetail mount. So I’m considering on buying as cheap of a Gen 4 precut slide as I can find, that way I can practice and dry fire with the dot to see if I like it and get used to using it, but I can still carry the G19’s with the stock slide until I’m ready to make the jump to having the dot on a carry gun. I was going to just go all in and send the 19 off as soon as I got it and have the slide milled but then I started thinking it might not be the best idea to carry it with the dot right away until I’m used to shooting with it. Can always sell the aftermarket slide and get most of your money back once you decide to go milled.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#3]
This is just my experience and opinion therefore it is free.

I have a milled Brownells slide and several Dueck Defense dovetail mounts with built in back up sights. I don't even have sights on the Brownells because, with my older eyes, iron sights are nothing but a blur now. I find the back up sights on the Dueck to be merely a nice to have formality at this point.

Adapting to a pistol mounted red dot takes training/practice, but I have not found it to be nearly as cumbersome as some people describe. I don't see any difference in my milled slide versus the Dueck Defense mount in speed and target acquisition. But even if there is a slight difference, the benefits of the RMR, in general, are worth it to me at this stage in my life.

The Dueck Defense mount is easy to install and costs a whole heck of a lot less than custom milling for sure.

I think you need to keep in mind that things happen fast in this industry and change is constant. We have witnessed the greatest advancement of modern martial arts in history since 911 and the GWOT.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a venom on longjn mount on the Glock 17.  Makes shooting much more fun since I am not struggling with seeing iron sights and targets.  Takes a bit of practice to acquire the dot quickly but its great for distance shooting (>30 ft) where my eye fail to see the target clearly  if I concentrate on the blurry front sight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top